Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,724 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Default Re: PSA - Serious Flaw in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    The majority of those who report a positive experience seem to be running updated or custom ROMs, that's MY experience from what I have seen reading the forums.
    not, sorry, we (those that run morph OS) are few.....I know several on .04 that are killer happy.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #52  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Hovik818 View Post
    Nevertheless my friend, I hope you find a solution.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    For me the solution is that I dont take the Nexus with me that often (mostly use it around the house on Wifi) but obviously not everyone else can do that.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,724 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

obviously.....
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #54  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    not, sorry, we (those that run morph OS) are few.....I know several on .04 that are killer happy.
    You just made my pint for me .02 is stock firmware for this device right now. Anything newer is custom (even if it is straight AOSP).
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Thanked by:
    jroc 
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,724 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

All good ,your thread just deflated....enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    The only times I've had problems with my Galaxy Nexus is when I'm in an area that's right on the boundary lines of 3G/4G.
    I've been saying the same thing for months, I think the signal problems with the Galaxy Nexus are most obvious in the 4G fringe areas, which is unfortunately where my house lies. My phone works much better in downtown Phoenix where there is a super strong 4G signal but becomes useless at home and when traveling around my suburb which lies on the edge of the 4G market. Other 4G phones work great here (Thunderbolt, Bionic, RAZR) but the Galaxy Nexus just can't seem to make it work for some reason.
    jroc likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,724 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

You just made my pint for me .02 is stock firmware for this device right now. Anything newer is custom (even if it is straight AOSP).
    the pint or point has been punctured....enjoy! I know the nexus ain't that defunct dude. And I hate the nexus.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #58  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

All good ,your thread just deflated....enjoy!
    How do you figure that? The thread is about 24hrs old and already almost 6 pages. Seems to me it is just getting started.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,724 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Because this thread is lame....sorry guy.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #60  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Because this thread is lame....sorry guy.
    Wishing a problem away does not make it go away.

Enough people have had thus problem and hopefully more people will have the courage to speak up now. This device on stock 4.0.2 firmware has some SERIOUS issues that will hopefully be addressed in the next OTA, but until that happens people considering this device have the right to know how significant the problem really is.

If you dont have anything to actually contribute to the discussion please leave the thread.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,724 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

The Verizon Galaxy Nexus is one of the most popular handsets on this website, and for good reason, it is the first Nexus device on Verizon and one of the first devices in the world to get the heavily anticipated Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, and one of the few that will run it in stock form, free of carrier and OEM customization. The device itself is powerful beast, with a glorious screen. For these and other reasons this device should, at least on paper, be one of if not THE best Android phone on the market.

But the Verizon Galaxy Nexus has a pretty significant flaw, a flaw that is often completely ignored or when not ignored sidelined in favor of emphasizing the benefits of the device. That flaw is signal strength and the ability to stay on 4G. People acknowledge it but the truth of the matter is that I dont think that people realize just how bad the problem is, including the people who run this site.

With that in mind I have been doing a little experiment over the last two weeks. I am in the rare position to own 6 of Verizons 4G LTE devices and have all of them on service. I chose a room at home that gets mediocre cellular reception and have been keeping track of the dBm of each device at 4 different times throughout the day. These times were different each day but in general were late night (after midnight, before I went to bed), early to mid morning (whenever I got up), afternoon, and evening. For those that do not know dBm is the true measure of cellular signal ranging from -120 (no signal whatsoever) to -60 (perfect or nearly so). The data was taken from the Status screen in the settings menu, not an app or widget to minimize the possibility of error. Each measurement was taken right after the other.

The raw data is presented below in the following graphic but here is a summary:
    Code:
    			Week 1 Average 	Week 2 Average	Average Weeks 1&2
    VZW Galaxy Nexus		-101.8			-101.9			-104.3
    HTC Thunderbolt		-90			        -90			        -90.5
    HTC Rezound		        -93.2			-93.2			-92.8
    Droid RAZR			-92.9			-92.9			-92.8
    Droid 4			        -92			        -92			        -93
    Droid Bionic			-85.3			-85.3			-85.8
    All devices are running STOCK firmware and NOT rooted.

As you can see the Galaxy Nexus has by far the worst signal of the bunch. The two week average had a difference of 19 dBm between the worst (Galaxy Nexus), and the best (Droid Bionic). For a device that was so maligned I was quite surprised to see how much stronger the Bionic was than anything else in the stable. In some tests I found the difference to be nearly 30 dBm between it and the Nexus.

Now I can see some of the responses now he must have a defective device but I can assure you my device gets within a 2-3 dBm difference of every other Galaxy Nexus I have had the chance to compare it to, so its highly unlikely.

Now before some of you decide to string me up, I want to make it clear that the purpose of this post is NOT to bash the Nexus. Remember that I do actually own one, and if I hated it that bad I would have returned it during the post holiday return period. The purpose of this is to educate people and to bring attention to a serious problem that must be fixed ASAP.

Im a huge believer in people should buy what makes them happy and ignore the haters and device evangelists, but given the fact that I do change phones so often I am also in a position where I am not as emotionally invested in my purchases and can look at things a little more objectively than most. There are some really nice things about the Galaxy Nexus and ICS, and some things that are not so nice, and a few things that really suck ... signal strength is one of those things that really sucks. I must say that when I began this experiment I knew that there was a significant difference but had no idea that it was as pronounced as it is.

I sincerely hope that this is merely a software issue and Samsung, Verizon, and Google are able to get it straightened out in short order, because as of right now I cant recommend anyone get the Nexus as their primary device, because a phone that doesnt get reception when you need it is worthless.

Raw data below:

Click to view quoted image

EDIT: I said the following in a post later in the thread but I think it bares mentioning here as well:
    Being a scholar I wanted to reference your material.....to bad it does not have any...going back to Panda rap...this sucks.....

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

going back to Panda rap...this sucks.....
    Please be a man of your word in this regard. Subsequent postings will reveal the validity.
    Thanked by:
    Johnly 
    Johnly likes this.

Lets try and keep good discussion going here and on topic

No need to start trashing a thread if we don't agree with it.

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Paul627g; 04-02-2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: typo :)
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by 3:
    Jerry Hildenbrand likes this.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Does anybody have a real world example of where the Galaxy Nexus exceeds a Moto phone in terms of dropping calls?
    jroc likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #65  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    Does anybody have a real world example of where the Galaxy Nexus exceeds a Moto phone in terms of dropping calls?
    Anyone have an answer to his question? I'm curious too.

I almost never make actual phone calls from anything but my Droid4 and Rezond, the other devics are used for data almost exclusively.

That being said my study was of signal strength which factors into dropped calls but you would be surprised how low the dBm can be and still make calls (that do not drop).

I appreciate your post, VZWRocks. I only wish I had read (and listened) to such a warning before purchasing my GNex 4 days ago. I saw some negative reviews beforehand regarding signal strength, but didn't think it would be this bad.

I've tried the roms, radios, and every other suggested fix. Nothing has made a difference. Call quality sucks, 4g disconnects every few minutes, and signal strength sits around 112dBm even though Verizon coverage is excellent in my area. The only time my data is stable is when I keep it strictly on 3g.

I want to love my GNex, but can't with such a huge deal breaker. I'm going to return mine before my 14-day grace period ends. I hope the next update fixes this problem for everyone else, but I'm not willing to wait and see. Good luck, fellas.

Thanked by:
    jroc 
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Best of Luck Ken. You're far from alone in overlooking the warnings. The hype surrounding this phone is something that I haven't seen outside of iPhone I think. It's being heavily filed by the various bloggers but people seem to forget that they are mostly using the GSM version which by all accounts does not have this priblrm but as Phil and Jerry did a very good job of punctuationg in the last podcast they are not the same phone.

If its any consolation the RAZR and Rezound should get ICS this week.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

ROM
    Stock

Has anyone on here with poor signal flashed the radio and firmware themselves? Not just using the OTA? I did that long ago and it seemed to be better after I completely flashed everything, boot.img, radios, software, everything. You need an unlocked bootloader, but you would be flashing files downloaded from google.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

I love mine. It has it's issues. But nothing that takes away from the experience.

I love mine as well. I had some reboot issues. But I replaced the battery and havent had one reboot since. The signal on mine is really strong. I live in the Seattle area and there are very few areas were my signal is bad.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    Has anyone on here with poor signal flashed the radio and firmware themselves? Not just using the OTA? I did that long ago and it seemed to be better after I completely flashed everything, boot.img, radios, software, everything. You need an unlocked bootloader, but you would be flashing files downloaded from google.
    I've never had the leaked ota, but I've flashed the .4 radios and bootloader ages ago and it has really improved my signal.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by superbleester View Post
    Nice point. I'm running the 4.04 radios and they are by far the best. I have no problems at all now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Can you provide any data similar to VZW rocks to provide metrics for the 4.0.4 radio?

Ok, let's get real. I was trained in science. A degree in computer science from UCLA. The test shown in the first post here is interesting. However, that's all it is. It only shows various tests over a short period from one guys house. Not much scientific about that. We don't know anything about the terrain, the cell tower, the location. The same tests performed a mile away may have been completely different. This was not anything near scientific in any way, shape or form.

Having said all that, though, the one thing I learned in the real world is that science doesn't rule. Perception does. It doesn't matter what the numbers show because the human will put whatever spin on it they want to fit their perception. If a phone owner believes this is the best phone available then guess what? It is. For them You can show tables, charts, graphs of how terrible a phone is but for that one person it's the perfect device.

Conversely, it the person has the perception that the phone is a piece of crap than, guess what? It is. For that person. There can be 10,000 evangelists come to a forum like this and sing the praises and that one person will never be convinced otherwise. To them it's a piece of crap and everyone else doesn't know what they're talking about.

The reality is somewhere in between. In fact, no two people use the phone exactly alike so comparisons are skewed anyway.

The only solution is to get down off the high horse, no matter the color of your horse, and realize that your point of view only represents your perception. Others have a different perception that you'll never be able to change.
    Phones: Droid (2009 original stock) --> Incredible --> Thunderbolt (Rooted/ROMed) --> Galaxy Nexus (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 2 (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 3 (Stock) --> Note 4 (stock)
    Tablets: Tab 10.1 --> Note 10.1 (2014 edition)
    Watches: Pebble (original) --> Moto 360
    Thanked by 3:
    jroc, smcd5213 and bakerbert like this.

Can you provide any data similar to VZW rocks to provide metrics for the 4.0.4 radio?
    Yeah! Except skip the part where you compare 4G to other devices' 3G reception, and fail to repeat your experiment with valid data, and instead just bash the phone over and over. You can skip that part.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,724 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    The "raw data" I don't buy. It isn't referenced, and I simply don't believe it. I always had a connection with my Galaxy, and always below 100 DBMS. Never had a dropped call, not once. Verizon's LTE network and the associated handoffs can be problematic. The Sammy is just fine, though I had "other" issues with it. This is not truth or believable....it could be had it been sourced properly.....I am in disagreement, never disrespect.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast