Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Making a call to Verizon tomorrow about this data garbage

I've been willng to tolerate the generally crappy data coverage so far, but tonight was absurd.Out in Manhattan, in one of the busiest metro areas in the world, and I cant get data virtually the entire evening. Situations in which my D Inc would have had a solid data signal, I couldnt do anything on this phone, and that's unacceptable. Meanwhile, I was borrowing my wife's Thunderbolt, which got excellent 3g where my phone got zilch. Ridiculous.And today was the end of my 14 day return. Sweet.

Default Re: Making a call to Verizon tomorrow about this data garbage

This is a well documented issue so kind of surprised you were caught off guard by it. I bought mine on release day so I was caught off guard and the promises by Verizon to have an update out "very soon" have went unfulfilled. My GN sits in my desk drawer because the data connection is so bad and I even had my device replaced under warranty to see if that would fix it and the new phone performs exactly the same.

Good luck with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
    This is a well documented issue so kind of surprised you were caught off guard by it. I bought mine on release day so I was caught off guard and the promises by Verizon to have an update out "very soon" have not went unfulfilled. My GN sits in my desk drawer because the data connection is so bad and I even had my device replaced under warranty to see if that would fix it and the new phone performs exactly the same.

Good luck with yours.
    I got mine on release day and got an update before I left the store.
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

Data dropped for me yesterday too. Not happy with network coverage. My charge had awesome coverage. The best I've ever experienced

Dropped from LiquidNexus via Tapatalk
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

I got my Nexus on release day. Like others, I had data dropping which turned out to be a Verizon problem and not specifically a Nexus problem. It happed two times in the span of three days. I have had zero problems since then.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    7,720 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Quote Originally Posted by mobilemedic20 View Post
    I've been willng to tolerate the generally crappy data coverage so far, but tonight was absurd.Out in Manhattan, in one of the busiest metro areas in the world, and I cant get data virtually the entire evening. Situations in which my D Inc would have had a solid data signal, I couldnt do anything on this phone, and that's unacceptable. Meanwhile, I was borrowing my wife's Thunderbolt, which got excellent 3g where my phone got zilch. Ridiculous.And today was the end of my 14 day return. Sweet.
    Sorry to hear that .I will be interested to hear what they tell you.I assume your going to vzw store and show them what you found out.
    Theres nothing like showing them the results you mentioned in your post.Please report back what they say to you.Thanks

sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts

That sucks. I was also in a saturated LTE area. I too had nothing but problems. Lucky for me I had my device during the holiday return period. I waited until the very last day, hoping that a custom rom, or an update from Verizon would fix my device. With custom roms not working, & no help from Verizon in sight, I bailed.

I got an iPhone 4s (I know, El Diablo) & so far I am really enjoying this device. The screen is smaller & no LTE, but it's so smooth & fast. Call quality is also better.

If they refresh the hardware, I may give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    I got mine on release day and got an update before I left the store.
    A pre release update doesn't count as that was just a way for Verizon to save money by having us do their work for them. There were ton of software updates and tweaks to ICS prior to releasing the phone that we don't count as updates to solve post release problems so why would you count that pre release update?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Called tech support, who had me pull the battery and SIM card while they did some sort of refresh on their end. Booted the phone back up, and lo and behold, no data. Nice to see that the problem was actually reproducible.

The tech said I should pick up a new SIM card at the store, and see if that works, and if not the next step is a hard reset of the phone (works for me as I was planning on rooting anyway). So I'm going to do that and see how it works or doesn't work.

It really just seems to be a timing issue. I think the phone takes a very long time to switch between 3g/4g/1x, so that essentially I have no data for long periods of time in between switches. 3G just came back on, but it took several minutes, which doesn't make much sense.

ROM
    AOKP + Franco's

If you want to root, just do it and flash a 4.0.3 rom like AOKP or Codename. I haven't had any troubles with data since I did that (nothing scientific though)

I don't want to sound like an *** but I just don't see how ppl can compare iPhones to the Nexii. Until the iPhone runs on 4g and has ICS there's no comparison IMO. Plus the iPhone has been out for years so all the bugs should be fixed and should run smoother than the Nexii that's only been out 90 days. Other than the data connection issue (which is frustrating as hell) this phone has been pretty solid for me.

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 99problemz View Post
    I don't want to sound like an *** but I just don't see how ppl can compare iPhones to the Nexii. Until the iPhone runs on 4g and has ICS there's no comparison IMO. Plus the iPhone has been out for years so all the bugs should be fixed and should run smoother than the Nexii that's only been out 90 days. Other than the data connection issue (which is frustrating as hell) this phone has been pretty solid for me.
    Yeah. Isn't it great that Google will work on an o/s for a solid 8-10 months, then ditch everyone for another version.

There are several other issues with the Nexus besides data, look around.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Granted there are issues with the Nexii being 3 months old I'm not knocking that. I've experienced a few my self. I was only trying to make a point that comparison is ridiculous.

I unlocked and flashed the 4.0.4 update and data switching is much better. The signal is a bit better too, but not by leaps and bounds. I'm at least getting a trickle of 3g where I had none with 4.0.2, and had a good signal with my OG Droid. That's definitely something to try if you haven't already.

I can understand there's going to need to be a tweaking time for new phones, and radio strengths may vary a bit, but how can this still be an issue with modern phones? On a CELL PHONE, radio strength should be the TOP priority!

Verizon payola to make people use more wifi?
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

Quote Originally Posted by Lodingi View Post
    Yeah. Isn't it great that Google will work on an o/s for a solid 8-10 months, then ditch everyone for another version.

There are several other issues with the Nexus besides data, look around.

My phone has been rock solid for the most part... I cant complain... Only thing I have noticed as being true is the signal is not as strong in fringe areas... My ex girls razor can get 4g in a fringe area while mine drops to 3g.. Its a little annoying but nothing that bothers me that much where id return it.. Other then that its perfect for me...

ROM
    stock for now

just saying, other than the android os taking battery life away from me which has gotten better recently, im on 4.0.4 radios with the latest aokp and latest franco kernal and i am not running into any issues signal or otherwise.

I love this phone, for a mobile device, but not for a phone.

This thing is a great web browser, movie viewer, game station and just about anything OTHER than being a phone. This phone has the worst radio I've ever seen in any phone I've owned on Verizon in the past 7 years. I've done side-by-side comparisons to my old Thunderbolt using my girlfriends TB and my god the difference in signal is astounding.

Galaxy Nexus - 0 - 1 bars, almost always 0
    Thunderbolt - 1-3 bars, almost always 2, and is 3 more often than 1

Galaxy Nexus - -120dbm 99asu at 0 bars, -110dbm 2asu at 1 bar
    Thunderbolt - -94dbm 4asu at 1 bar, -85dbm -2asu at 2 bars, -80dbm 3asu at 3 bars

Galaxy Nexus - 0.87mbps down 0.51mbps up
    Thunderbolt - 2.97mbps down 0.58mbps up

Both phones were connected to 3G CDMA EVDO Only and were held the same way in the same place at the exact same time. For my bandwidth tests I used Speakeasy Speed Test connecting to a NY server, I live in NJ.

Basically this phone (the GN) is a major disappointment in regards to signal and for being a Google phone, it sure doesn't feel like it from the updates point of view.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Called tech support, who had me pull the battery and SIM card while they did some sort of refresh on their end. Booted the phone back up, and lo and behold, no data. Nice to see that the problem was actually reproducible.

The tech said I should pick up a new SIM card at the store, and see if that works, and if not the next step is a hard reset of the phone (works for me as I was planning on rooting anyway). So I'm going to do that and see how it works or doesn't work.

It really just seems to be a timing issue. I think the phone takes a very long time to switch between 3g/4g/1x, so that essentially I have no data for long periods of time in between switches. 3G just came back on, but it took several minutes, which doesn't make much sense.
    I had issues, ended up getting a new sim card and things have been much better for me. I still have outages every once in a while, but its pretty fast to correct itself.

Somehow I have to thing that a lot of this is Verizon's network and not the phone itself. I realize that people have compared signal strenth numbers with other phones in the same locale, but not getting any data in Manhattan for a whole night, then getting it, reeks of a network problem. This has gotten to be similar to ATTs debacle when the iPhone dropped.

Hows the Razr Maxx with the data. I ordered a new one last week to replace my Samsung Charge and eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
    Somehow I have to thing that a lot of this is Verizon's network and not the phone itself. I realize that people have compared signal strenth numbers with other phones in the same locale, but not getting any data in Manhattan for a whole night, then getting it, reeks of a network problem. This has gotten to be similar to ATTs debacle when the iPhone dropped.
    Nah. I've been to countless Verizon stores in LTE markets. I've tested the signals and bandwidth speed of all the LTE phones. The Nexus always comes in dead last. Half the time the Nexus can't even pull in a 4G signal. I'm still a believer of it being a hardware issue.

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Well, I have a new sim card now but the issue seems to remain. Even when I have enough signal to text or make a phone call, I have zero data.

The guy in the Verizon store said he thinks it's a network issue, that his Razr Maxx has the same problem and he's heard others complain of the same.

I'm hoping that the software update addresses this at least to improvement, if not resolution. Otherwise, not much else I can do. The phone is great (especially rooted), the data dropping thing just sucks.

Oh and switching to CDMA mode doesn't seem to help either. I'm done messing around, I'm just going to sit tight until I can flash a 4.0.4 update.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

The first two Nexuses I tried out exhibited the same frustrating data dropping behavior as detailed in this thread. Finally gave up and went with a Rezound and just like that, signal strength was no longer a concern...at all and I mean whatsoever. The Rezound just did it's thing and I always had data. So I was definitely thinking that based on experience, it's a Nexus hardware issue.

Week ago, I get an itch to try out another Nexus, tired of waiting on an OTA to address known issues. Ordered it from Amazon Wireless this time, rather than go through Verizon again, I figure why not mix up the source a bit (plus the price was great). This one shows up with 4.0.2 already on board and lo and behold...no data issues at all. I mean none, as in rock solid as my Rezound. (I still have the Rezound to make direct comparisons with.) Week in and it's been great. I was even sitting in a movie theater the other night, checking to make sure the ringer was off and was pleasantly surprised to see three bars of 4G. The first two Nexuses I had would have all gray bars and saying the mobile network was disconnected any time I went into a building it seemed.

I don't think it should take multiple attempts to get a "good one" of course, and I hope an OTA is on the way to address the outstanding issues, but when it works, it works, and is absolutely capable of obtaining and holding a strong signal.

My unscientific opinion, based on nothing other than my own experience, is that the first batch(es) shipped suffered from some manufacturing/QC issues. Some of that stock is still floating around out there, most likely in Verizon's inventory.

Keep harping on Verizon until they get you one that works the way it should! I couldn't agree more, top priority should be signal.
    karn101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by defdc View Post
    I unlocked and flashed the 4.0.4 update and data switching is much better. The signal is a bit better too, but not by leaps and bounds. I'm at least getting a trickle of 3g where I had none with 4.0.2, and had a good signal with my OG Droid. That's definitely something to try if you haven't already.

I can understand there's going to need to be a tweaking time for new phones, and radio strengths may vary a bit, but how can this still be an issue with modern phones? On a CELL PHONE, radio strength should be the TOP priority!

Verizon payola to make people use more wifi?
    +1 4 this post just root it's too easy not too. Wugs root tool kit and others make is seamless!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottymac5213 View Post
    The first two Nexuses I tried out exhibited the same frustrating data dropping behavior as detailed in this thread. Finally gave up and went with a Rezound and just like that, signal strength was no longer a concern...at all and I mean whatsoever. The Rezound just did it's thing and I always had data. So I was definitely thinking that based on experience, it's a Nexus hardware issue.

Week ago, I get an itch to try out another Nexus, tired of waiting on an OTA to address known issues. Ordered it from Amazon Wireless this time, rather than go through Verizon again, I figure why not mix up the source a bit (plus the price was great). This one shows up with 4.0.2 already on board and lo and behold...no data issues at all. I mean none, as in rock solid as my Rezound. (I still have the Rezound to make direct comparisons with.) Week in and it's been great. I was even sitting in a movie theater the other night, checking to make sure the ringer was off and was pleasantly surprised to see three bars of 4G. The first two Nexuses I had would have all gray bars and saying the mobile network was disconnected any time I went into a building it seemed.

I don't think it should take multiple attempts to get a "good one" of course, and I hope an OTA is on the way to address the outstanding issues, but when it works, it works, and is absolutely capable of obtaining and holding a strong signal.

My unscientific opinion, based on nothing other than my own experience, is that the first batch(es) shipped suffered from some manufacturing/QC issues. Some of that stock is still floating around out there, most likely in Verizon's inventory.

Keep harping on Verizon until they get you one that works the way it should! I couldn't agree more, top priority should be signal.
    I've been saying this forever! There are bad batches of this phone! Mine exhibited no problems whatsoever.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast