1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Lightbulb Offer to switch hardware to fix mic from V

The issue with my mic cutting out during calls seemed to become more prevalent. I once again called Verizon and got to another CS tech. (I have gone this route before as well as the store and always been told to wait for the all illusive software update which will "come soon" since December).

Anyway I asked if the known mic cut out issue has been traced to software or hardware. The tech said she did not know about the problem but would call a Samsung tech to find out and call me back. Fifteen minutes later she calls back and said that it was in fact a hardware issue which affected phones that were of a limited manufacture build. She immediately offered to send me a new one.

Now I know some in this forum have had the issue and have gotten new hardware and continued to have the same problem. I also have seen a thread that tracks the problem to phones that are in some large metropolitan areas only.

I will be getting the new phone today and will update this thread from time to time with my observations.

I have back up assistant, and plan to re-populate my apps by using the google Play "my apps" menu. Any suggestions on other things to do besides wiping my phone to factory settings before sending it back?

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    ROM
    There will be many...

Default Re: Offer to switch hardware to fix mic from V

Made the same call this morning. I was offered a certified like used device, or something different. I told her I wasn't interested in either, as I had paid for a new device and wasn't going to accept a refurb. I wish you luck with yours!

Getting mine on Thursday it better fix this problem. I paid for a phone and if it takes for a refurb to get one that works as a phone that is OK with me. My refurb Xoom is flawless.
    HTC touch-BB pearl flip-BB tour-OG-DX-Fascinate-D2-Thunderbolt-Bionic-Rezound-Galaxy Nexus-Razr-Razr M-DNA-GS4- Note 3-?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Interesting... I set up the new phone with no problem and checked the status log to do so dial: *#*#786#*#*
    The phone seems to be new (see attached screenshot)
    Also the sticker under the battery had a field that read "STA 2-29-12" my first phone bought 12-15-11 did not.

This is also different.
    1. I could not do screen shots with my first phone
    2. Combined mode for two popmail email accounts would error on the first phone and this one does not
    3. I now get a message to connect my phone to a charger in the locked screen when the battery is at about 1/4, first phone did not.

I would think all of the above would be software issues, but perhaps it is firmware? The phone was loaded with 4.0.2

I will see how the phone calling goes and report to this post.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

for some reason the screen shot did not upload to my previous post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Offer to switch hardware to fix mic from V-screenshot_2012-03-13-19-40-46-1-.jpg  

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.04 IMM76K

Quote Originally Posted by menelfloss View Post
    The issue with my mic cutting out during calls seemed to become more prevalent. I once again called Verizon and got to another CS tech. (I have gone this route before as well as the store and always been told to wait for the all illusive software update which will "come soon" since December).

Anyway I asked if the known mic cut out issue has been traced to software or hardware. The tech said she did not know about the problem but would call a Samsung tech to find out and call me back. Fifteen minutes later she calls back and said that it was in fact a hardware issue which affected phones that were of a limited manufacture build. She immediately offered to send me a new one.

Now I know some in this forum have had the issue and have gotten new hardware and continued to have the same problem. I also have seen a thread that tracks the problem to phones that are in some large metropolitan areas only.

I will be getting the new phone today and will update this thread from time to time with my observations.

I have back up assistant, and plan to re-populate my apps by using the google Play "my apps" menu. Any suggestions on other things to do besides wiping my phone to factory settings before sending it back?
    I've had 3 different galaxy nexus's and they all do it. If it's hardware they need to do a recall.

Quote Originally Posted by trigun123478 View Post
    I've had 3 different galaxy nexus's and they all do it. If it's hardware they need to do a recall.
    That's hilarious! No manufacturer is going to recall a phone when they put new models out every month.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Day 1 total call time 1Hour 41 minutes and no problems yet. I have gone that long before without problems on the first phone. Will update again in a couple of days.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes way too often...

Thanks for the update, been thinking about calling them also
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Total call time on new phone 2 hours 41 minutes out

Call count 50

No microphone or call drops yet, and no squelching sounds either.

Fingers crossed.

dial: *#*#786#*#*
    I never knew that, thanks!

My Nexus shows 2024 hours of total call time.

That means I've been talking on the phone longer (84 days) than I've had it (~70 days), but it was brand new in a sealed box.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Sad to report that today I did have the microphone cut out during a call
    Crap!

Anyone with the issue try out a leaked 4.04 rom yet?

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    ROM
    There will be many...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottiePP7 View Post
    Anyone with the issue try out a leaked 4.04 rom yet?
    Yes, and the issue still runs rampant with my handset. I am running Th3ory's Axiom Crossbreed which is based on the 4.04 leak. I am ready to swap it out for a Rezound or Maxx. I know it's blasphemy. I love my Nexus and Vanilla Android, but enough is enough. I want decent signal strength and a PHONE that I can talk on reliably.

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.04 IMM76K

Sad to report that today I did have the microphone cut out during a call
    Crap!
    Hate to say it but I told you so. Had three replaced, they all had this issue.

Doesn't look like 4.05 addresses this either. (at least not from the leaked rumors)

Any tips on how to get a Razr Maxx out of support?

Doesn't look like 4.05 addresses this either. (at least not from the leaked rumors)

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    ROM
    There will be many...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottiePP7 View Post

I'm headed the same way unfortunately. Backing up my photos and the like as we speak before I unroot and re-lock.

My only tips are to call a few times stating issues. Eventually they will offer up something different. Balk at it a bit and say that no current offerings really match what the Nexus has to offer. Then hint at the Maxx.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Still only one call with mic out problem. Seems to be happening less with this newer phone. I think it may be related to the phone swithching from 4g to 3g and not doing it with a smooth hand off.
    Just a theory. Dang... love the phone hate the mic drop out issue.

I don't get the mic issue very often but it does occur and I have a small hairline crack on my screen (only noticeable at certain angles) and verizon offered to send me out a refurb. How is the quality on Verizon refurb's is it worth switching them out? I got my nexus on launch day so it is one of the first built so I'm hoping to receive a phone that is at least a little improved in the 4 months they have had.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by daygo619 View Post
    I don't get the mic issue very often but it does occur and I have a small hairline crack on my screen (only noticeable at certain angles) and verizon offered to send me out a refurb. How is the quality on Verizon refurb's is it worth switching them out? I got my nexus on launch day so it is one of the first built so I'm hoping to receive a phone that is at least a little improved in the 4 months they have had.
    The one sent out to me was virtually new. Looked great, if you look at my first post in this thread it shows the camera log which states it is not a referb with 0 minutes call time. The screen came flawless.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,519 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Haven't had any issues with my nexus. Haven't had that long.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

It's odd that Verizon gives so many different answers. My mic has increasingly been cutting out so I finally called support. They "never heard of this problem" but are taking an angle of investigating with local network engineers first. They had me "mark" a call when the mic cut out with a special keypad entry. I'm told they'll swap my phone if the network engineers report that there is no trouble, which is what I'm expecting to hear. Unfortunately, they said that it can take up to four days for their network team to investigate cases, so in the meantime, I'm stuck with a phone where others can't hear me on more than half of my calls lately. I hope I don't need it for an emergency...

Anyone else have this issue? Try an app named SoundAbout.