Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By dmmarck
  • 1 Post By creccaj1
  • 1 Post By pauldroidr2d2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My Departure and Quick Return to the Nexus

I got my Galaxy Nexus on release day I was pumped about the device. I loved the stock vanilla ICS and I did not do much to it (didn't unlock the bootloader or root). I had the unique opportunity to use a Droid RAZR MAXX since my dad got that from his corporate upgrade but he is stuck in the old school and loves his Blackberry with a hard keyboard. So naturally he gave me his MAXX. I figured what the hell I will give this a shot. While I can't praise the batter life of the MAXX enough, it couldn't out weight the negatives for me.

While I was getting around 48 hours of battery life on the MAXX the screen quality, downgrade to Gingerbread, and the "laggy" Motoblur caused me to hate the phone and go back to my Galaxy Nexus. While the screen on the Galaxy Nexus looks a little "washed out" with the grey bars on low back light I couldn't stand the MAXX screen. There where black "splotches" EVERYWHERE. When you had a black screen up they where so noticeable that it was almost a joke that Motorola would release that. Whenever I watched Netflix, YouTube, or played some games they popped right out, it was just... wrong.

So before I went back to the Galaxy Nexus I unlocked my bootloader, rooted my phone and now I am ready to go. Just put my number back on the Nexus and I couldn't be happier. It is a much snappier phone, and I have to say the thing that I missed the most was stock ICS. Here is an idea of how good it is... my girlfriend who had an iPhone 4 for the longest time actually switched to this phone because she loved ICS and the screen! Right now I can't deny that this is an amazing device. While it has a quarks, it still is a great phone and it feels good to be "home".
    Thanked by 4:

Default Re: My Departure and Quick Return to the Nexus

There are threads about the Nexus having the very same black screen blotches.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    There are threads about the Nexus having the very same black screen blotches.
    Strange but I saw the same imperfections on all 4 of GNs.
    And the whites were off much more than on Maxx
    Oh well

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I got the nexus on day one as well and the data and terrible signal and needing a minimum of two fully charged batteries to even consider making a full day drove me to find other options. I called Verizon and they offered me $100 off any 4g phone I wanted if I restarted my contract so I got the maxx and love it. The signal destroys my nexus. Full bars in the basements of my school where my nexus would be searching for service! I got to keep the nexus though and will be waiting for the ota to come, which at this point I have lost all loyalty to the nexus line for the update not being available to our version yet but I digress. I have not had a single instance of lag on the maxx or the nexus really and each have their pro's. I feel I have the best of both worlds because I can just swap the sim to which ever phone suits my needs at the time. I will not be switching back to the nexus until an update however. I too have had the black dots but it is a byproduct of amoled that is hit or miss on whether a phone has them or not.
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,118 Global Posts

i departed from the nexus twice...one when it launched, and then again 2 months later...i'm itching to go back again...haha
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

At first I loved the idea about having a phone that could last a full 2 days before I had to think about charging. But then after that novelty wore off, all the negatives started to show up. Maybe I just got a very bad screen on my MAXX but the ENTIRE border of the screen has black splotch lines and all over the screen there are the same black splotches. Motoblur also killed the experience slightly for me. I lagged here and there when transitioning between screens or going into apps.

Yes I will agree that the signal level is better on my MAXX but I haven't noticed much difference in call quality. I am in areas where I mostly can get WiFi (Home and Work both have good WiFi signals) and everywhere else I go has pretty good 3G signal. Myself, I am perfectly happy with a phone that lasts long enough until I get home and put in on the charger and the Galaxy Nexus fits that for me. On a usual day when I am at work from 8am until 3:30, come home and study for my CPA exam for 2-3 hours, go out for dinner then come home and go to bed around 12-12:30 I am at 20-30% charge. Granted, most of my usage is from texting, phone calls, web browsing, using a couple of news/sports apps, and rarely play a game while waiting.

I just found myself wanting to go back to the nexus for so many reasons, but the biggest one was that I missed the vanilla ICS. Yes we are getting boned about the updates but you can't put all of the blame on Google. Even though this is a Google phone and we should be getting updates first Verizon does control when they will be put out. With my experience in the past, Verizon usually (I say usually not always) holds up the update process.

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

is the screen that bad on the maxx? I have the GN now and love it, but I'm not happy with the battery life.
    so anyone have examples of the screen of the maxx?
    second, if root/unlocking the maxx is available than perhaps there are some nice non-motoblur roms available?
    Wouldn't plain gingerbread be better than motoblur?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

For me the screen was horrible when looking at a black screen. For example, if you watch Netflix or YouTube and you come to a part that is darker you will probably notice black splotches all over. At least that's what mine looked like. I didn't root mine since I only had it for a short time but I did have Launcher Pro on and that was an improvement but there was still lag when leaving or going into an app at times. It was very weird to experience this considering the hardware it's got under the hood. Here is my honest recommendation... If you battery life is most important to you go with the MAXX and you can deal with some of the issues. If battery life isn't a full priority then stick with the Nexus for now until the next generation devices come out.

I didn't root so I couldn't give you an idea about roms but over on rootzwiki they had a couple different roms that looked pretty good. That would be something you should ask down in the MAXX forums.

Stock Blur vs. Stock ICS, of course ICS is better.
    With Maxx you need to use one of launchers, ADW or GO Launcher or Zeam. Then it's on par with ICS for the most part. Even on GN I was going between Apex and Nova for customization like hiding app labels on the home screen, customizing the dock, and fitting more icons on the home screen.
    Right now I'm running ADW with ICS theme and it's very fast with no stutter nor delay.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,600 Global Posts

Welcome back.

I also had the regular Razr and the Maxx. While they were good phones, I always came back to the Nexus. (my second Nexus)

Motoblur is missing quite a few things. Picasa isn't integrated in the Gallery app like on stock android for example. This is huge because I format a lot when I flash roms, and I don't have to worry about having all my pics with me in the cloud.

I was also stocked that the Razr was supposed to get ICS last week. Of course that didn't happen.
    By now I NEED Chrome beta. That browser is so amazing.

Rumors are there is going to be a Razr HD with ICS. When that comes out I may swich again!
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Welcome back!

I agree with you, for the most part, regarding the RAZR. I've been through my fair share of the devices, and while the RAZR/MAXX are amazing phones in their own right, they're not this. Their screen technology just isn't up to snuff (the resolution alone is just too small for a phone that big IMHO, and you can really see the differences side by side, like night and day; further, the PPI is atrocious). Gingerbread isn't up to snuff--anymore. The locked bootloader--which may finally have a legit workaround--is a massive no-no for me.

But past that? Amazing, amazing device. The radios, build quality, etc., all absolutely outstanding features. If you give the Nexus that build quality, camera, radio, battery? Best phone evar, dawg. If you give the MAXX a better screen, a better shape (IMO--I think it looks like a coffin), an easier to unlock bootloader, ICS, and a bit better processor (remember--the processor shines now b/c of GB and an easier/lesser screen to power, not b/c of actual power)...watch out.

Just my 2 cents.

D
    creccaj1 and quintilis like this.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.09

I have been trying to decide whether to upgrade to Maxx or GN.....why is it that the Rezound is never in any of these converstations? Sorry to hijack
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by kylep23 View Post
    I have been trying to decide whether to upgrade to Maxx or GN.....why is it that the Rezound is never in any of these converstations? Sorry to hijack
    Its release date did it no favors IMO.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Welcome back!

I agree with you, for the most part, regarding the RAZR. I've been through my fair share of the devices, and while the RAZR/MAXX are amazing phones in their own right, they're not this. Their screen technology just isn't up to snuff (the resolution alone is just too small for a phone that big IMHO, and you can really see the differences side by side, like night and day; further, the PPI is atrocious). Gingerbread isn't up to snuff--anymore. The locked bootloader--which may finally have a legit workaround--is a massive no-no for me.

But past that? Amazing, amazing device. The radios, build quality, etc., all absolutely outstanding features. If you give the Nexus that build quality, camera, radio, battery? Best phone evar, dawg. If you give the MAXX a better screen, a better shape (IMO--I think it looks like a coffin), an easier to unlock bootloader, ICS, and a bit better processor (remember--the processor shines now b/c of GB and an easier/lesser screen to power, not b/c of actual power)...watch out.

Just my 2 cents.

D
    I am on board with you 100% about the build quality and radios. I think in this business Motorola has some of the best build qualities and radio tech out there. While the screen was bright, it did look like the resolution was a little too small. You could see most of the pixels on the screen in certain backgrounds and the times where you didn't, I saw the black splotches!

I think you bring up a fantastic point about the CPU and how ICS (with Motoblur on top) will possibly put a strain on the performance. If Motorola put stock ICS on the device it would probably work fine (I say fine not perfect :P) but when you throw on top the Motoblur and everything else they throw at the phone I think there will be a potential problem.

When I switched to the MAXX I said to myself, how bad can going back to GB be? Well the first couple days it was fine but then I started to miss all the little features of ICS. I love the ability to pull down the notification bar while the screen is locked, the task switching/ending, and I know this is so small but to me it just adds the cherry on top (of Ice Cream ) having a settings button in the notifications bar. Simple things like that made me come back to the phone and will keep ICS one of the best mobile operating systems that I have used.
    dmmarck likes this.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by panerai7 View Post
    Stock Blur vs. Stock ICS, of course ICS is better.
    With Maxx you need to use one of launchers, ADW or GO Launcher or Zeam. Then it's on par with ICS for the most part. Even on GN I was going between Apex and Nova for customization like hiding app labels on the home screen, customizing the dock, and fitting more icons on the home screen.
    Right now I'm running ADW with ICS theme and it's very fast with no stutter nor delay.
    I would have to disagree, on par with the Nexus would mean that they bloated the hell out of the Nexus as they have done with the Maxx.

Another thing that I can do with my Nexus that cannot be done on any phone that does not have ICS is use Chrome for the browser.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I did miss Chrome as well. Don't think that I could go back to using the stock browser and the stock browser on the MAXX was even worse than the stock on ICS.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    I did miss Chrome as well. Don't think that I could go back to using the stock browser and the stock browser on the MAXX was even worse than the stock on ICS.
    As far as stock browsers go, I think the stock browser on ICS is not so bad. But, Chrome is far better.
    dmmarck likes this.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    As far as stock browsers go, I think the stock browser on ICS is not so bad. But, Chrome is far better.
    Quoted for truth and agreement.

I have a PS Vita ...and it has the splotches. And it's worse than the ones on my RAZR. And it looks like my Vita doesnt have pentile.

It's an amoled thing. Like it's been mentioned...it's on other phones too, like the g nex. For what it's worth..it either wasn't on my g nex or it wasn't as bad. It's just a crap shoot if you have them or not, or have them bad or not.

I also blame it on the ppl building these phones. The workers, seeing how it's different from phone to phone.

About Picasa...its associated with the gallery on the RAZR, probably not by default tho. You have to add it in Settings/Quick upload for pics or videos.
    Thanked by:
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    I have a PS Vita ...and it has the splotches. And it's worse than the ones on my RAZR. And it looks like my Vita doesnt have pentile.

It's an amoled thing. Like it's been mentioned...it's on other phones too, like the g nex. For what it's worth..it either wasn't on my g nex or it wasn't as bad. It's just a crap shoot if you have them or not, or have them bad or not.

I also blame it on the ppl building these phones. The workers, seeing how it's different from phone to phone.

About Picasa...its associated with the gallery on the RAZR, probably not by default tho. You have to add it in Settings/Quick upload for pics or videos.
    Fair enough. If it is the amoled screen I can accept that, I guess I just got lucky with my Nexus since I don't have any real issues with the screen. It wasn't only the screen though, it was a combination of all of the factors and I may still go back to the Maxx but I want to wait until it gets ICS.

ROM
    AOKP JB Build 3

FWIW, I was a second away from buying the Rezound but ultimately went with the GN and couldn't be happier with my choice.

I also tend to believe that all the gripes about the GN are more the exception than the rule.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by habanophile View Post
    FWIW, I was a second away from buying the Rezound but ultimately went with the GN and couldn't be happier with my choice.

I also tend to believe that all the gripes about the GN are more the exception than the rule.
    I think you are right about that. Just look at the results from each of the polls that have been conducted here asking people about their satisfaction of the device.