Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Default Re: Didn't want to be the one, but Sprint GN has 4.0.4....

i like turtles
    Thanked by 4:

Lack of transparency from Verizon and Google can be a frustrating thing. Some official word on the update's progress (mind you, not asking for a ETA) may help to cool off some of this heat.

I'm personally happy with rooting and unlocking my device as it simply is the quickest way to get the latest, but I understand that it's not for everyone.
    Thanked by 2:

so as a developer device...how many of you actually make apps? i don't think you get to be called a developer just because you root and flash roms
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by flybass View Post
    so as a developer device...how many of you actually make apps? i don't think you get to be called a developer just because you root and flash roms
    That's irrelevant . I would if I could, had time, etc. etc., yada yada.

My only point is that it having to be one thing or the other--developer or just consumer--ignores the actual stuff built into the device.

Quote Originally Posted by dimsdale View Post
    If you buy a SGN and then fail to root it and install a custom ROM (a la Cyanogen), you need to sell your SGN and get an iPhone 4S.
    Even if you want to run straight Google, there is the craiggomez rom which will get you 4.0.4, the new radios, and even the real google kernel. See [ROM]IMM30B 4.0.4 Stock,rooted,deodexed,zipaligned,busybox,insecure boot + mods zips - xda-developers
    No more whining about this.
    Seriously.
    You are a great example of what is wrong with the Android community.
    Slink
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Thanked by 6:
    jshaffer75 and yapkuen like this.
    Banned

Default Re: I didn't want to be the one that did this but...

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    They call it that because that's what it is.
    Can you show us where Verizon says that?

DIDN'T THINK SO
    Thanked by 2:

Crazy

Kanged out Google phone +
    Franco's Magic
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    583 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: I didn't want to be the one that did this but...

Quote Originally Posted by dimsdale View Post
    If you buy a SGN and then fail to root it and install a custom ROM (a la Cyanogen), you need to sell your SGN and get an iPhone 4S.
    Even if you want to run straight Google, there is the craiggomez rom which will get you 4.0.4, the new radios, and even the real google kernel. See [ROM]IMM30B 4.0.4 Stock,rooted,deodexed,zipaligned,busybox,insecure boot + mods zips - xda-developers
    No more whining about this.
    Seriously.
    If I don't want to flash custom ROMs, I should trade my Galaxy Nexus for an iPhone? What dumb logic is this? EMBF
    Banned

If you cared so much about 4.0.4, its been available since February and you do not need to root to install it. You only have to blame yourselves.
    Thanked by:

We will always have those spewing the developer phone position that you should load a ROM or have no right to complain. I suppose it makes them feel superior in some fashion or other. But to the topic of Sprint GNEX users getting 4.04 before us, how many of them will have 4G LTE service? Is that crickets I hear?
    Thanked by:
    Channan likes this.

That's irrelevant . I would if I could, had time, etc. etc., yada yada.

My only point is that it having to be one thing or the other--developer or just consumer--ignores the actual stuff built into the device.

I guess all I wanted to stress is how funny it is to hear all of these people who are not developers defending their purchases. Perhaps the right way to describe the gnex is a consumer phone with developer options. the marketing has not been buy this phone only if you are a developer...

I rooted and played the custom rom game on my Droid X before upgrading to the nexus. Honestly, I bought the phone because after my Dx I wanted stock android. The stock experience is supposedly more bug-free. this is generally true in comparing my gnex to my droid x. However, I can't get over the signal issues. We need new radios from Verizon (roms don't have them and the leaked radios have mixed reviews on rootzwiki).

--as a side note I know that my device isn't defective. In Iowa my reception was perfect.

Also, after studying more computer science I am very skeptical of the roms. A lot of users talk about the devs as if they've found the secret to make android fluid. All of the scripts which make the phone "faster" are debatable. I would cite adrenyline talking about droidtheory as evidence.

Maybe I should flash stock 4.0.4.
    Banned

Stunning logic, did you get that argument style from debate team or from the school of 13 year old MySpace users?

Click to view quoted image

Developer options for a phone not intended to be used by developers, only grandmothers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    That was a nice waste of a post...

Still haven't found a single instance of Verizon advertising or selling this as a "developer phone"?

Whether or not google has included developer options in their OS, which we all know it has, does NOT mean it was sold by Verizon as a "developer phone"

This phone was sold by Verizon as the next best/greatest handset plain and simple. They would lose a lot of sales if they marketed it as a Developer phone. Most people bought it exactly as that... a phone.

AND THEY EXPECT IT TO ACT LIKE ONE.
    Thanked by 2:
    ShinyTop likes this.
    It's been real...

Quote Originally Posted by veloslave View Post
    This phone was sold by Verizon as the next best/greatest handset plain and simple.
    Actually, the Droid Razr was marketed by VZW as the next best/greatest. Google did the majority of marketing for the Nexus, as they always do for Nexii.

*customized tapatalk signature*
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,877 Global Posts

This is the beauty of the Nexus line. If you wanted to, you could upgrade before an official update is pushed.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The only people who think of phones in terms of development are geeks. The average user could care less; wouldn't even know about this sort of stuff.

You all are fighting over a phone! And at the end of the day, it's still a phone.

Sent from my rooted WHITE E4GT via TapaTalk

Lets try and get things back on topic here. Lets also try and keep good forum etiquette and discuss things in proper manor as we all know how to do

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Thanks everyone.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central
    Thanked by 5:
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Lets try and get things back on topic here. Lets also try and keep good forum etiquette and discuss things in proper manor as we all know how to do

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Thanks everyone.
    I believe the point of this thread was to point out that the Sprint Nexus has 4.0.4. Then people chimed in saying it got 4.0.4 before the Verizon one... which technically isn't true. Its been available for Verizon branded Nexus before any other phone back in February. Its a build from Google, not something a sole developer or team put together. Just because Verizon either hasn't finished testing it or didn't approve it for some unknown reason (works great!) is besides the point since I'm pretty sure its been pointed out in the millions of "Where is my 4.0.4/5 update?"

For someone to think that you need to root or install a custom ROM or void your warranty to get it is ignorance.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Bottom line: Google develops the OS. Carriers have responsibility not only to their users, but to the FCC and their own policies regarding testing and such before releasing any software updates. Verizon isn't sitting on any update just for the fun of it and to make people squirm. It will be pushed when they determine it is ready. That's it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.04 IMM76K

OK as far as Sprint having the update first, must we go through this every time? You guys that defend Verizon, they are always,always the last ones to get updates on there phones. Verizon is the hold up and if Samsung has anything to do with the radio then there part of the reason as well.

Rooting and flashing roms sure it can be fun, every time I do the phone is buggier than before or the battery life is terrible. Or I have to wipe date or cache or all of a sudden my phone doesn't work and I have to flash a new rom. Not every one has time for that. So not a solution to the problems this phone has.

When I bought this phone it was me giving android one more shot, I said this time will be different its pure Android. I will get fast updates, I told my friends its the iPhone of Android. Man was I wrong. Google has messed up android beyond repair with this phone. The nexus line is now a joke. I have had five Android phones and I'm always waiting for updates. Google really needs to change the way they handle Android and carriers. [DELETED]. What good is 4g if I can't keep a signal? I am thinking hard about going to sprint. Not for this phone but because I hate Verizon so much.
    Last edited by Paul627g; 04-21-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Edited by Moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by trigun123478 View Post
    OK as far as Sprint having the update first, must we go through this every time? You guys that defend Verizon, they are always,always the last ones to get updates on there phones. Verizon is the hold up and if Samsung has anything to do with the radio then there part of the reason as well.

Rooting and flashing roms sure it can be fun, every time I do the phone is buggier than before or the battery life is terrible. Or I have to wipe date or cache or all of a sudden my phone doesn't work and I have to flash a new rom. Not every one has time for that. So not a solution to the problems this phone has.

When I bought this phone it was me giving android one more shot, I said this time will be different its pure Android. I will get fast updates, I told my friends its the iPhone of Android. Man was I wrong. Google has messed up android beyond repair with this phone. The nexus line is now a joke. I have had five Android phones and I'm always waiting for updates. Google really needs to change the way they handle Android and carriers. [DELETED]. What good is 4g if I can't keep a signal? I am thinking hard about going to sprint. Not for this phone but because I hate Verizon so much.
    The way I see it, an update is an update, whether it comes OTA or a ROM.
    There is no guarantee that an OTA update will fix any of the problems some Nexus owners are experiencing.
    Lots of people hated the OTA gingerbread update.

Before I installed Paradigm, I was concerned that an OTA update would give me problems that I didn't have.
    I never had signal issues, dropped calls, wifi bootloops, etc.

The only reason I installed a new ROM was to fix the JavaScript problem.
    Last edited by Paul627g; 04-21-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Edit by moderator, cleanup quoted post.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by wyseguy77 View Post
    Why does the Sprint Gnex have 4.0.4 and we don't? Could this have something to do with Verizon? Personally i think it's BS but who am I? I'm running 4.0.4 already but it's the principal that angers me. I feel Verizon is screwing the pooch.
    Does the Sprint version have LTE?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    I believe the point of this thread was to point out that the Sprint Nexus has 4.0.4. Then people chimed in saying it got 4.0.4 before the Verizon one... which technically isn't true. Its been available for Verizon branded Nexus before any other phone back in February. Its a build from Google, not something a sole developer or team put together. Just because Verizon either hasn't finished testing it or didn't approve it for some unknown reason (works great!) is besides the point since I'm pretty sure its been pointed out in the millions of "Where is my 4.0.4/5 update?"

For someone to think that you need to root or install a custom ROM or void your warranty to get it is ignorance.
    He knows that.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post

Some states have lte towers but not 100% yet I know Kansas City have sprint lte

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,602 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

As I posted a thread on this in sprint nexus. Sprint nexus isn't true asop device just like vzw nexus.
    Jean-Baptiste Queru 1 hour ago · Desktop · Public Sprint Galaxy Nexus: not supported in AOSP

I've been getting a few questions about AOSP support for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus.

The short answer is: the Sprint Galaxy Nexus is not supported in the Android Open Source Project.

The long answer: the release process for the Spring Galaxy Nexus is similar to that of the non-yakju variants of the GSM Galaxy Nexus (e.g. yakjuxw, yakjuux, yakjudv...), which makes that device similarly impossible to support in AOSP. There are no source files, no proprietary hardware-related binaries and no factory images available for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus. In addition, since it's a CDMA device, it would probably be limited by the usual CDMA licensing issues that have been affecting the other CDMA devices.

Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
    Thanked by:
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,602 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Yes but it shipped turned off
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post

Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast