Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    boe

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

Default Would you recommend the Nexus or a different Verizon phone?

I'm switching to Verizon today kind of unexpectedly.

If you had to buy a Verizon android phone - which one would you get? I've heard about some issues with the Nexus but I don't know if the sound issue and signal issue are common or not as I haven't done much research on it.

Any input would be appreciated from someone who is on Verizon and actually using this phone or switched to another on Verizon

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

If you are into rooting and running custom roms, and/or you want to have the latest version of android, then you want the nexus. If neither of those appeal to you then honestly you'd probably be happy with a razr. Moto's radios are better, Fwiw. But I love my nexus

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Default Re: Would you recommend the Nexus or a different Verizon phone?

I've had mine for 2 months and I love it. I've not had any problems with signal (but I'm not in a 4G area) nor the volume (there's an app for that). The thing you've got to ask yourselft is whether you want this large of a phone because it's a little bigger than the iPhone (the prototype touchscreen Verizon phone). You've gotta ask yourself if 4G is important to you (it's not to me obviously). You've gotta charge it every night. This phone has a killer screen, and the new ICS operation system is great. Those are its strongest qualities. If you want a smaller phone the iPhone is excellent (my wife loves hers). There aren't many snazzy cases for this phone either.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    boe

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

Thanks

I want a BIG *** screen
    I want 4G when I tether - not often but I want it once every few months for about an three hours (airport)
    I barely use data otherwise - I have used 200MB for the past 2 months on my old phone.
    I do need clear voice and reliable call quality - I hated the HTC EVO 3D as it would drop calls frequently.

I own both the GN and RAZR MAXX and as they sit right now the MAXX works much better than the GN stock. I would not get a GN until they release an OTA update that fixes the known issues with the GN.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

I have nothing to compare it to (well, that's current), but individual's users faults/experiences included, it's the top Android on Verizon IMHO. Best screen, best design (IMHO), best mix of inner hardware, and stock Android OS + 2 somewhat meaningless Verizon apps.

However, the RAZR series and Rezound are both nice phones and IMO there's not much distance between those and the GN.

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    If you are into rooting and running custom roms, and/or you want to have the latest version of android, then you want the nexus. If neither of those appeal to you then honestly you'd probably be happy with a razr. Moto's radios are better, Fwiw. But I love my nexus

Disagree. Had 4 Moto's in a row prior to the Nexus and the radios were garbage on every one. I got searching on several places where every other phone would have at least had basic coverage (3G).

Now with Nexus i am getting coverage at those places.

Rezound has better radio than Moto too, BTW.

If I was buying another phone today, Nexus is the only one I would even consider. It's the best phone I've owned.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Live2ride883 likes this.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JtothaR View Post
    Disagree. Had 4 Moto's in a row prior to the Nexus and the radios were garbage on every one. I got searching on several places where every other phone would have at least had basic coverage (3G).

I think its kinda harsh to say that X phones suck and Y phone is better.. Each model/maker works slightly different and in different areas/locations.

For example... I've been a long time VZW customer and had been using blackberrys for a long time (work issued phone). When I was on the BB 8xxx world edition phone.. I was getting excellent at my residence.. switched over the the curve, reception dropped significantly.. switched over to the previous Bold... service was somewhat better..

I'm currently using the Nexus. horrible reception where i live. I'm am in the 4G map (nyc) and i still do not have any 4G service, until i step outside of my apt... Meanwhile, my GF has the HTC thunderbolt, she has 4G coverage, where as i do not..

You have to test out the Nexus in your given area. Its tough to say the Nexus sucks/awesome based on other ppls opinions. One's bad opinion may not reflect of your given Nexus and your location.

Overall, I like the phone. Its fast and functions just the way i need it to be. Bad part, maybe its bc i was a blackberry user... Lack of real time pushed emails... Gmail sync works ok, but has a slight delay... Where as blackberry out performs Iphones/Androids....

i give it 8/10... maybe a 9/10 if they can figure out a battery life fix.. But highly improbable at this time....
    jroc likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by eugenetsang View Post
    I think its kinda harsh to say that X phones suck and Y phone is better.. Each model/maker works slightly different and in different areas/locations.

For example... I've been a long time VZW customer and had been using blackberrys for a long time (work issued phone). When I was on the BB 8xxx world edition phone.. I was getting excellent at my residence.. switched over the the curve, reception dropped significantly.. switched over to the previous Bold... service was somewhat better..

I'm currently using the Nexus. horrible reception where i live. I'm am in the 4G map (nyc) and i still do not have any 4G service, until i step outside of my apt... Meanwhile, my GF has the HTC thunderbolt, she has 4G coverage, where as i do not..

You have to test out the Nexus in your given area. Its tough to say the Nexus sucks/awesome based on other ppls opinions. One's bad opinion may not reflect of your given Nexus and your location.

Overall, I like the phone. Its fast and functions just the way i need it to be. Bad part, maybe its bc i was a blackberry user... Lack of real time pushed emails... Gmail sync works ok, but has a slight delay... Where as blackberry out performs Iphones/Androids....

i give it 8/10... maybe a 9/10 if they can figure out a battery life fix.. But highly improbable at this time....
    Regarding the sync delay, I've never experienced this. Do you mean when first syncing? I've literally watched conversations in Talk on my phone as I type on my computer. Kinda cool.
    Thanked by:
    MrVeda 

Quote Originally Posted by boe View Post
    Thanks

I want a BIG *** screen
    I want 4G when I tether - not often but I want it once every few months for about an three hours (airport)
    I barely use data otherwise - I have used 200MB for the past 2 months on my old phone.
    I do need clear voice and reliable call quality - I hated the HTC EVO 3D as it would drop calls frequently.
    Have you seen the Samsung Galaxy Note? That's bigass (but only ATT which is smallass)! I've heard it's like putting a ham sandwich up to your ear lol.
    Be careful relying on anecdotal advice about dropped calls, signals, etc. Most of that is probably user related. A few GN people had to return there phones early and everything was OK, so there may have been a few bad apples, but that was unusual IMO. LTE is still a work in progress too.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

You may disagree from your experience, but its a very well known and agreed upon fact that moto tends to produce the best radios. Not trying to start a war over it, lol, but they do.

Of course, there will be someone in every thread who's had some terrible experience that goes against the norm and swears all other testimony is just baloney

Fwiw, I had the bionic for 3 months before I got the Nex and haven't noticed much difference. I think the Nex holds data signal better, but the bionic had clearer voice calls, even tho the Nex's are fine, IMO.

Thanked by:
    jroc and jefmoody like this.

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    You may disagree from your experience, but its a very well known and agreed upon fact that moto tends to produce the best radios. Not trying to start a war over it, lol, but they do.

Of course, there will be someone in every thread who's had some terrible experience that goes against the norm and swears all other testimony is just baloney
    Maybe you can refer(link) me to these "facts" and "testimony".

I'm totally willing to read and or listen to them.

Every experience I've had has been contrary as are those of people I know. It wasn't just me. Unless you're referring to the radios they used to make pre-2000's, then I'd 100% agree with you, although I hardly see how that fact would be relevant in any way to this discussion.

EDIT: Speaking of which, did they even produce them back then? Or wasn't it Qualcomm?

Maybe you can refer(link) me to these "facts" and "testimony".

I'm totally willing to read and or listen to them.

Every experience I've had has been contrary as are those of people I know. It wasn't just me. Unless you're referring to the radios they used to make pre-2000's, then I'd 100% agree with you, although I hardly see how that fact would be relevant in any way to this discussion.
    I think if you use the search function, you will see plenty "facts" and "testimony" that you are willing to "listen" to. It's common knowledge the Nexus has signal issues. Yes I have had first hand experience with this phone.

Motorola has the best radios and the best reception. It's really not that big of a secret.

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybigshot View Post
    I think if you use the search function, you will see plenty "facts" and "testimony" that you are willing to "listen" to. It's common FUD the Nexus has signal issues. Yes I have had first hand experience with this phone.

Motorola has the best radios and the best reception. It's really not that big of a secret.
    Fixed that for you...

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

And nobody was debating about the Nexus.... So thanks for your snarky troll post...

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by eugenetsang View Post

You may be correct to a point. But, there is one glaringly significant difference between the Nexus and almost all of the other phones out there. It has ICS.

ROM
    Kang/CM10

It really just boils down to what you really want.

Galaxy Nexus is a pure vanilla form of Google Android 4.0. It is very well designed to be a Development phone. So there are options on the phone that you won't get with any other phone that gets updated to 4.0 ICS. I'm not sure if the Nexus S has the same Developer options. And what I mean is, things such as Show CPU usage, Show touches, show screen updates, pointer location, etc. I'm sure you can get those features with a rooted custom rom phone. But stock Galaxy Nexus already contains these options. So you don't have to fiddle around to enable it. On top of that, it has Super AMOLED HD (720p) display at a 720x1186 2.0 scalability. It has an HD front camera and full HD back camera. 5 MP back camera is pretty low quality, but zero shutter speed is amazing for those photos you need to get at the right moment.

Razr will probably not contain those exact features when it gets upgraded to 4.0. But for overall quality, the Razr Maxx is where it is at. If you're not looking to develop on android, then maybe the Razr is where you want to be at. The radio is amazing, and the call quality is quite nice. The Camera on the Razr Maxx can't be beat with 8 MP and the video recording is truly amazing. The battery life is going to be where the Maxx takes a clear victory over the Nexus. I've had almost 48 hours of no charge on the Maxx with normal usage. Albeit, Juice Defender helps out with that big time. I'm not a big fan of Motoblur, not going to lie, and there is a ton of bloatware to deal with on the Razr, but nothing that a simple root can take care of. I think ICS will work wonderful on it once released.

Between the two, I like the fact that the Nexus is pure vanilla, so I'll take that gladly over the Razr because I'm a developer and need some of those advanced features. Not only that, most applications will run more on the Nexus vs. the Razr because of the fact that it is a dev phone.

Hope this helps out with your decision making.

Thanks.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

I have 3 of them in my family. One of my daughters will be eligible for an upgrade in May. It will be a Nexus. Maybe white.
    Phones: Droid (2009 original stock) --> Incredible --> Thunderbolt (Rooted/ROMed) --> Galaxy Nexus (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 2 (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 3 (Stock) --> Note 4 (stock)
    Tablets: Tab 10.1 --> Note 10.1 (2014 edition)
    Watches: Pebble (original) --> Moto 360

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Regarding the sync delay, I've never experienced this. Do you mean when first syncing? I've literally watched conversations in Talk on my phone as I type on my computer. Kinda cool.

I was refering to the sync icon in gmail.... while i am out of the application and someone would send me an email via gmail... it wouldnt be pushed to my phone in real time.. maybe a 1 to 2 min delay... which is no big deal... coming from the blackberry world... email exchange is slower... which is to be expected.

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

I think I am in a good place to comment. I am currently switching from sprint to Verizon. I did extensive research on the androids currently available on Verizon. It came down to 3 phones for me.
    1. razr maxx
    2. Galaxy nexus
    3. HTC rezound

The razor maxx has one really awesome feature...the battery life. For me, I didn't like the design of it, and I really hated the pen tile screen (go read the verge.com review for more info). The pen tile screen is what really knocked this phone out of the running for me.

I was really considering sticking with the galaxy nexus as I currently have a nexus s. I have learned that just by being a nexus, it will not guarantee fast updates to new os software. My current nexus s still doesn't have ice cream sandwich and it was released I believe in November 2011 (4 months ago). Not only that, but multiple phones are releasing it soon so there was no benefit for me to have a nexus. The only way to ensure fast os updates is to get a nexus on a GSM network (att or T-Mobile). Also, regardless of what some owners claim, there are too many users that complain of poor reception. I'd you do your homework, you will see this is a common problem among all Samsung devices. My nexus isn't terrible, but there are many places where I will drop in and out of service where I never had any problems with other phones and other people with different phones still get good service. So in my opinion, Samsung is doing something in their radios that is causing problems.

So I'm sure you can tell I chose the HTC rezound. I have to say, I chose it purely because I could not find anything majorly wrong with it. It has a great screen, decent battery life, great reception, and its has a design that I like. Also, because it is a few months since it was released, I grabbed a like new but used one on eBay so I can save my upgrade for something else that comes a long that I can't resist. If you did use your contract this phone costs only 200 compared to 300 with the two above.

These are only my opinions of what is important to me. Good luck. I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you choose.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

You chose to ask this in the gn forum so here is my take:
    Nexus is the best hands down.
    Try posting in the maxx or rezound forum, you would get totally opposite answers. You're getting opinions from gn owners so take all this how you want.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, for now

Maybe I should chime in on the signal issues for a second because I have had and used 4 different Galaxy Nexus phones each 3 weeks+ of time used. Each phone had varying levels of signal strength and quality. Phone 1 was complete garbage... under battery use i was constantly at 20% of total uptime with no signal. Phone 2 was better, averaging 10%. Phone 3 Was even better, with about 7% average. Now I am on phone number 4 and currently rooted on AOKP Build 27 with the 4.0.4 radios. 3% average downtime.

I've formed my own opinion: Samsung quality control is garbage, early batches of this phone were very prone to hardware defects. Thats not to say people who bought the phone early on all had crappy phones, but it seemed much more likely to get a defective phone in the early batches. My current phone was manufactured in February, and it (so far) seems perfect, with zero issues.

Take my experiences and opinion for whatever you want, I just figured I would share this.. don't be afraid to exchange the Nexus in your 14 day window if you feel like something is wrong with it.

Oh and, as for the battery.... you arent going to get much more than 5 hours out of it if you have the screen on all the time... its a huge high resolution display... you should have known what you were getting yourself into. Root it and get a good stable rom on it if youre having battery issues and you arent keeping the screen on all the time. Also make sure you dont have any apps not optimized for ICS keeping the phone awake or draining your battery.

Remember, you arent using a phone, you're using a computer that can make phone calls. Treat it like this, and you're going to have a better experience.
    bone_scar#WN and jroc like this.

ROM
    AXI0M CMPLX / Fraco

I must say "ditto" to the last 2Defmouse post.
    My first 4G phone was a Bionic (Excellent Voice) and I swapped to a GN (still loving it).

Here is my take on your question... If you want to run a custom ROM the GN is your perfect partner. It is easy to root, unlock the bootloader and flash a ROM. I cannot fathom keeping a GN stock...why would anyone do this?
    If you have no interest in the above you may want to consider the Razr Maxx.
    Good luck with whatever you choose - Android Rocks!
    Thanked by:
    jroc and 2defmouze like this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    boe

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

Hello,

I ended up getting the GN - I'll pay the $35 restocking fee in 2 weeks if I don't like it.

Is the signal issue data or voice? So far no lost calls but I just picked it up last night.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast