Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Default I only want email notifications for only some...

I was wondering if it was possible to pick who I want to get an email notification from. I'm running the Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE on Verizon (BAMF 1.1, 4.0.3) and would like to have emails from places like groupon, spg, llbean etc. show up in my inbox and make NO notification noise. I'd like to get notified if my friend/family/work emails me.

Too many times looking at emails only to see that it is a groupon for yet another cupcake company.

Thanks for the advice!

Default Re: I only want email notifications for only some...

I don't have my phone on me right now, so I can't check this myself, but if you're using the Gmail app try going into the settings and see if there are notification options for different labels or for your priority inbox. That way only specific labels/priority inbox messages would generate notifications.

Another approach, if you use Gmail, would be to set up a custom filter that forces all messages you don't want to be notified about to skip the inbox. You can still browse your unread messages by viewing all unread, or by having the filter apply a label and searching for the label. Only the non-filtered messages would make it to the inbox and generate notifications.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

two good ideas...i'll see what's what...

I was right.

Gmail App > Settings > Your Account > Manage Labels

"Choose which labels are synced and trigger notifications."

You can also do the opposite with Gmail filters and set filters to pick up emails from certain contacts and "star" those emails. then you can set up a notification upon receipt of starred emails. You can also et up a notification on "Important" emails and as you receive emails you deem important, mark them as such and gmail will begin to pick up on them and self-mark important emails.