Has anyone had luck with swapping phones on Verizon?

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I've put up with the horrible signal for about as long as I can. I love everything else about this phone, but I typically average Cell Standby (time without a signal) over 50% of a charge on a daily basis. For some reason or another, this past week I have not only missed more calls (in my line of work this is a huge deal), dropped more calls, but now my outgoing and incoming text messages aren't being received at times. On a less important note, I can no longer send MMS messages, which is irking but not a game changer.

Anyhow, this has all been debated ad nauseam. My question is, has anyone had luck with Verizon letting them change their phone to something comparable? At this point, I'd gladly settle for a Razr Maxx since nothing else interesting is coming down the pipeline. What's the best way to approach it? Thanks in advance.

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
No, their advice is, as usual, factory reset and "it's a known problem". I did manage to get a spare battery and charger for almost nothing after telling the how much the phone signal sucked, but sadly, that does not improve the signal. I would have tried harder, except for the fact that of all things replacement Nexus' seem to be fixing, signal issue is almost never one according to the threads I see on this and other forums.

I was going to wait for the 4.05/04 update, but I've simply missed too many important phone calls and this phone has become a liability. My mind is made up, just wondering what way to approach Verizon and if anyone has had success.

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
My wife was able to get a new device out of them but it was only after three replacements for the same issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pimfram

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Call technical support, have them note your issues on the account. They'll probably tell you to format the phone, and if that doesn't help, to try a new SIM card. After those fail, there really shouldn't be a problem getting a new device. Basically, the folks in the Verizon stores are used to people being too stupid to operate their phones, so if you have proof that you're having problems, they tend to actually help.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I did all of the above.
Was told with an immenent update being released they will not swap to another manufacturer.
If I don't have the update by the 19th Verizon is calling me back to do a 3 way with Samsung :) and see what can be done.

Previously I was told the equilvalent was the Bionic.

Pretty sad that I can be in the middle of a baseball field, wife's iphone has full signal and mine has zero....while my dinc has 3 bars.....

I thought signal would get better but it has gotten worse.
I even went back to the stock rom.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I was told last night by a Verizon rep, since I am on Nexus #4 and #5 is in the mail, if I have problems they'll switch it for a Razr Maxx. I think you need to have X amount of device replacements before they do anything.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed a weak signal somewhat myself, although it's no worse than my old Charge or..shudder...Fascinate had. It really seems like Samsung phones just have really crappy signal reception. It seems like it's more hardware related than software. If it wasn't for the ease with which I can customize the GN I'd have tried for a different phone.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
This isn't a troll.

This thread just makes me glad I decided the way I did when I spent 30 minutes with the GNex and Rezound that night. A phone that can't get a signal would kill me.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
This isn't a troll.

This thread just makes me glad I decided the way I did when I spent 30 minutes with the GNex and Rezound that night. A phone that can't get a signal would kill me.

The thing is from the sounds of it he hasn't even gotten a replacement from Verizon. It very well could just be his phone.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
The thing is from the sounds of it he hasn't even gotten a replacement from Verizon. It very well could just be his phone.

Hopefully, the replacement will be better.
I just remember the VZW rep selling the hell out of the GNex. It took a while & a mention of comments on this forum before she sheepishly admitted there were things that needed fixing.

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

As I said, I think with many phone issues (screen, sound, etc) that a replacement will, in fact, fix most issues. The fact that the signal issue is present in enough phones to litter these forums with posts about it, many of whom have replaced their handsets several times with no improvement, leads me to believe that it's just an issue with the overall hardware and not something that can be fixed with a software update (which may not come for several more months) or a phone replacement, I'm already 1/4 through my contract). I hope you are right, but the reality is I'm not going to play the shell game and hope swap out phones constantly hoping to find one that works well enough to use as a phone. I guess I will call Verizon tonight and see what my options are.

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Understandable. Whatever happens don't let the stick you with a half assed phone talking about wait for a software update because that's complete and total bs.

raisinbrannon

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
They replaced mine with a Razr Maxx. I couldn't stand the Maxx and sent it back, keeping the Nexus for now. Offered me any "4G" phone, supplying batteries and other accessories was up to me, though. I would have chose the Rezound over the Maxx, but didn't see it as much of an upgrade over my Thunderbolt. (got rid of that for the Nexus on launch).

My Nexus has issues with keeping the call connected for more than 15-20 minutes. 75% will drop within this time if they don't drop within the first 2 minutes of the call.
I suppose they have a tool to see where I've dropped so many calls with it.
That's with running stock 4.0.2, just rooted.
Flashed 4.0.4 and radios.. the only thing that's changed on mine is the amount of bars, not actual strength or call drops.
Signal and data strength is weak on mine, but... I can live with that.

I love everything about the phone, just wish it worked as a phone :D

Oh well, beggars can't be choosers, I guess.
:cool:

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I was gonna call vzw to complain about signal issues as well but after having to replace 3+ devices. Its a waste of time considering all that was already said. Its a hardware problem. Not software. On top of that, there isn't anything else on Verizon that I would want to swap for. The maxx is nice but I know I'd miss everything about my nexus... other than signal.

Dropped from LiquidNexus via Tapatalk2

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
yeah but what good is a phone if a call can't be placed....that is my concern...
I love the device, the soft keys, nfc, the design, etc, but if it can't make a call in certain areas, what good is it? To me it becomes an expensive psp or nintendo ds.

panerai7

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
They replaced mine with a Razr Maxx. I couldn't stand the Maxx and sent it back, keeping the Nexus for now. Offered me any "4G" phone, supplying batteries and other acce
:cool:

Interesting, you sent back Maxx but you're willing to put up with half-ass working GN

Last edited:

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Back in the day I had a bb storm. Replaced three and called into tech support each time. My suggestion is to get past their first tier of tech support. They just tell you to reset, blah, blah.

Push for a newer equivalent replacement and don't let them take your future upgrade.

raisinbrannon

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, you sent back Maxx but you're willing to put up with half-ass working GN

Call me crazy. I love my GN, everything except the radios. There isn't anything currently on the Verizon line up that I feel is comparable that I would be as comfortable with.

Most people I call have gotten used to it and I can call right back.

Not to happy about that, but I would be more unhappy with a lesser device.