Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By imnotajedi
  • 1 Post By dubge
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ICS Data Usage Discrepancy from Verizon

Under Settings>Data Usage.. under Mobile it is saying I used about 3.70 GB for my current cycle Feb 16- Mar 15. However, the MyVerizon app is indicating 2.42 GB used for my current cycle.

I'm inclined to believe the MyVerizon app, since it's direct from the carrier. But why would the discrepancy be so large? I understand the disclaimer below the data says "As measured by your phone...".

Anyone else seeing a discrepancy or is your data tracking spot on?

Default Re: ICS Data Usage Discrepancy from Verizon

Unlimited here. Never look at the numbers.
    Phones: Droid (2009 original stock) --> Incredible --> Thunderbolt (Rooted/ROMed) --> Galaxy Nexus (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 2 (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 3 (Stock) --> Note 4 (stock)
    Tablets: Tab 10.1 --> Note 10.1 (2014 edition)
    Watches: Pebble (original) --> Moto 360
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Not unlimited LTE data speeds. You will get throttled after a certain point, so the numbers are still relevant to "unlimited" accounts.

I'm unlimited as well but I find this to be a great little tool.

As far as there being any discrepancies, well I really don't see how or why there would be. I have no clue on this one lol

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel611 View Post
    Not unlimited LTE data speeds. You will get throttled after a certain point, so the numbers are still relevant to "unlimited" accounts.
    From an unlimited standpoint we're speaking on behalf of people not caring about going over any supposed thresholds from a billing standpoint. If we get throttled its whatever. If we go over a set tier limit and have to pay extra, then it matters.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

Are you looking at just your 3g/4g data or are you looking at 3/4g and wifi combined? over a gig of difference I am inclined to say that you are looking at your TOTAL data usage number and not just 3g/4g, or maybe your data usage thresholds you have set on oyur phone differs from your billing cycle dates, that could be a factor as well.

I did not realized you can check WiFi usage. Damn I am just over 5GBs on WiFi and just under 1.5GBs on data based on my phone's info. Good thing for WiFi.
    Poseign likes this.

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

Quote Originally Posted by imnotajedi View Post
    I did not realized you can check WiFi usage. Damn I am just over 5GBs on WiFi and just under 1.5GBs on data based on my phone's info. Good thing for WiFi.
    Seriously. I didn't realize you could check WiFi either. In a month I used only 316MBs data and a bit over 5GBs WiFi. 99% streaming Pandora at work for 10+ hrs a day haha. Also, Verizon throttles us Unlimited users? Not that I'd notice...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Poseign View Post
    Are you looking at just your 3g/4g data or are you looking at 3/4g and wifi combined? over a gig of difference I am inclined to say that you are looking at your TOTAL data usage number and not just 3g/4g, or maybe your data usage thresholds you have set on oyur phone differs from your billing cycle dates, that could be a factor as well.
    I set the cycle in ICS to the exact dates in MyVerizon app - 2/14-3/15, and I don't believe there is a combined data usage amount. It's either Mobile or WiFi.

What's odd is that in the list of apps usage, Netflix is not listed. I know Netflix must be one of my biggest data hogs. In fact, I went to the gym today and streamed a show and ICS says my usage for today so far was 114MB, yet Netflix is not even on the list.

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

when did verizon start to throttle?
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    willlayb likes this.

I had the same issue here as well. I set the dates to match the my Verizon app and I had over a GB difference with less showing on the Verizon app. I didn't have internet for a month so I know wifi didn't play a role.......

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

I noticed awhile back that Netflix doesn't get added into the data usage on the phone. Kind of makes it useless for anyone that uses Netflix regularly.
    And has anyone ever heard of people getting throttled on their unlimited plans with Verizon? I only ever see AT&T and T-Mobile users complaining about that. And I thought Verizon actually specifically said that they won't throttle people on LTE, which makes sense since there really aren't that many people on it yet(5%ish).
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

haha that's why Im glad I'm with sprint TRUE UNLIMITED

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Guess u haven't seen the tos stating high use devices can b throttled or even terminated on sprint have u. Of course this for folks that feel they need to connect every device at home and do 100gb of data. No carrier is good sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    haha that's why Im glad I'm with sprint TRUE UNLIMITED

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

big red does not do throttleing as in traditional throttling after a amount. what it does is if you are in teh top 5% and the network is being taxed it will slow you down so the user with less usage is not being slowed down and once you are in a rea that is not being overlaoded you are back to full speed it is optimiisation not thottleing.

And I don't believe 4G devices are even included for the optimization. I think it only includes 3g devices, but I'll need to look at the terms on vzw.com to be sure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Yup, if you have an unlimited plan, and, presumably, a Galaxy Nexus, you can forget about optimization for now anyway.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/i...isclosure.html

Will I be affected by Network Optimization?
    Only a small percent of customers will be affected. To be affected, you must be:

A data customer on an unlimited data plan;
    Have a 3G Verizon Wireless device (if you have a 4G LTE device you will not be impacted); and
    Among the top 5% of data users in a given month.

Then, you will only be affected:

When you are on the 3G network; and
    When you are connected to a congested cell site.

So, there isn't any reason to switch to Sprint just yet.....

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Bugless Beast

From what I read from Verizon's website, they don't throttle data speeds if you use a lot (for unlimited data users, say). The only time they throttle data usage is if a tower is congested with data, and it will only temporarily throttle the data until the congestion clears up or if the user moves to a location that's served by another tower.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Under Settings>Data Usage.. under Mobile it is saying I used about 3.70 GB for my current cycle Feb 16- Mar 15. However, the MyVerizon app is indicating 2.42 GB used for my current cycle.

I'm inclined to believe the MyVerizon app, since it's direct from the carrier. But why would the discrepancy be so large? I understand the disclaimer below the data says "As measured by your phone...".

Anyone else seeing a discrepancy or is your data tracking spot on?
    Is the 'month' on your phone set to the correct dates? The data usage app chooses its own dates, so it may not match up to your billing cycle.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Verizon doesn't throttle LTE.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    Verizon doesn't throttle LTE.
    This is what I remember reading.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

And I clearly read the tos of sprint and it said it will only slow u down if they feel u are using the tethering without getting the plan for the phone repeat I repeat they will NOT throttle u especially if u are using 4g wimax(which isn't all that bad for UNLIMITED) lol