Use Verizon G-Nex overseas

gdubs2013

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I am going to Germany this summer for a Study Abroad program with my University and I have the G-Nex on Verizon, and was wondering if anyone knows a way to configure it to work with a Germany/European network by switching out the sim cards. I saw a video on Revision3 today allowing the new Verizon iPad to work on AT&T's network by switching sim cards and changing a few settings. Is their a similar thing for android phones out there? I really would like to keep my G-Nex with me over there and not have to buy another phone for the month I am in Germany.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, you've got a CDMA radio and it's not going to work in a GSM world (outside the US), regardless of what SIM you put in it.

gdubs2013

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes for the 3G radio, but Verizon's 4G LTE network uses a GSM/HSPA variation I believe. How would the new Verizon LTE iPad work on AT&T's network if it was only equipped with a CDMA radio?

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The ipad for verizon and the ipad for att are different. The ipad for verizon LTE won't work on ATT LTE... EVER. Not all LTE is created equally. They have different frequency radios. So even though the Gnex has an LTE radio and LTE is based off of GSM technology, it runs on a different frequency than other LTE and 3G bands. Buy a phone when you get there... or, if you really want an Android device with Verizon and global coverage... pick up:
1) HTC Incredible S/II
2) Motorola Droid Pro
There are also Blackberry's and the iphone 4s which are also global. You can pick up all of these phones used for a good price (except 4s... that carries a premium).

NDroid0303

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I went to china and used my vzw gnex on wifi only. Sure its not a complete solution but you can still use it. Google voice for texting, there are several apps for calling, but I used fring to call over wifi.
Airplane mode with wifi only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC