patience lost today

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Are you kidding me? You know me? You know my level of knowledge about these phones? You think I didnt do my research? You are sir are a nitwit.
This phone was never advertised a tinkerers phone. Don't try to act smarter than you really are. Most can see right through you.

What I know is that your solution to "fixing" the problems with your phone is throwing it against the wall. I think that in itself speaks volumes about your so-called level of knowledge about your phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
You are 100% correct. I had been waiting for months for the GN. I was frustrated when it was delayed, and I had mine the morning they were available. I have no problem rooting, hacking, or with instability.

However, I think you are missing my point. If you walked into the Verizon store as a newb, what phone would you buy? There are only a few that make sense: Iphone, Galaxy Nexus, Razor Maxx....Rezound??? hmmm. Honestly, which would you buy if you were not a techie?

Since Verizon expects to add 300,000+ subscribers a month, and at least 50% are buying smart phones, there are 100,000+ GN being shipped per month.

So the idea that the GN is a phone targeted at only the most technical savy is not correct.

My frustration is that I still do not have any official updates for my "Developer" phone to address long known issues, or add enhancements that I expect as a "Nexus" user. To make matters worse, I don't have simple things like a desktop dock, and Multi-media interface that were promised when I bought the device.

In my opinion, unless Samsung/Google do something soon to dramatically improve the usability/stability of the GN and Android in general, Iphone is going to begin taking market share by appealing to users who just want their phone to work!

I'm not claiming that the GNex is perfect or that only "Greeks" are buying this phone. This thread is case in point that the wrong people are buying this phone. What I am stating is that I KNEW from the get go what I was buying. I KNEW that it was a NEW version of the operating system so i was an early adopter. I KNEW that it was a development phone (a Nexus). I didn't buy it for a dock. Again, if i wanted a polished phone with all the standard bells and whistles, I would have bought something else. Period.

The GNex is like my 4th Android and probably 8th Smartphone. Each smartphone I've owned wasn't perfect and had its share of nuances and sometimes issues. I agree its frustrating when an expensive piece of tech malfunctions or has issues. Been there and done that. I agree companies need better quality control at times. I'm not blind. I'm also not arguing that the GNex hasn't had any documented hardware glitches. It has; however, from what I've read, its been minimal and the newest revisions have taken care of. My main point(s) in this thread is that many of the so called complaints expressed are user induced and entirely fixable. I don't have ANY of the complaints I've seen about this phone. The majority of these issues were fixed through development long ago.

Android's market share has grown exponentially and isn't slowing. Its not going anywhere and the OS is doing nothing but maturing and will continue to do so. In the mean time, I and many others find no compelling reason to switch to a different platform and find Android the best OS out there. Just out of the box stock and with no rooting whatsoever or unlocking, I can customize my user experience way more than on a jailbroken iPhone. Its a fact. For this reason alone, many will always choose Android as iOS isn't changing anytime soon, and if you ask me, will eventually be Apples downfall. Their OS isn't evolving. And while we are on the subject, their OS is not without flaws and the iPhone is not without its share of problems.

I maintain that the real argument here is the user...the consumer. People buying the wrong platform or wrong phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: dmmarck

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
It's so tempting to troll #teamiphone on instagram with this image and a #teamandroid tag :D

The idea enough is sufficient to make me laugh, without having to follow through.

*customized tapatalk signature*

Reactions: SOTK

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
1. It has VZ software on it
2. I ran unlocked, rooted and flashed 4.0.4 - no difference in poor signal strength, screeching sound during calls and mic cutting out.
3. The only commercial I've seen was all about Google+ and nothing about openness and ability of unlocking and rooting. In fact doing so voids the warranty so why would Verizon advertise those activities?
4. I'm only bitter because I really did wait for this damn phone and watched live presentation in the middle of the night and drooled over every little feature and every little curve.
In the end I returned my 4th sample and got Razr Maxx and it runs circles around GN except for the screen size.

Actually, it may void your warranty, which in legal parlance makes it "voidable" (at least from the terms on the actual bootloader). The distinction can be one of semantics, but it is important here--Verizon must elect to void your warranty, which, as we all know since we all throw these terms around, means that you are put in a position before the warranty existed (meaning no warranty, but that's the exact legal happenings behind it). However, they must elect to do so, meaning that unless they elect, the warranty is still a valid contract.

Do they elect to void your warranty? I presume so. I know people who've needed replacements and sent them in relocked and ready to rock (myself) and others who send them unlocked (others on here unnamed, cough cough Tony) with no repercussions. Hell, Asurion is embroiled right now b/c they're sending phones with the bootloader unlocked.

Still, please don't throw around legal terms without understanding the actual legal mechanics behind them. The chances of Verizon not voiding your warranty are probably slim to none if you operate without any caution, but the act in and of itself only enables Verizon the ability to do so--meaning they just may well not even bother.

Sorry, my lawyer hat is off again.

Reactions: SOTK

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
It's so tempting to troll #teamiphone on instagram with this image and a #teamandroid tag :D

The idea enough is sufficient to make me laugh, without having to follow through.

*customized tapatalk signature*

To some, screen size is everything. To most everyone else, not so much.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Not just screen size, but the evolution of the OS and the phone's general appearance as well.

But to each their own.

The general appearance is dictated by screen size. As far as evolution of the o/s, they are fairly even. Outside of the not yet released HTC One X, the iPhone hardware is more powerful.

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The general appearance is dictated by screen size. As far as evolution of the, they are fairly even. Outside of the not yet released HTC One X, the iPhone hardware is more powerful.

Like I said, to each their own.

Reactions: oxymoron

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The general appearance is dictated by screen size. As far as evolution of the, they are fairly even. Outside of the not yet released HTC One X, the iPhone hardware is more powerful.

Yup...that is why I fly Apple...years of being relevant vs obsolete in 9 months.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yup...that is why I fly Apple...years of being relevant vs obsolete in 9 months.

I'd put my flashed GN against any 4S, any day of the week in terms of features, flexibility, etc. :D.

But really, this is no place for an Apple v. Android discussion. I love Apple (2 MacBooks, 1 MacBook Pro, 3 iPods, 1 iPad), it's just that the iPhone is not for me--too boring for what I like to do, TBH.

Reactions: oxymoron

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Are you kidding me? Being flamed for not unlocking/rooting/flashing? What has Android Central come to? I guess I'm used to rootzwiki and XDA but a person would get "flamed" for NOT unlocking/rooting/flashing there! Wow.

I've never seen so much complaining about this device before. When the phone first came out there was some complaining about data issues (I know a few had legitimate and documented radio hardware failure) but almost all of what you guys are complaining about just doesn't exist in the circles I'm used to hanging out in. Again, there's some scattered legitimate hardware defects out there, but most of what you guys are complaining about was fixed a long time ago.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

I was testing a theory we have in the rooting section about how nonflash/root people think us crackflash guys are some type of whackos. And as you can surmise there is some truth to that notion.

Been around AC for over a year and can definitely see the average member mindset changed. We used to have more experimenters/enthusiast types who were more open to root type activities. Nowadays not so much.

I have learned that it's near impossible to sway ppls minds into trying the root lifestyle. Once set they are adamant and think us flash ppl are some teenage geek in the basement trolling aim chatgroups and hacking govt websites.

If they had a rom control or liquid control in their settings they would faint. It just makes the experience exponentially better/satisfying. My thinking is let them be and us flash ppl go on our way.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd put my flashed GN against any 4S, any day of the week in terms of features, flexibility, etc. :D.

But really, this is no place for an Apple v. Android discussion. I love Apple (2 MacBooks, 1 MacBook Pro, 3 iPods, 1 iPad), it's just that the iPhone is not for me--too boring for what I like to do, TBH.

Just don't bust out the voice functions lmao! I will too.

panerai7

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it may void your warranty, which in legal parlance makes it "voidable" (at least from the terms on the actual bootloader). The distinction can be one of semantics, but it is important here--Verizon must elect to void your warranty, which, as we all know since we all throw these terms around, means that you are put in a position before the warranty existed (meaning no warranty, but that's the exact legal happenings behind it). However, they must elect to do so, meaning that unless they elect, the warranty is still a valid contract.

Do they elect to void your warranty? I presume so. I know people who've needed replacements and sent them in relocked and ready to rock (myself) and others who send them unlocked (others on here unnamed, cough cough Tony) with no repercussions. Hell, Asurion is embroiled right now b/c they're sending phones with the bootloader unlocked.

Still, please don't throw around legal terms without understanding the actual legal mechanics behind them. The chances of Verizon not voiding your warranty are probably slim to none if you operate without any caution, but the act in and of itself only enables Verizon the ability to do so--meaning they just may well not even bother.

Sorry, my lawyer hat is off again.

This post was not necessary, everyone including yourself understod what I meant, why nitpicking?
Rooting will void warranty or Verizon will void your warranty once they found out you rooted, wth is the difference in this particular case - none. You bring a broken phone to the store, they see it's rooted, you're SOL, period.
Cheers

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If the Gnex had stepped up the quality and the OS was less problematic, then these threads would not exist. I know you like the Gnex, it's all over here, it's known I think it is a flop, as reflected in my posts. We can agree the Devils strait up help along the Gnex, I love that and that freedom.

We can all agree google blending honey comb and ginger to ICS was no small feat, and there are growing pains associated with that and some frustrations. I enjoy sharing my opinion when people slam iOS. Love these forums. I can't wait until this fall when manufactures start using materials like bamboo for the shell of these devices. Oh the fun. But yeah, I will win hole shots every day jail broken compared to the hardware you are limited with on the Gnex, especially games and graphics.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
This post was not necessary. everyone including yourself understod what I meant, why nitpicking?
Rooting will void warranty or Verizon will may void your warranty once they found out you rooted, wth is the but there is an actual difference in this particular case - none. You bring a broken phone to the store, they see it's rooted, you're SOL, period probably.
Cheers

Edited for clarity. ;)

It was completely necessary because individuals, some like yourself, believe that the act of unlocking the bootloader in and of itself declares your warranty void, translating into the end days for that flasher/rooter. You have it half right in your second sentence, but again are missing the point--saying they will presumes a foregone legal conclusion. In most--maybe all!--of the cases they will, because they're Big Red and they don't give a crap. But saying it as a 100% fact undermines what is actually (legally) going on with the warranty and the specific action of unlocking the bootloader.

And I say that b/c I've gone to the store with a rooted phone (my DINC), did not have my warranty voided, and survived to talk about it.

It's further necessary because paranoia about the warranty unfairly puts flashing in a bad light--almost like Republicans fear mongering. Yes, it's risky. And you assume all of that risk the moment you unlock it. But to get fire and brimstone about a warranty and it being void--particularly when it seems that people fail to grasp what that actually means in context--for the sole purpose of scaring people off is simply deceitful, careless, and over the top IMO.

So until people begin to understand the actual mechanics of what's going on, I will respond to each and every thread that uses the "it voids your warranty" excuse when scaring folks away from unlocking/rooting.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Mine are even better b/c they're ported over from the Galaxy Note. While you're getting your flirt on, I'm launching apps all day errday!

No doubt I get my flirt on, my wife to be gets it every day and her name is not Siri. Samsung software is the best on a android device. Always loved my Samsung devices, except the fascinate. While Touchwiz is close, it isn't as integrated as it could be with commands being initiated to there brutal end. Nothing is more annoying than to have to touch the screen while using voice....I can operate my phone truely hands free everywhere...Siri is one smart hctib.