If this is a Nexus, where is 4.0.4?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Actually I cracked a screen and bought a second Gnex. Then had the first one fixed. I have rooted one and kept one stock. Was not difficult to unlock and root.

THAT HAS NO BEARING ON FAULTS WITH THE PHONE.

Those faults should be fixed more timely than the 3 and one half months since I bought my first on release day. I still believe it is the best phone I have owned but any product I buy should be right or fixed promptly. As long as users accept faultly devices and allow Samsung/Google/Verizon to foist incomplete/faulty hardware/software it will continue. And, of course, they can point to their legions of fanboys telling all it is okay unless you can prove they say they would fix by such and such a date. Newsflash, the day the sold it they entered into a deal that implied it was good as delivered or would be fixed.

Its still faster than you'll get bug fixes from any manufacturer. It also had an update the day of release, so your point is moot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: ejaymd11

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
It HAS been quite a while to not have already fixed things like the slow screen rotation, poor radio package and all the random crashes of apps and reboots. I just really thought it would be much quicker when it came to fixing bugs (bugs that are understandable, as this is a whole new OS on a new device).

Depends on what's involved. Radio updates take quite a while because they're tricky and if they fix one thing they could break another.

The other bugs are just cleaning up and fixing code, which is made more difficult when there are four different nexus devices that all need slightly different versions of the software.

Reactions: blue duck butter

blue duck butter

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
More off topic, but has anyone overclocked their CPU? If so, how is heat and battery life and what clock speeds do you max out at? I know there are kernels with overclocking built in. What are they?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Its still faster than you'll get bug fixes from any manufacturer. It also had an update the day of release, so your point is moot.

The point isn't moot. It is a legitimate opinion and a very good question.

I think the real question is whether or not the update is ready for release and VZW is holding it up while it "reviews" it, or if Google is still actually working on the update.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The point isn't moot. It is a legitimate opinion and a very good question.

I think the real question is whether or not the update is ready for release and VZW is holding it up while it "reviews" it, or if Google is still actually working on the update.

Since 4.04 just got to GSM, its almost certain that Google has been working on it until now.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Everybody chill, OK? It's a legitimate question.

The short answer is the Verizon GNex is different than the GSM Gnex, and so it might (and in all likelihood will) end up with different version numbers.

Reactions: kca2000 and moosc

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Oh it fixed a bunch of issues in this thread. Install 4.0.1 and you can see for yourself. 4G on that release was completely unstable (as in, cycling every 30 seconds), general system speed was very slow and stuttery, and ALL of the other issues were worse. I installed it for kicks after I decided to unroot my Nexus, thinking that it might be better, but it most certainly wasn't.

4.0.2 was a fairly large update in terms of actually fixing things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
If that is accurate, than the LTE not receiving it yet, is being held up by VZW and their "review" process.

Uh, no. It means that it was being worked on at the same time as the GSM version's update, and isn't quite ready yet. There's nothing to 'hold up' if the update isn't done yet.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Uh, no. It means that it was being worked on at the same time as the GSM version's update, and isn't quite ready yet. There's nothing to 'hold up' if the update isn't done yet.

The GSM update was supposedly released a few days ago, no?

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Maybe Verizon is just so slow at their review process that before they finish reviewing 4.0.3 Google released 4.0.4 for them to review. Then while reviewing that Google puts out 4.0.5 for them to review. So they keep starting over and never finishing and releasing the updates. So maybe their issue is that it is being updated too fast for them to keep up and were never taught to finish what you started. Now I doubt this is 100% true, it was just a thought.

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the post Phil! Its exactly what Phil says...they are two different phones. If you are rooted and have the ability you could be on 4.0.4 already on the CDMA version. If you really wanted the fastest updates from google then you should have probably purchased the GSM Nexus. CDMA going through Verizon is going to be slower...and again the two different radios and who knows what else hardware-wise is different makes them two completely different phones.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Maybe Verizon is just so slow at their review process that before they finish reviewing 4.0.3 Google released 4.0.4 for them to review. Then while reviewing that Google puts out 4.0.5 for them to review. So they keep starting over and never finishing and releasing the updates. So maybe their issue is that it is being updated too fast for them to keep up and were never taught to finish what you started. Now I doubt this is 100% true, it was just a thought.

I think that VZW is purposely and willfully slow.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

Yeah I just don't think the nexus is Verizon's priority. Which is why the razr and the rezound will be updated first. Then they will get around to the nexus.

From the best android phone PERIOD. Galaxy Nexus.