Making a call to Verizon tomorrow about this data garbage

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been willng to tolerate the generally crappy data coverage so far, but tonight was absurd.Out in Manhattan, in one of the busiest metro areas in the world, and I cant get data virtually the entire evening. Situations in which my D Inc would have had a solid data signal, I couldnt do anything on this phone, and that's unacceptable. Meanwhile, I was borrowing my wife's Thunderbolt, which got excellent 3g where my phone got zilch. Ridiculous.And today was the end of my 14 day return. Sweet.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
This is a well documented issue so kind of surprised you were caught off guard by it. I bought mine on release day so I was caught off guard and the promises by Verizon to have an update out "very soon" have went unfulfilled. My GN sits in my desk drawer because the data connection is so bad and I even had my device replaced under warranty to see if that would fix it and the new phone performs exactly the same.

Good luck with yours.

Last edited:

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
This is a well documented issue so kind of surprised you were caught off guard by it. I bought mine on release day so I was caught off guard and the promises by Verizon to have an update out "very soon" have not went unfulfilled. My GN sits in my desk drawer because the data connection is so bad and I even had my device replaced under warranty to see if that would fix it and the new phone performs exactly the same.

Good luck with yours.

I got mine on release day and got an update before I left the store.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Data dropped for me yesterday too. Not happy with network coverage. My charge had awesome coverage. The best I've ever experienced

Dropped from LiquidNexus via Tapatalk

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I got my Nexus on release day. Like others, I had data dropping which turned out to be a Verizon problem and not specifically a Nexus problem. It happed two times in the span of three days. I have had zero problems since then.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been willng to tolerate the generally crappy data coverage so far, but tonight was absurd.Out in Manhattan, in one of the busiest metro areas in the world, and I cant get data virtually the entire evening. Situations in which my D Inc would have had a solid data signal, I couldnt do anything on this phone, and that's unacceptable. Meanwhile, I was borrowing my wife's Thunderbolt, which got excellent 3g where my phone got zilch. Ridiculous.And today was the end of my 14 day return. Sweet.

Sorry to hear that .I will be interested to hear what they tell you.I assume your going to vzw store and show them what you found out.
Theres nothing like showing them the results you mentioned in your post.Please report back what they say to you.Thanks

sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

That sucks. I was also in a saturated LTE area. I too had nothing but problems. Lucky for me I had my device during the holiday return period. I waited until the very last day, hoping that a custom rom, or an update from Verizon would fix my device. With custom roms not working, & no help from Verizon in sight, I bailed.

I got an iPhone 4s (I know, El Diablo) & so far I am really enjoying this device. The screen is smaller & no LTE, but it's so smooth & fast. Call quality is also better.

If they refresh the hardware, I may give it another try.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I got mine on release day and got an update before I left the store.

A pre release update doesn't count as that was just a way for Verizon to save money by having us do their work for them. There were ton of software updates and tweaks to ICS prior to releasing the phone that we don't count as updates to solve post release problems so why would you count that pre release update?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk!

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Called tech support, who had me pull the battery and SIM card while they did some sort of refresh on their end. Booted the phone back up, and lo and behold, no data. Nice to see that the problem was actually reproducible.

The tech said I should pick up a new SIM card at the store, and see if that works, and if not the next step is a hard reset of the phone (works for me as I was planning on rooting anyway). So I'm going to do that and see how it works or doesn't work.

It really just seems to be a timing issue. I think the phone takes a very long time to switch between 3g/4g/1x, so that essentially I have no data for long periods of time in between switches. 3G just came back on, but it took several minutes, which doesn't make much sense.

Sploinkin

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If you want to root, just do it and flash a 4.0.3 rom like AOKP or Codename. I haven't had any troubles with data since I did that (nothing scientific though)

99problemz

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to sound like an ass but I just don't see how ppl can compare iPhones to the Nexii. Until the iPhone runs on 4g and has ICS there's no comparison IMO. Plus the iPhone has been out for years so all the bugs should be fixed and should run smoother than the Nexii that's only been out 90 days. Other than the data connection issue (which is frustrating as hell) this phone has been pretty solid for me.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to sound like an ass but I just don't see how ppl can compare iPhones to the Nexii. Until the iPhone runs on 4g and has ICS there's no comparison IMO. Plus the iPhone has been out for years so all the bugs should be fixed and should run smoother than the Nexii that's only been out 90 days. Other than the data connection issue (which is frustrating as hell) this phone has been pretty solid for me.

Yeah. Isn't it great that Google will work on an o/s for a solid 8-10 months, then ditch everyone for another version.

There are several other issues with the Nexus besides data, look around.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

99problemz

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Granted there are issues with the Nexii being 3 months old I'm not knocking that. I've experienced a few my self. I was only trying to make a point that comparison is ridiculous.

defdc

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I unlocked and flashed the 4.0.4 update and data switching is much better. The signal is a bit better too, but not by leaps and bounds. I'm at least getting a trickle of 3g where I had none with 4.0.2, and had a good signal with my OG Droid. That's definitely something to try if you haven't already.

I can understand there's going to need to be a tweaking time for new phones, and radio strengths may vary a bit, but how can this still be an issue with modern phones? On a CELL PHONE, radio strength should be the TOP priority!

Verizon payola to make people use more wifi? :)

Reactions: jroc

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah. Isn't it great that Google will work on an o/s for a solid 8-10 months, then ditch everyone for another version.

There are several other issues with the Nexus besides data, look around.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

My phone has been rock solid for the most part... I cant complain... Only thing I have noticed as being true is the signal is not as strong in fringe areas... My ex girls razor can get 4g in a fringe area while mine drops to 3g.. Its a little annoying but nothing that bothers me that much where id return it.. Other then that its perfect for me...

willlayb

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
just saying, other than the android os taking battery life away from me which has gotten better recently, im on 4.0.4 radios with the latest aokp and latest franco kernal and i am not running into any issues signal or otherwise.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I love this phone, for a mobile device, but not for a phone.

This thing is a great web browser, movie viewer, game station and just about anything OTHER than being a phone. This phone has the worst radio I've ever seen in any phone I've owned on Verizon in the past 7 years. I've done side-by-side comparisons to my old Thunderbolt using my girlfriends TB and my god the difference in signal is astounding.

Galaxy Nexus - 0 - 1 bars, almost always 0
Thunderbolt - 1-3 bars, almost always 2, and is 3 more often than 1

Galaxy Nexus - -120dbm 99asu at 0 bars, -110dbm 2asu at 1 bar
Thunderbolt - -94dbm 4asu at 1 bar, -85dbm -2asu at 2 bars, -80dbm 3asu at 3 bars

Galaxy Nexus - 0.87mbps down 0.51mbps up
Thunderbolt - 2.97mbps down 0.58mbps up

Both phones were connected to 3G CDMA EVDO Only and were held the same way in the same place at the exact same time. For my bandwidth tests I used Speakeasy Speed Test connecting to a NY server, I live in NJ.

Basically this phone (the GN) is a major disappointment in regards to signal and for being a Google phone, it sure doesn't feel like it from the updates point of view.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Called tech support, who had me pull the battery and SIM card while they did some sort of refresh on their end. Booted the phone back up, and lo and behold, no data. Nice to see that the problem was actually reproducible.

The tech said I should pick up a new SIM card at the store, and see if that works, and if not the next step is a hard reset of the phone (works for me as I was planning on rooting anyway). So I'm going to do that and see how it works or doesn't work.

It really just seems to be a timing issue. I think the phone takes a very long time to switch between 3g/4g/1x, so that essentially I have no data for long periods of time in between switches. 3G just came back on, but it took several minutes, which doesn't make much sense.

I had issues, ended up getting a new sim card and things have been much better for me. I still have outages every once in a while, but its pretty fast to correct itself.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Somehow I have to thing that a lot of this is Verizon's network and not the phone itself. I realize that people have compared signal strenth numbers with other phones in the same locale, but not getting any data in Manhattan for a whole night, then getting it, reeks of a network problem. This has gotten to be similar to ATTs debacle when the iPhone dropped.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hows the Razr Maxx with the data. I ordered a new one last week to replace my Samsung Charge and eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463