The update is coming so I unrooted and here is why....

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So I am on my 3rd device.
Was solid until about two weeks ago.
I am on a fringe area where I live but I work in a 4g area. So my signal is always cutting out. I tried codename and Bugless Beast (BB doesn't have an update option) and tried the .4 radios.

I call Verizon and get a nice lady in tech support who says they cannot exchange devices for another manufacturer when a new update is so close. I asked is this the rumored 4.0.5 update? She said yes.
I asked her what does it do? She said they were only given general info and not a firm release date.
I said oh ok, so I can't get a rezound, etc.?
No, the update will address the 3g/4g delay, lag, switch (whatever you want to call it) issue and we normally don't switch devices when there is an update pending. Samsung hasn't given us all the info to push the update yet, but I will call you on the 19th to verify that you have received the update. If you have yet to receive it we will push it to your device. If that doesn't work we will call Samsung on a conference call and proceed from there.

So let the rumor mill begin.....I take it as the update will be released in the next two weeks and instead of signal strength it will address the switching from 4g to 3g and back much quicker thus not dropping a call as much.
She said they all know about the numerous complaints about the signal compared to other devices.
She had me test my Dinc, my wife's iphone4 and even though I had the same dbm (-73) if I moved two feet it jumped to -120....while of course the other devices stayed the same. I know the number is different because of 4g.....

KrispyKrink

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my 4th GN and will be selling it to someone local that's into the rooting/custom ROM thing. Can't return it, can't swap it since Verizon claims all of its problems are software related. Bad thing to admit in CA with the Lemon Law. Software update has been "coming soon" every time I've asked since December.

Bad/no signal while my other Verizon devices (Android and iPhone 4) get full bars or typical -65 to -60. Never been able to make or receive a call that lasted more than 5 seconds. Wifi dies when screen sleeps, no streaming anything despite wifi sleep settings to always on unless screen is on. Reboots twice an hour. That's with all 4 GN's.

With all of that out of the box, it shouldn't be sold. That's just my experience with this phone.

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I dont have many problems and still have my first gnex but i would like to see better signal strength and faster handoff

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
On Gnex #2 because the customer support person called Samsung CS to finally get a fix for the mic drop out issue I have had since day 1 (12-15-11). Samsung instructed them to send me a new phone.... The new one also has the same mic drop issue.

All other contact with either CS on the phone or store personnel tout the big magic update which will arrive "sometime in Jan... um Feb... um March"... any day now. I hope it is a software issue with the phone and not a problem with the 4G network in major metropolitan areas. There are many that do not have the problem, and other folks like me that have the problem no matter how many handsets they try.

Other than the bad radio/phone,... I love the phone. Little things like the sluggish screen rotation etc. are no problem and can be fixed down the road in my opinion. Hoping the mic drop issue gets resolved with this long awaited update. I feel very invested in the amount of time and dropped calls I have endured.

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I must be one of the rare few thar doesnt have issues with my current phone. I on my 2nd.... only bc my first phone didnt recognize google voice input... exchanged it for a new one and works like a champ. 4g signal strength is ok... but definitely doesnt have any of the issues stated by other users on this forum..

I really do hope the next update will address the signal issue.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I dont have many problems and still have my first gnex but i would like to see better signal strength and faster handoff

Howarmat! Dude! Great to see you in the nexus arena! This guy is great. He helped me with so much back in my blackberry days. Yuck. Don't miss that os for nothin!

Dropped from XparentLiquidNexus via TapaTalk

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Man... I just got mine and am having a tough time with battery life, 3G/4G, and mobile network (calls). I couldn't even place calls from my desk at work today... I love the form and function of the phone, but unless a software update can address these issues, I'll be forced to swap. What good is a smart phone without data, and a phone in general, without the ability to place or take calls?

Reading about folks who buy a phone and then are forced to keep an essentially non-working device because it is older than 30 days is so frustrating. I think those who have complained within that 30 days, and have been strung along by reps who don't really know, should be able to swap it or get refunded. when is the company forced to take liability for their non-functioning device?

I wanted the Nexus to work pretty badly. I knew the risks and took them because I was hopeful that the problems expounded here were a minority, but I'm squarely hit with just about all of them (no mic issue yet thank God)...

I too hope this update comes soon and resolves some of these issues. I wonder too, if this is part of the reason Amazon is selling this phone for $79 on contract now...? My conspiracy-theory mind wants to know: Is Samsung & Google giving up on it?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The other thing to keep in mind is that the new release will be available, with root intact, from the dev community if not before it's released OTA by verizon/google, then very shortly thereafter.

It's not root that is the problem, as you know i guess, but either the software or the hardware on these units with defects.

Once the release is available, it will be available with root and will be just a flash away from your phone.

Just a thought.

Anyway, I feel for all of you with underperforming devices. It's really a shame. QC from samsung is really lacking here.

Reactions: axne1 and 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
No radio update is going to be life-changing.. Samsung radios are always going to be kinda crappy.. And if you're in a weak area you will still get dropped signals and poor battery unless you switch to CDMA only. That's just the way of it. I work in a crap area so set for 3g only unless I'm bringing my charger to work. When I get home I can switch to 4g and be pretty good (though usually on wifi at home anyway).

Moral is, don't expect any miracles from radio firmware updates.. There is only so much they can do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Reactions: axne1 and zero neck

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
So I am on my 3rd device.
Was solid until about two weeks ago.
I am on a fringe area where I live but I work in a 4g area. So my signal is always cutting out. I tried codename and Bugless Beast (BB doesn't have an update option) and tried the .4 radios.

I call Verizon and get a nice lady in tech support who says they cannot exchange devices for another manufacturer when a new update is so close. I asked is this the rumored 4.0.5 update? She said yes.
I asked her what does it do? She said they were only given general info and not a firm release date.
I said oh ok, so I can't get a rezound, etc.?
No, the update will address the 3g/4g delay, lag, switch (whatever you want to call it) issue and we normally don't switch devices when there is an update pending. Samsung hasn't given us all the info to push the update yet, but I will call you on the 19th to verify that you have received the update. If you have yet to receive it we will push it to your device. If that doesn't work we will call Samsung on a conference call and proceed from there.

So let the rumor mill begin.....I take it as the update will be released in the next two weeks and instead of signal strength it will address the switching from 4g to 3g and back much quicker thus not dropping a call as much.
She said they all know about the numerous complaints about the signal compared to other devices.
She had me test my Dinc, my wife's iphone4 and even though I had the same dbm (-73) if I moved two feet it jumped to -120....while of course the other devices stayed the same. I know the number is different because of 4g.....

I don't see where you addressed the reason for un-rooting.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I unrooted because I typically don't have updates pushed to me....Don't know why, but it's been that way for any phone I have had.
Since BB didn't have the check for updates (I don't think custom roms do) I decided to go the stock rom.
I should have just flashed the stock back over but using WUG's I just un-rooted and then re-rooted to be running verizon's stock rom.
It's always been this way for me...Heck I went through 5 dincs because big red didnt believe me when I said it's the battery not the device. They sent a new battery and that phone still works like a champ.

Howarmat,
GREAT TO SEE YOU BACK!

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have actually been super happy with my nexus. i got it in Feb, and noticed the signal issues in the first couple days. so i did something about it.
flashed a 4.0.3 ROM, and the 4.0.4 radio and haven't looked back since.
i realize rooting/ROM-ing isn't for everyone...and i realize you shouldn't have to do this to a phone to get it to act, you know, LIKE A PHONE!! but if the signal was that bad to begin with, you should have swapped LONG ago...and if you dont want to do something about it (rooting/ROM and radio took like 30 minutes tops) that is your loss.

again, i have been happy as ever with my phone. its fantastic, i get marginal 4g signal, but still manage to get 8mb/s down and 5 up at work....42bm/s outside my work and home. stil manage 12 hours of battery life on average (2hrs screen on time) no mic cut-outs, no dropped calls ect.....all because i rooted on day 3.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have actually been super happy with my nexus. i got it in Feb, and noticed the signal issues in the first couple days. so i did something about it.
flashed a 4.0.3 ROM, and the 4.0.4 radio and haven't looked back since.
i realize rooting/ROM-ing isn't for everyone...and i realize you shouldn't have to do this to a phone to get it to act, you know, LIKE A PHONE!! but if the signal was that bad to begin with, you should have swapped LONG ago...and if you dont want to do something about it (rooting/ROM and radio took like 30 minutes tops) that is your loss.
again, i have been happy as ever with my phone. its fantastic, i get marginal 4g signal, but still manage to get 8mb/s down and 5 up at work....42bm/s outside my work and home. stil manage 12 hours of battery life on average (2hrs screen on time) no mic cut-outs, no dropped calls ect.....all because i rooted on day 3.

Really, my loss?
Did you actually read where I had said I flashed Codename and Bugless Beast? BB was 4.0.4.
Yeah signal was always bad but not as bad as it is currently. They are upgrading 4g in my area from it's current state so that could play into it as well.
I am rooted, but not flashing roms until the update is released is all I am saying.

Reactions: zero neck

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
While they seem like fine roms, by no means do I think they're the best in their respective fields (feature-filled and clean, respectively), although BB is pretty sweet ;).

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
All arguments about roms and radios aside, no rom will, or should, allow you to update because it can cause major problems. If you are rooted and running a custom rom, you will need to flash the update manually when its available.

It can be either the pure ota package, which will likely remove root, or you can flash a root enabled version supplied by a dev or baked into a new rom, which will keep root.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yup. I presume custom roms worth their salt will have 4.0.5 baked in within a day--maybe hours--of release.

It'll be whenever the source code comes out... And since 4.0.4 was only recently pushed to aosp I'd actually be surprised if anything higher than that comes to the gnex so soon. Methinks the next ota to be pushed will just be 4.0.4...

Actually... Now that I'm thinking about it.. I did see a bit over a week ago a pretty good source was hinting that 4.0.5 may be the next official version but it will be almost indistinguishable from 04..such that anyone who's run 03-04 roms won't really notice any difference with 05. I could of course be mistaken but that actually sounds plausible to me.

Just throwing it out there... I can't confirm anything any more than you guys.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to throw this out there, but 3G/4G handoff/signal strength has nothing to do with dropped calls. Data only.

This is the longest I've ever gone without flashing a ROM on a device. I did unlock and root previously, but returned to stock because I thought I had a hardware issue. Turned out to be the battery. Haven't unlocked again because I want to try out the OTA bone stock.

If it's not all pink unicorns, then I'm flashing AOKP and Franco's kernel ;)

*customized tapatalk signature*

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to throw this out there, but 3G/4G handoff/signal strength has nothing to do with dropped calls. Data only.

This is the longest I've ever gone without flashing a ROM on a device. I did unlock and root previously, but returned to stock because I thought I had a hardware issue. Turned out to be the battery. Haven't unlocked again because I want to try out the OTA bone stock.

If it's not all pink unicorns, then I'm flashing AOKP and Franco's kernel ;)

*customized tapatalk signature*

I mean.. You can restore stock images and try any ota whenever you want in about 5 minutes... In the meantime why not enjoy your Nexus and get on some rom action :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC