1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Default Re: PSA - Serious Flaw in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by jerrod6 View Post
    How do can you tell where your device was made?
    Mine says it on the top of the box next to the IMEI number but it should also say in the sticker on the back of the phone behind the battery.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,009 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Quote Originally Posted by scottymac5213 View Post
    The effort that went into the OP's chart is appreciated but is probably based on flawed data given how ICS reports signal strength compared to the other devices. Plus, I'm not so sure this is "PSA" worthy as it seems that given the sheer number of threads on this and other forums, it's not exactly a new topic, but I totally understand the frustration that would drive such an endeavor to create "proof".
    But most threads on here start with a "this phone sucks, the reception sucks" etc. so the manner in which the OP presented it is appreciated.
    Thanked by 3:

All I can add is my observation of months worth of reading this forum, numerous other forums across the web (including Verizon's own support forum), and even hundreds of reviews on Verizon's main website (where you can buy the phone), and it's readily apparent the Galaxy Nexus has a signal connection issue unlike any other LTE phone.
    YourMobileGuru and jroc like this.

ROM
    Vicious JB V3/ Franco

I have a Galaxy Nexus and my work gave me a Razr. I can confirm that the Razor always has a stronger signal and always performs significantly better in speed tests.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    jroc likes this.

My measurements corroborate the OP. If you have signal issues with the Nexus you're gonna know it quick and it will be unmistakable. It took me just a few days to pretty much know it needed to go back. And you have a two week return window. So just get another phone. The people who fall through the cracks are the first time smartphone owner who may not know better. I owned a D1 and DX so I knew this was not normal (and I'm talking 3g...4g was quite poor). People considering the Gnex should try two of them to convince yourself. If that fails go HTC or Moto. If your signal is good, congrats you have a great phone. For you.

Sent by my Rezound using Tapatalk 2 Beta 5.
    Last edited by burwil; 04-01-2012 at 10:37 PM.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

VZWRocks, thanks for the information. If anything the information you have provided via your research is interesting.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    VZWRocks, thanks for the information. If anything the information you have provided via your research is interesting.
    No problem Paul, if this helps even one person on the fence make their decision and/or prevents someone from making a decision that they regret then it has served it's purpose. If it gets people talking more about an issue that others seem to want to sweep under the rug then it has served it's purpose.

This is a phone we all WANT to love but given this issue it's hard.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Hearing this phone has signal problems is no surprise to me. I've tried the samsung nexus s and the samsung galaxy s2, all of which I have had to return because of poor signal quality.

I am surprised a company can get away with such a major flaw on so many different devices and nobody does anything.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    Hearing this phone has signal problems is no surprise to me. I've tried the samsung nexus s and the samsung galaxy s2, all of which I have had to return because of poor signal quality.

I am surprised a company can get away with such a major flaw on so many different devices and nobody does anything.
    People who complain loud enough get replacement hardware (certified like new replacement, really just someone else's return that was checked out and wiped).

ROM
    Stock Rooted

I'm tired of everyone thinking that every single Nexus has a defect. Mine works PERFECT. Never had a drop. My 4G only goes out in classrooms at school and my house. I have wifi so it doesn't matter really. The phone is the best phone out there (at least for Verizon). What's the point of the same exact rants in these sub-forums? Its very simple, just get a new phone. Have fun getting a Razr or Rezound and being stuck with a discontinued phone after a few months. At least I know these come once a year.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    karn101 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

many many many many many many many Samsung devices have signal problems. There are a lot of people that acknowledge it.

The problem is, people have a need to defend the phone they own, even to their detriment.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

You know, this reminds me of early iPhone users (and maybe even current) on ATT. I asked them how they liked it and they said they loved it except for poor reception to make/receive phone calls. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus is a beautiful pieces of equipment (way too big for my taste) but it is amazing what people put up with to own this phone. While I love having a smartphone (rather than carrying a Palm PDA and a phone) I still need my phone to work as a phone - if it can't do that (even though I make fewer calls than ever) it is useless to me for both personal and professional reasons. I live in a small town (<20,000) in rural Southern Nevada and Verizon is the only carrier that has consistent good coverage throughout the city. I see other people with other carriers and there is always some caveat about their service so you get what you pay for. That being said, I think the other carriers are a lot closer in cost than they used to be (although some of the pre-paid plans can get pretty inexpensive (Page Plus is an excellent reseller of Verizon service). JMHO.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Hovik818 View Post
    I'm tired of everyone thinking that every single Nexus has a defect. Mine works PERFECT. Never had a drop. My 4G only goes out in classrooms at school and my house. I have wifi so it doesn't matter really. The phone is the best phone out there (at least for Verizon). What's the point of the same exact rants in these sub-forums? Its very simple, just get a new phone. Have fun getting a Razr or Rezound and being stuck with a discontinued phone after a few months. At least I know these come once a year.

Nexus is not the best phone lol iPhone is.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cowsquad View Post
    Nexus is not the best phone lol iPhone is.

APRIL'S FOOL es)

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Getting a new phone will not fix a software bug unless you have corrupted files. You are one of the lucky ones who have one that works good for you but getting a new phone only works for ones that have hardware problems on top of the software issues.

And the replacement phones they send you are not new they are USED. The same phone you sand back they hook it up to a computer to see if there is a hardware issue, and when there isn't (the vast majority of cases) they reflash the software, re-package the phone and send it out so the next person who complains about theirs not working.

The only times I've had problems with my Galaxy Nexus is when I'm in an area that's right on the boundary lines of 3G/4G. I have signal problems at work, yes, but everyone has signal problems where I work, regardless of carrier. I think the problem there is with the structure of the building in which we work. Otherwise, my phone has been fine. Maybe I'm lucky.

I'm in a very strong 4G area, and I'm sure that's part of why I don't experience many problems.
    jroc likes this.

I've worked with technicians from ATT & T-Mobile for years. Their project managers were tasked with improving coverage in our buildings. I would get their opinions on the various devices and each of them told me that Samsung devices are the worst RF front ends on the market. The phones they trusted for their coverage readings were LG. At the time I was looking for a Standard phone I did side by side tests in the store. Constantly the Samsungs were in fact the worst, Motorola's were average and LG s looked the strongest. I bought an LG and was happy. When it came time to buy my first smart phone I strayed and got the Samsung Charge for it's battery life and screen. Just seem like the best of the 4G bunch. It wasn't a bad phone. Liked it for what it could do but I'm here to say that I now have a Motorola Maxx and it's a true love affair. The Nexus looks awesome, better screen, newer os but underneath the glitzy exterior I feel that's it's inferior to this Maxx in operation and quality. The signal is solid, the call quality is way better than my charge was, the screen rotation is smooth and fast and the 3300mah battery is second to none. To each his own but I don't think I'll ever stray again.
    Last edited by rbess1965; 04-02-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    "When you turn your Android on, does it return the favor?"
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by trivor View Post
    you know, this reminds me of early iphone users (and maybe even current) on att. I asked them how they liked it and they said they loved it except for poor reception to make/receive phone calls. the verizon galaxy nexus is a beautiful pieces of equipment (way too big for my taste) but it is amazing what people put up with to own this phone. while i love having a smartphone (rather than carrying a palm pda and a phone) i still need my phone to work as a phone
    +100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
    Quote Originally Posted by rbess1965 View Post
    I now have a Motorola Maxx and it's a true love affair. The Nexus looks awesome, better screen, newer os but it underneath the glitzy exterior I feel that's it's inferior to this Maxx in operation. The signal is solid, the call quality is way better than my charge was, the screen rotation is smooth and fast and the 3300mah battery is second to none. To each his own but I don't think I'll ever stray again.
    I want a MAXX variant on Sprint, so badly.

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    Getting a new phone will not fix a software bug unless you have corrupted files. You are one of the lucky ones who have one that works good for you but getting a new phone only works for ones that have hardware problems on top of the software issues.

And the replacement phones they send you are not new they are USED. The same phone you sand back they hook it up to a computer to see if there is a hardware issue, and when there isn't (the vast majority of cases) they reflash the software, re-package the phone and send it out so the next person who complains about theirs not working.
    I completely agree in that sense, but I meant a different phone. If you complain enough, they will send you a Razr (or something else). Ive done it before.

Edit: iPhone is a joke. My opinion of course!

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

I completely agree in that sense, but I meant a different phone. If you complain enough, they will send you a Razr (or something else). Ive done it before.
    So have a lot of people. Generally you have to go through several replacement devices before they let you go to another phone.

Edit: iPhone is a joke. My opinion of course!
    An opinion yes but with a lot of truth behind it. The iPhone is well known to be a mediocre phone at best wen it comes to signal

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

This reminds me of similar issues with the Thunderbolt. We lost signal regularly. Had random re-boots. It took five months to fix. Now that it works well I'm waiting to see if the GN gets fixed before I upgrade. Can't afford another business trip with a malfunctioning phone.
    Last edited by DC Damien; 04-02-2012 at 12:40 AM.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by DC Damien View Post
    This reminds me of similar issues with the Thunderbolt. We lost signal regularly. Had random re-boots. It took five months to fix. Now that it works well I'm waiting to see if it gets fixed before I upgrade.
    Thunderbolt signal was never THIS bad, even during the broken MR2 days.

Global Posts
    10,396 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

That is a isolated indecent....sorry, that was my experience, but my nexus homes slammed that to shame as evidenced by defects.....this is a minority....the majority rock solid nexus....
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    That is a isolated indecent....sorry, that was my experience, but my nexus homes slammed that to shame as evidenced by defects.....this is a minority....the majority rock solid nexus....
    The majority of those who report a positive experience seem to be running updated or custom ROMs, that's MY experience from what I have seen reading the forums.

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    So have a lot of people. Generally you have to go through several replacement devices before they let you go to another phone.
    Nevertheless my friend, I hope you find a solution.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast