Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lakaw
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts

Default Verizon Messaging for Group Text

Saw that the Verizon Messaging app was updated for ICS in a group messaging thread here so I decided to install it and give it a try.

This definitely works for group text. I sent out a group text to some friends with ICS and iPhones. Replies from ICS phones came back in that person's individual thread (as expected since they do not have a reply all button); replies from people with iPhones were retained in the group message thread (as expected). The app has some customization for bubble and background colors, which worked fine. But it is supposed to allow customized notification LED colors, which I could not see.

One negative aspect I've noticed so far is that once installed; only Verizon Messaging notifications show up in the notification bar. If you disable the Verizon Messaging notifications while keeping the ICS notification on, no notifications at all come up in the notification bar. Even after a reboot. This is a deal breaker for me, so I will probably un-install and hope for an ICS update. I donít want to use a third party for functionality that should be built into the native app.

Another thing I did notice was after installing this app, the ICS messaging app structures the group messages properly. Of course it just doesn't have a reply all button, but that indicates to me that it wouldn't take much to the fix the ICS messaging app to implement group text.
    willlayb likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Verizon Messaging for Group Text

Might want to check your settings my stock sms notifications still appear. I have been using vz messages for group texts since January.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts

Checked and double checked and rebooted. Still no go for me. Are you running Verizon Messaging ver 2.3.41? I'd keep the app if I could get stock notifications back.

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the two styles of notification other than the icon change? If that's your only major issue with app, I don't think that's a reason to uninstall the app for stock.

ROM
    Stock

The notification looks different but other then that nothing. I use the vz messages notification and it works just finefor me.

I used the vz messaging app for group mms but always hated it. Handcent implemented it but I always got double SMS and I hated the UI on it especially whej using emoji. I've always loved gosms and today it got an update to support this feature. You just have to enable it in setting but I'll report back if I end up using it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Need to switch to the new version of Handcent. v.4 Now supports Group Messaging and threads as well as keeping the group message in a single thread instead of by individual.

Grab it here:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeigaGen View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the two styles of notification other than the icon change? If that's your only major issue with app, I don't think that's a reason to uninstall the app for stock.
    The fact that I still have to go into Verizon Messaging in order to clear the notification is what bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by GPFboyJS View Post
    Need to switch to the new version of Handcent. v.4 Now supports Group Messaging and threads as well as keeping the group message in a single thread instead of by individual.

Grab it here:
    I have the latest handscent, but group escapes me, especially the thread options. Could you give us a headsup as to where the settings for this feature is? Thanks