Can't Connect to Gym WiFi

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I am a member at Gold's Gym. They've always had an open WiFi access point, with no password. It worked fine.

Recently, they notified the members of the new access point name, and a generic password for all members.

The problem is that my Galaxy Nexus won't connect to the new access point. It says "Obtaining IP" in the status bar, and then just times out after failing. I verified the password I entered is accurate.

I e-mailed the gym and the manager said she just connected to it with her cell phone, so it's up and running.

Is there a setting on my phone that needs to be adjusted?

I typically watch Netflix while on the elliptical machine to pass the time :), and Verizon only has 3G so the quality is downgraded. Not to mention the hit on my data plan. :mad:

Any suggestions?

nrweaver

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I kind of have this same problem with my gnex I can logon but it keeps me off all the time and I need to log back on. Any ideas how I can get it to stay connected?

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
OK. I finally went back to the gym (sad I know lol). I can verify that it's not prompting me to verify any "Terms of Service" in the browser.

My GNex sees the Access Point (AP) called "GoldsMembers". It says it is secured by"WPA/WPA2 PSK". I enter the passcode and it says "Authenticating", then it says "Obtaining IP Address".. and it simply hangs there until it times out. I have verified the passcode is the same one they have me.. besides it wouldn't authenticate then, correct?

I stood right under router too make certain I have the strongest signal possible. Funny thing is that when it says "Obtaining IP Address".. the signal meter is down to nothing. Once I forget the network, the AP shows a full signal.

I downloaded an app called "WiFi Analyzer" but it just gives me signal strength and quality etc. It doesn't help me trouble shoot anything. Know of any other app that could help?

I have no issues connecting to routers at my home, office, parent's house, brotther's house, friends house.. all of which also use "WPA/WPA2 PSK" also. I have also connected at various Starbucks, Macy's, etc with no issues. I looked at the manual settings for the gym AP.

Proxy settings = None
IP Settings = DHCP

I have never touched these settings for any router I have connected to in the past. Can anyone here with some network experience explain why this router is not giving my Gnex an IP address? I want to contact the gym manager with at least some suggestions because I'm pretty sure she is going to say "it's your device, my iPhone connects fine", etc etc..

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Since it is important for you to connect at the gym I would go there, turn wifi on, reboot your phone and see whether it connects after the reboot. I had this issue at work once and the reboot cleared it up.

pakl78

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with my wifi at home:
I used to connect without problem but in the last few weeks, I haven't been able to connect.
The symptoms are the same as for Miguel611:
I see my wifi at full strength but when my GNex tries to connect, it gets stuck "obtaining IP address"... Also, while it does that (trying to obtain an IP), the signal strength it sees drops to nothing.
I tried to disable the option of not connecting to weak wifi signal but that didn't help either.
I also tried rebooting the modem without much success.
Is there a way to fix this? I would appreciate any help on this. Don't get it.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Sorry I thought I had posted back abou this issue.

I went to the gym a few days after and it was mysteriously working. I guess they probably had reset the router.

It's worked fine over the last few months.

dahlheim

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
i wish i could post this in a way that others with similar problems could see my response, since i've typed it once before (twice? can't remember).

i have had this problem and can reproduce it and the solution, at least on my phone. when the router i am trying to connect to is using channel 13 or higher, it does what you describe. if i log into the router and change it's operating wifi channel, i can connect immediately.

perhaps you can beg to the gym on behalf of the 900,000+ android users activating daily to just try and set to a lower channel...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair