WTH is Verizon up to?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well obviously we dont agree,,, vzw already turns big profit.
Just wait til they discontinue all those grandfathered into the unlimited data package as well.Cuz its gunno happen sometime too.lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2.0.2

Yes, it will happen at some point. Guess what, I'll continue to purchase my phones outright rather than being forced into a 2 year commitment.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Irrational? Don't know about that, sure some may. You probably see the crap that goes down in Verizon's stores. Let's just say everyone doesn't walk away a happy camper. I always do, and Verizon treats me well, they always have.

Nothing wrong with presented information, just do your own research and arm yourself with facts.

Here are the facts:

Verizon has a new $30 fee for upgrades. There is no way to get out of the fee, so people should quit complaining and move on. If you feel that strongly about it, leave Verizon.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Complain to Verizon, don't leave with your tail between your legs. Consumers have power, remember the $2.00 charge for CC payments? People power....that's what stopped that. I just think it is sad when consumers get complacent.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Complain to Verizon, don't leave with your tail between your legs. Consumers have power, remember the $2.00 charge for CC payments? People power....that's what stopped that. I just think it is sad when consumers get complacent.

By all means if you feel that strongly about it, let Verizon know. But I wouldn't say it's necessarily about complacency. It's more so about benefit to cost ratio which varies per person. For me, in the bigger picture this fee isn't something that warrants getting all worked up about. I don't necessarily agree with or like the fee, but I can understand the reasons for it despite their lame attempt at justifying it. In the end, it's basically just upping the cost of a subsidized phone $30.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Except they're not getting rid of it. You can whine to them until you're blue in the face, but the upgrade fee isn't going anywhere.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Ehhh I think its a slap in the face but we all will pay it with unlimited data so im not gonna complain. Well unless you have a bunch of lines and threaten to take them all with you then they probably will work something out. Once they get rid of my unlimited data which I know they probably will soon. Then I'll probably go elsewhere. But I'm not giving up my plan for something like this fee..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Ehhh I think its a slap in the face but we all will pay it with unlimited data so im not gonna complain. Well unless you have a bunch of lines and threaten to take them all with you then they probably will work something out. Once they get rid of my unlimited data which I know they probably will soon. Then I'll probably go elsewhere. But I'm not giving up my plan for something like this fee..

I agree. This fee is small fries compared to that. The only reason I will stay with Verizon, even with the One X coming to AT&T, is the unlimited data. Once thats gone, or we start getting leaks about it ending, I will go elsewhere.

chynkster

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
The only way to stand up to their bull fees is to cut them off completely and go prepaid. Consider straight talk (att) or page plus (Verizon)

HP Touchpad - CM9

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree. This fee is small fries compared to that. The only reason I will stay with Verizon, even with the One X coming to AT&T, is the unlimited data. Once thats gone, or we start getting leaks about it ending, I will go elsewhere.

And those grandfathered in vzw's unlimited data will find its gunno end.
Thats why I mentioned that earlier,thats gunno be the next thing to go I think.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2.0.2

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Can we still complain about the complainers? :)

Ha ha! Funny.

For the masses.

Fact is cost ratio is a constant....it is needed to run a profitable business. All these armchair economist trying to explain and Justify Verizon's move and why it benefits share holders without accounting for customer satisfaction are spilling only two thirds of the equation.

Fact is Jerry wrote a good article on the matter, but nothing says you have to accept the fee. You can vote with your wallet, go elsewhere, when you upgrade, let Verizon know that the fee isn't appreciated. I don't see what's wrong with people wanting an explanation, people not wanting said services, and I also see why people like the fees (kinda like buying a premium car, not much is said concerning price because the product is desired.)

It comes down to dollars and sense...do what makes sense, I will pay the fees because I like my service, and until the fees outweigh the services I get, I will pay. I don't have to be happy about it and sing marry poppin's, but none the less, being a consumer and having choice is nice.

As far as investment strategies....woah folks, invest with more care than lies hearin.

kalexan9

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
And that is what's happening now. Just look at some of the comments in this thread: 'Oh well, it's just $30'....'Verizon is taking a huge loss, they need to do this'.... 'Stop whining'.... 'If you don't like it go somewhere else'....

When consumers get complacent, it gives big business free reign to charge more without doing anything. This isn't a small incremental fee, IT'S $30.00! Next will come mandatory data caps, than they will re-jigger the pricing structure to their benefit, then the subsidized price for the phone will magically increase again, then another post-post 9/11 fee.... WHEN DOES IT STOP???? Answer: Never. As long as we continue to take the casual, capitulating "bend over and take it" armchair stockholder approach.

Last edited:

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Verizon could care less about how much people piss and moan as long as they keep their service.
At this point I would guess that they feel the fee will not hurt them or they wouldn't do it.
Like it or not they are a business and will make as much money off the consumer as possible.
In my area Verizon offers the best service period, nobody else has coverage near as good. Many businesses want to charge more for less, Verizon is charging for the best. Problem is they know they have is over a barrel and take advantage of that fact.
Do I like or agree with this new fee? NO, I don't, but what an I going to do? Cancel with Verizon and pay a 36 dollar upgrade fee to a company with inferior service. Sure sounds good let's cut off the nose to spite the face.
Hopefully this fee will be reconsidered and never implemented, but if so I fear Verizon will just think of a new way to gouge us a little more, because they know they offer the best coverage available.
Until another phone company steps up with coverage as good as Verizon's and causes some competition I fear we are in for alot more nickel and dime bs.

Last edited: