small tip that might help your battery life

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
something I stumbled upon while trying to troubleshoot my wifes Nexus which seemed to awake way to often...
she would lose almost 50% overnight which isnt right....

I found in google maps under location settings, the "automatic check in" box was checked, even though she had no clue what that even did...
Seemed like it was constantly waking her phone up....

Just an FYI
Danny

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
i have the latest maps version and i dont see those options anywhere....the settings only have cache settings and Labs, along with help,whats new, terms, feedback, and about. don't see that option anywhere.

Undertoad

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Ah, I've figured it out. Actually it's Google Latitude, not strictly Google Maps. Latitude adds the Location feature and settings to the Maps interface.

Latitude lets you automatically report your physical location to family and friends, if you like or need to share that level of information.

A good idea for parents to put on their kid's phone, although the "where's my droid" app might be a better choice if battery life is a concern.

Thanks for the tip d-cas.

beetlefreak

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Like Undertoad said above, the auto-check-in setting is related to Latitude. If you don't see the "Location Settings" under the general settings, you have to enable Latitude:

Click the "Layers" button
Select "Latitude" - It should sign you in to Latitude

Then go to Settings - Location Settings - Automatic check-ins (under Check-Ins)

If you're signed out of Latitude, you probably don't have to worry about auto check-in anyway.

Thanks for the tip dcastillo!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084