Screeching update

Strommer

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
My phones (2 of them) have both had the "screeching" issue. I like the device well enough (and don't make that many calls) that I lived with it. But at home, not only will the phone occasionally go into screeching mode, but most calls also sound "choppy" or clipped. Other phones work OK. I finally bought a network extender to see if it would help.
The good news is that extender gives me clear calls that don't have the clipped sound. The bad news is that when the VZW rep called me to check it, the phone went into a screeching from hell fit, she could even hear it back through the phone. The rep called back and the same thing happened. She called on my sons phone..loud and clear. I rebooted the phone, she called back, and the Gnex was loud and clear. I've made several short test calls, and the phone has never sounded better.
I was leaning to poor radios or antenna, but maybe not. When the extender first kicked in, I was immediately disconnected from the rep. I'm now thinking that it might be a software problem associated with the switching of towers. Not sure, but I had the rep make a note on my file, just in case I need to return it (again).

Edit: Running 4.04 rom & radios

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
My phones (2 of them) have both had the "screeching" issue. I like the device well enough (and don't make that many calls) that I lived with it. But at home, not only will the phone occasionally go into screeching mode, but most calls also sound "choppy" or clipped. Other phones work OK. I finally bought a network extender to see if it would help.
The good news is that extender gives me clear calls that don't have the clipped sound. The bad news is that when the VZW rep called me to check it, the phone went into a screeching from hell fit, she could even hear it back through the phone. The rep called back and the same thing happened. She called on my sons phone..loud and clear. I rebooted the phone, she called back, and the Gnex was loud and clear. I've made several short test calls, and the phone has never sounded better.
I was leaning to poor radios or antenna, but maybe not. When the extender first kicked in, I was immediately disconnected from the rep. I'm now thinking that it might be a software problem associated with the switching of towers. Not sure, but I had the rep make a note on my file, just in case I need to return it (again).

Edit: Running 4.04 rom & radios

Hm. Hope you can find a fix for that. Did they send you a network extender free?