1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Wallet and Battery Swapping

I remember reading a while ago that switching batteries may be problematic for Google Wallet users because the NFC antenna is on the battery.

Are there any Google Wallet users here that also swap batteries frequently? What is your experience?

Default Re: Google Wallet and Battery Swapping

I have the regular battery and the Samsung extended 2100 battery. they both work fine for me. Have used both to buy stuff
    Thanked by:

The act of switching batteries does absolutely nothing to effect Google Wallet, no matter how often you switch batteries. The only way it could is if you buy one without an NFC antenna in it. In that case the only side effect would be that NFC wouldn't work. It doesn't interface with and change Google Wallet in any way.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks forth info. I could have sworn I read something when the phone was first released. Glad to hear it is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelGator View Post
    Thanks forth info. I could have sworn I read something when the phone was first released. Glad to hear it is not a problem.
    Don't see how it could ever be a problem... changing the battery doesn't touch the software at all.

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

I feel like switching batteries does affect wallet. I've switched between the regular and extended and now wallet doesn't work for me. And my battery hasn't been lasting as long as it used to before I swapped the batteries. I've done battery wipes. Used a battery calibration app. Nothing works. And I downloaded the new wallet .apk and still nothing. Running AOKP 24.

Quote Originally Posted by ki11ak3nn View Post
    I feel like switching batteries does affect wallet. I've switched between the regular and extended and now wallet doesn't work for me. And my battery hasn't been lasting as long as it used to before I swapped the batteries. I've done battery wipes. Used a battery calibration app. Nothing works. And I downloaded the new wallet .apk and still nothing. Running AOKP 24.
    I'd really venture to guess it has nothing to do with swapping your battery but rather switching ROMs. Also, the money network for Google Wallet has been down for quiet a while, and has just come back online recently.

Also, battery calibration apps don't do anything to improve battery performance. Wiping battery stats does nothing to help battery life.

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

Quote Originally Posted by martonikaj View Post
    I'd really venture to guess it has nothing to do with swapping your battery but rather switching ROMs. Also, the money network for Google Wallet has been down for quiet a while, and has just come back online recently.

Also, battery calibration apps don't do anything to improve battery performance. Wiping battery stats does nothing to help battery life.
    I knew about the money network being down. The last working version of wallet I had was on stock 4.0.2. Then I flashed AOKP and wallet hasn't worked since then. Maybe that's why. As for my battery, when I swapped out the extended battery for the stock battery that's when things started to go down hill. Might have to go to Big Red and get a new extended battery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Swype Beta on Tapatalk!

Quote Originally Posted by ki11ak3nn View Post
    I knew about the money network being down. The last working version of wallet I had was on stock 4.0.2. Then I flashed AOKP and wallet hasn't worked since then. Maybe that's why. As for my battery, when I swapped out the extended battery for the stock battery that's when things started to go down hill. Might have to go to Big Red and get a new extended battery.

Did you disable wallet before you did a wipe?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

Quote Originally Posted by lakedubvt View Post
    Did you disable wallet before you did a wipe?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    No I don't think I did. It's cool. I guess I'm just one of the guys that's going to have to wait until it's official. Hopefully Verizon gives people the choice to use Google Wallet or ISIS. If they're smart they would.

Quote Originally Posted by martonikaj View Post
    The act of switching batteries does absolutely nothing to effect Google Wallet, no matter how often you switch batteries. The only way it could is if you buy one without an NFC antenna in it. In that case the only side effect would be that NFC wouldn't work. It doesn't interface with and change Google Wallet in any way.
    But if NFC isn't working, how can you make a payment with Google Wallet?

Quote Originally Posted by beerhound View Post
    But if NFC isn't working, how can you make a payment with Google Wallet?
    I did a little reading this morning and answered my question. Your Google Wallet account can still be used to make online purchases from your PC, but if you want to make in-store purchases, then NFC has to be working on your phone. If you buy a battery for your GN that doesn't have the NFC antenna, then you won't be able to use it to buy stuff.