Radio Signal Sucks!

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Should I get a new SIM when the new phone comes? Does that really make any difference?

Made absolutely no difference on my phone but both Verizon tech support and the Verizon corporate store pushed me to come in and stand in line for an hour to get a new SIM. Acted the same exact way in the store with the new SIM as it was before and the guy says "We've had a lot of trouble with those phones".

All I could say was, "no kidding?".

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
LBTRS, do you still have your Nexus? Just saw it in the signature.
I have obscenely high hopes that the replacement will do the trick because it COULD be such a nice phone. Anyway, just wondering if you are hanging on to yours because it is working better or no? I noticed that if you register your GN on Samsung, they will double your warranty to two years.
I'll post first thing on Monday after I get the new one...

slayer91790

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I have obscenely high hopes that the replacement will do the trick because it COULD be such a nice phone. Anyway, just wondering if you are hanging on to yours because it is working better or no? I noticed that if you register your GN on Samsung, they will double your warranty to two years.

What was wrong with the first GN?

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site

Yes, I still have mine. It is sitting in my desk drawer waiting for a promised, yet long overdue update, that will hopefully fix the phone and make it a usable device. I require my cell phone to make a living so after the update didn't show up in "late January" as Verizon level 2 tech support promised me I had to go buy a RAZR MAXX so I would have a working cell phone. I wanted to return the device after the second SIM and second phone operated the same way but tech support told me these were known issues and the update would be out late January so I stuck with it and in February finally had to go get a better phone.

Good luck with your replacement, I hope you have better luck then I have with the GN.

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
OK, just got the replacement. Still on old ROM and radios, but that is OK.
Unlocked it and been running a bit on 4G without drops, but I am only sitting at my kitchen table. Time will tell on this. I may go for Redemption ROM or CM9 + radios again, but I may give it just a bit on stock to see how it goes.

slayer91790

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The rom that dmmarck suggested is working alright. I noticed that if I lose 100% of my signal like the subway and come back out, I have reboot my phone to get my signal back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The rom that dmmarck suggested is working alright. I noticed that if I lose 100% of my signal like the subway and come back out, I have reboot my phone to get my signal back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yeah that forces the issue. One of these days I'm going to do a legit timing of everything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
OK, just got the replacement. Still on old ROM and radios, but that is OK.
Unlocked it and been running a bit on 4G without drops, but I am only sitting at my kitchen table. Time will tell on this. I may go for Redemption ROM or CM9 + radios again, but I may give it just a bit on stock to see how it goes.

Phone works well, but the display is gnarley faded out....
So... Here's the skinny. For some reason Amazon Wireless sent me TWO replacement Nexus'...!
I chose one and the display was bad.... So, I busted open box number two and it is much better. Side by side, number one is washed out, grayish and there is banding. #2 looks so much better and the signal seems OK still.. So, I'm going with #2 for now!

Edit: Been using it a lot the last few hours and so far it has been solid, and I am still on stock (rooted, but on stock).

Last edited:
Reactions: oxymoron

brownph99

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
So off to the side, I just flashed the FA02 radios, but otherwise unrooted, stock 4.0.2. I'm still getting drops while using 4g, although it picks the signal back up a lot faster than before, where my 3g signal never seems to have an issue (even before flashing the radios). Would rooting make any difference at this point?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So off to the side, I just flashed the FA02 radios, but otherwise unrooted, stock 4.0.2. I'm still getting drops while using 4g, although it picks the signal back up a lot faster than before, where my 3g signal never seems to have an issue (even before flashing the radios). Would rooting make any difference at this point?

Other than the general benefits you get from rooting? Probably not IMO.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I have the same issue after flashing FA02 radios with the 4.04 leaked Verizon update. I get signal losses at some of the most random moments. Whatever the GSM version got recently to fix their signal issue, I am assuming it will fix the CDMA one as well. Not sure since they're totally different signals.

2012-04-25132823.png

brownph99

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue after flashing FA02 radios with the 4.04 leaked Verizon update. I get signal losses at some of the most random moments. Whatever the GSM version got recently to fix their signal issue, I am assuming it will fix the CDMA one as well. Not sure since they're totally different signals.

I was afraid of that. So it's a waiting game until whatever Verizon's working on for 4.0.5. I'd almost be tempted to try to find a way to dig into the radio code at some point, but I suspect that's a larger undertaking than I have time for.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I was afraid of that. So it's a waiting game until whatever Verizon's working on for 4.0.5. I'd almost be tempted to try to find a way to dig into the radio code at some point, but I suspect that's a larger undertaking than I have time for.

Despite that issue, this leak is a lot better than 4.0.2. That's for sure. So I would still recommend it. I plan on doing a full stock recovery when the official OTA is released so that I can accept the update.

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Just a kinda funny note: I was in the Verizon store today (still stock 4.0.2 but FA02 radio) and I lost signal. The Verizon rep didn't know what to tell me... LOL

slayer91790

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
What's the best 3G/LTE signal app with, perhaps, a widget to monitor connectivity?

I would want to know the same because I really hate my phones radio. I take buses and trains around Los Angeles and it it really ticks me off looking at my signal. The hand off is terrible which if I go under ground and come back up, I have to wait like 10 mins to get my 4g back.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

anon(701772)

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I would want to know the same because I really hate my phones radio. I take buses and trains around Los Angeles and it it really ticks me off looking at my signal. The hand off is terrible which if I go under ground and come back up, I have to wait like 10 mins to get my 4g back.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

I did some digging last night and settled on Open Signal Maps. But I noticed some issues with the mapping and handoff. For starters, the towers are not exactly right on the maps, but I can live with that.

The big issue was it showed me connected to a 3G tower on the map (and I was), but as I kept driving along my phones signal changed to 4G/LTE on the same tower! If that's the case why wasn't I 4G/LTE when I drove right in front of the tower? I wondered what the refresh rate is for the Open Signal Maps. Still, its pretty nice app for free.

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have been having signal problems as of late too. I had three bars of 4G when I got into class. It dropped to two bars about ten minutes after that. And now, I'm sitting on 4 bars of 3G. Not sure why this would happen. I'm in the same spot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc