Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default small tip that might help your battery life

something I stumbled upon while trying to troubleshoot my wifes Nexus which seemed to awake way to often...
    she would lose almost 50% overnight which isnt right....

I found in google maps under location settings, the "automatic check in" box was checked, even though she had no clue what that even did...
    Seemed like it was constantly waking her phone up....

Just an FYI
    Danny
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

Default Re: small tip that might help your battery life

i have the latest maps version and i dont see those options anywhere....the settings only have cache settings and Labs, along with help,whats new, terms, feedback, and about. don't see that option anywhere.

trying to figure out what dude meant, I googled "automatic check in" "location settings"

and this thread was #1

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

i have it under

go into maps
    settings
    location settings
    scroll down and I see it

Ah, I've figured it out. Actually it's Google Latitude, not strictly Google Maps. Latitude adds the Location feature and settings to the Maps interface.

Latitude lets you automatically report your physical location to family and friends, if you like or need to share that level of information.

A good idea for parents to put on their kid's phone, although the "where's my droid" app might be a better choice if battery life is a concern.

Thanks for the tip d-cas.

ROM
    Gnex: Shiny, A500 TO Omni

Quote Originally Posted by dcastillo View Post
    i have it under

go into maps
    settings
    location settings
    scroll down and I see it
    I dont see Location Settings in the map settings. What version of Google Maps is she using?

Its only visable if you have google latitude enabled. If you dont then its not affecting your battery.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM 5.0

Like Undertoad said above, the auto-check-in setting is related to Latitude. If you don't see the "Location Settings" under the general settings, you have to enable Latitude:

Click the "Layers" button
    Select "Latitude" - It should sign you in to Latitude

Then go to Settings - Location Settings - Automatic check-ins (under Check-Ins)

If you're signed out of Latitude, you probably don't have to worry about auto check-in anyway.

Thanks for the tip dcastillo!