View Poll Results: How many Galaxy Nexuses have you gone through?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll

113 66.47%

36 21.18%

12 7.06%
  • 4+

9 5.29%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Default Re: How many Galaxy Nexuses have you gone through?

I am still on my Launch Day GN. I have no real problems with it, although I have contemplated trying to get another.

Here is why: This GN replaced my Droid Charge.

Two things that I took for granted are:

1. The fact that the Droid charge's screen was superior in every way. It was MUCH brighter, the Whites were brilliant compared to the pale grey'ish cream of the GN, and I keep my GN's brightness at 90% so that it looks "right" to me vs the 60-70%.

2. The Camera. Wow, I am not sure if anyone realizes how FANTASTIC the Camera was on the Droid Charge. I was so excited to take pictures with that camera. Each picture was well focused, extremely clear and sharp. The camera on my Galaxy Nexus is really bad in comparison. Any movement whatsoever causes blurring, colors are so "grey" or "washed-out." I have two young children that I used to love taking pictures of everything they did until I got my GN.

After enjoying my charge for about 9 months, I couldn't help but think,"Wow, how great will the next generation device be?!!!" And really I love the size, design, and the OS of my GN, but really I took the screen and camera on the DC for granted.

Any thoughts that my phone has always had a defective screen? I took it back to the Verizon store the day after I had it, and compared it to the floor model they had there which looked exactly the same. So I didn't complain.

ROM
    OEM Unlock + Root

Got mine on launch day I had to replace it the next day due to a dead pixel but have been solid ever since. If you guys have had the phone replaced can you list the reasons why? BTW if you guys haven't tried the 4.0.4 yet, you are really missing out.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianLaker View Post
    Got mine on launch day I had to replace it the next day due to a dead pixel but have been solid ever since. If you guys have had the phone replaced can you list the reasons why? BTW if you guys haven't tried the 4.0.4 yet, you are really missing out.
    In order of device:

(1) Volume rocker button stopped working
    (2) CLN replacement was scuffed/scratched
    (3) Dead pixels and red crap between screen and glass
    (4) Fine so far!

ROM
    OEM Unlock + Root

Quote Originally Posted by Nextnexus View Post
    The Camera. Wow, I am not sure if anyone realizes how FANTASTIC the Camera was on the Droid Charge. I was so excited to take pictures with that camera. Each picture was well focused, extremely clear and sharp. The camera on my Galaxy Nexus is really bad in comparison. Any movement whatsoever causes blurring, colors are so "grey" or "washed-out." I have two young children that I used to love taking pictures of everything they did until I got my GN.
    You should try the 4.0.4 update that leaked, they improved the camera.

ROM
    OEM Unlock + Root

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    In order of device:

(1) Volume rocker button stopped working
    (2) CLN replacement was scuffed/scratched
    (3) Dead pixels and red crap between screen and glass
    (4) Fine so far!
    Yea, these all make sense to me. But someone earlier said that his notification light wouldn't turn off, I feel like that would be software and not hardware. Sure replacing the phone fixed it, but wiping or reloading the software would probably fix that too. It just makes me wonder how many phones being replaced really need to be.

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious JellyBean 4.1.1

I am on my first phone, first week of ownership. On the original ROM, I could not place calls all the time and I dropped calls. I have since rooted to CM9, but when LTE is turned on, I drop calls all the time and the LTE itself is unreliable. I thought at first CM9 fixed the 4G issue, but it has only "improved" it. When on 4G data, all seems fine... It is when I am on a phone call with 4G enabled that I cannot talk but a few minutes before a drop.
    It seems I should swap out the phone, but, being I am in the first 30 days of ownership can I swap phones and still return it if I don't like it? (Purchased at Amazon Wireless)
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianLaker View Post
    Yea, these all make sense to me. But someone earlier said that his notification light wouldn't turn off, I feel like that would be software and not hardware. Sure replacing the phone fixed it, but wiping or reloading the software would probably fix that too. It just makes me wonder how many phones being replaced really need to be.
    100% agree. There are so many software issues b/c ICS itself is fairly buggy, and with the addition of apps that may not be truly "tuned to ICS," the issues compound.

The 4.0.4 radios, for me, show my signal a bit better (more accurately?) in addition to switching networks easier. That's a software issue. Is part of it hardware? Absolutely. But still, there is improvement (at least on my end, and considering each of those above devices have been on 4.0.2 and then 4.0.3 or .4, I have a decent amount of experience with the radios across multiple devices).
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

on my 3rd.
    first screen stopped responding.
    second reception issues.
    3rd same thing.
    4th device may be a rezound.

On my original gsm GN. Hardware is perfect. I have some software issues with wifi and bluetooth on stock 4.0.2. Hopefully a stable cm9 will improve when it's available.

I'm on my second.. I bricked the security element with Google Wallet, Verizon could give a damn but Google took responsibility.. sent me a new phone, still have some issues such as phone call quality and 1 random reset so far. Everything else I love. I'm sure Google sent a new phone cause, it came with its own box with all new accessories and battery, although I guess they can just stick a GN sticker in the refurb unit.

What about U guys? Did VZ send U all new accessories?

I was the second guy in line on launch day and I am still using the one I bought that day. I've had very few issues with it but it's not perfect. I'm hoping Google is able to fix the issues that pop up on occasion. I've had the audio cut out on calls and it has recently started rebooting on occasion.

I am on my first (that I bought on launch day).

If you are slightly daring, I would suggest you flash a custom ROM - AOKP (Open Kang Project) - now is utilizing 4.04. Amazing stuff and it's VERY easy to do. Since doing it - my battery is much better (at least 30%), signal is twice as good, much faster than stock and I have a really cool RED theme on it. Awesome stuff and HIGHLY supported!!

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious JellyBean 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by kashabrown View Post
    I am on my first (that I bought on launch day).

If you are slightly daring, I would suggest you flash a custom ROM - AOKP (Open Kang Project) - now is utilizing 4.04. Amazing stuff and it's VERY easy to do. Since doing it - my battery is much better (at least 30%), signal is twice as good, much faster than stock and I have a really cool RED theme on it. Awesome stuff and HIGHLY supported!!
    I will try that too. I snagged my wife's replacement Razr Maxx and am using it today. The signal issues are totally non-existent with this one (compared to my GN). I'm going to use the Maxx for a day or so to make sure the issue is not independent of my GN. In the meantime, I will try another ROM. My real hope is that these radio issues are fixable via updates and not simply "bad" hardware. The battery I can live with, but I can't live without a proper communications device.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post
    I will try that too. I snagged my wife's replacement Razr Maxx and am using it today. The signal issues are totally non-existent with this one (compared to my GN). I'm going to use the Maxx for a day or so to make sure the issue is not independent of my GN. In the meantime, I will try another ROM. My real hope is that these radio issues are fixable via updates and not simply "bad" hardware. The battery I can live with, but I can't live without a proper communications device.
    FWIW, with the 4.0.2 radios I get no 4G signal at all in my apartment/bunker. With the leaked radios, I never use WiFi anymore in the apartment. Just sayin'.

This is my second but I botched the radio on the first one myself so I really can't blame the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Your poll is misleading. The question is how many have you gone through and the lowest number is 1. So if you pick one it implies you have gone through one meaning you are one your 2nd one. The lowest number should be 0 or the question should be asked different.

I'm still one my first I got on the launch date.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

I figured it was inclusive lol

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

Quote Originally Posted by NotJustAPhone View Post
    On my original, which I picked up during the week it launched.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Yup on my original from launch too!!

still on my first, no issues at all with it
    ~Matt
    Nexus 4 & Nook HD+ and lots of other goodies
    www.twitter.com/howarmat

ROM
    4.0.4 leak

Quote Originally Posted by elvisgp View Post
    Or it could be because u are running 4.04. Most people are still running stock 4.02 which is a lot buggier than 4.04.
    What I meant was that I haven't had any of the issues plenty of others have apparently had, with the radios, screen (though I do have some banding), calls, etc. even while I was running 4.0.2. So for that I count myself among the fortunate.
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus | Bugless Beast 4.1.1
    If you appreciate something I post, like it and/or give thanks!

ROM
    AOKP on Franco MS 3

Still on my first, bought the week after launch. No problems. Running the leaked 4.0.4.

I still on my first one since I got mine in January

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You should do a pole for this kind of question. The results would be more meaningful.

First was DOA

Looking at the poll, assuming 1, although a bit misleading as someone said above, means a persons 1st and only phone there is an overwhelming majority with little or no problems (enough that you would replace).

One could assume that the numerous threads about crappy phones come from the minority. And they are a vocal bunch.

Totally unscientific to be sure, yet the trend is there.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast