PSA - Serious Flaw in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Undertoad

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Well the Engadget story is "what would you change about your phone" not "what you hate about your phone". So these aren't gripes but rather a wishlist.

Sure, I want a better camera and battery. If they are giving them out for free.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Well the Engadget story is "what would you change about your phone" not "what you hate about your phone". So these aren't gripes but rather a wishlist.

Sure, I want a better camera and battery. If they are giving them out for free.

I agree. I'd rather have a great screen with a crappy camera than a crappy screen with a good camera.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that the thread is this long, and the OP has this many "likes" and "thanks", and people are glossing over the FACT that all of the phones in the graph are showing 3G signal strength while the Nexus is showing 4G signal strength.

Not only that, but the Anandtech article showed a Bionic and Nexus side by side with the logcat displaying the Bionic's actual 4G signal strength (which is the ONLY way to see it's 4G signal strength)...which matched the Nexus.

Click to view quoted image

The OP has done a great job of displaying this information and doing some basic testing, but the information is in error.

Not me, because I owned both phones and neither one dropped phone calls, although the Bionic did lose it's 4G connection slightly more. But I believe that was due to the network and not the phone. It was still pretty new to Sacramento at the time.

Brandon

Just wanted to make sure this point is occasionally bumped for anyone who may actually take this thread seriously. If I was a moderator I'd make you change the VERY misleading title of this tread. NOTHING official about it. Sick of seeing it on the front page from trolls. Nice to see you have all that time on your hands though VZWRocks.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Every phone has its gripes.

Like the Maxx has what, a calculator screen?

I keed, I keed ;).

(Sort of).

Worse. The MAXX has Blurred Gingerbread and an encrypted bootloader. As a former Droid X owner, I can state that an encrypted bootloader is a huge pain in the ass.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Worse. The MAXX has Blurred Gingerbread and an encrypted bootloader. As a former Droid X owner, I can state that an encrypted bootloader is a huge pain in the ass.

lol yeah. I mean it's a nice phone, and I guess it's more reliable, but if I wanted that bad of a screen I would have stuck with my Incredible and bought a new SD card.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I had the RAZR for about three weeks before I got the Galaxy Nexus, and while the RAZR was a nice phone, the screen was just horrid. I suppose I'd find it nice enough if I didn't have experience with a nicer screen. Almost everything else about it was a great step up from the Droid X.

I do really like Motorola phones. It'd be awesome if they had the Nexus contract the next time I'm up for upgrade.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I had the RAZR for about three weeks before I got the Galaxy Nexus, and while the RAZR was a nice phone, the screen was just horrid. I suppose I'd find it nice enough if I didn't have experience with a nicer screen. Almost everything else about it was a great step up from the Droid X.

I do really like Motorola phones. It'd be awesome if they had the Nexus contract the next time I'm up for upgrade.

Had the same experience going into a VZW store a couple weeks ago. Could not believe the screen on it. Everything else is perfect--then THAT.

I understand complaining about a bad camera, but you use a screen much more frequently. I could never downgrade the screen and live with myself lol

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to make sure this point is occasionally bumped for anyone who may actually take this thread seriously. If I was a moderator I'd make you change the VERY misleading title of this tread. NOTHING official about it. Sick of seeing it on the front page from trolls. Nice to see you have all that time on your hands though VZWRocks.

There is nothing misleading about it, no where have i used the world official. Nor did I use something more direct such as "WARNING: The Radio on This Phone Really Sucks". Just because some people on here actually agree with me does not make them (or I) trolls.

Fortunately the moderators on this site believe in free speech and at least one of them agrees with the conclusions.

I stand by my original statement that letting others know about how bad the radio on this phone is is a public service. If you dont like it you are free to present your own data and/or leave the thread.

scodoublet

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Just to add to what I posted earlier, I have never had issues with phone calls or texts going out on the Nexus. All my issues are with the data connection. Also when this phone is working right which is really most of the time, it's the best phone I've ever had, and there's been a lot. But when my 3G data connection drops or goes so slow that it's unusable and I'm not near WiFi, I want to smash the thing.

I wonder what could be happening that would make my phone work perfectly fine and around 1500kbs down one minute then, sitting in the same location, suddenly drop to around 10kbs down or less and be nearly unusable. I've had this happen while sitting next to a coworker who had a Droid X and his speeds stayed normal while mine was nearly nonexistent.

That leads me to believe it has to be something to do with the way the tower in that area communicates with the Galaxy Nexus. Just speculation of course because I really don't know how the magic happens lol. Anybody have any input about this?

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante