Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree25Likes

ROM
    MMuzzy's Jelly Bean 4.2.1

All you people pissing and moaning about the lack of an update to "fix" your phones are going to be SORELY disappointed when it finally does drop and your phones are still jacked. This isn't a software issue people...its a hardware (your phone). If it was software, it would affect EVERY SINGLE GNex out there. It doesn't. If your phone has issues...its your phone. My phone doesn't have ANY of the issues that people complain about...nor does my wife's, and we are both running pure stock 4.0.2. I would venture a guess to say the majority of the owners of this phone don't have issues either.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...odds are that 4.0.4 or 4.0.5 or whatever update comes out, will not fix your issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

Default Re: Didn't want to be the one, but Sprint GN has 4.0.4....

Quote Originally Posted by slave2theaxe View Post
    All you people pissing and moaning about the lack of an update to "fix" your phones are going to be SORELY disappointed when it finally does drop and your phones are still jacked. This isn't a software issue people...its a hardware (your phone). If it was software, it would affect EVERY SINGLE GNex out there. It doesn't. If your phone has issues...its your phone. My phone doesn't have ANY of the issues that people complain about...nor does my wife's, and we are both running pure stock 4.0.2. I would venture a guess to say the majority of the owners of this phone don't have issues either.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...odds are that 4.0.4 or 4.0.5 or whatever update comes out, will not fix your issues.

While hardware is the most likely possibility, the PHONE being the problem isnt. In a thread I did way back I narrowed down one specific issue (mic cutouts) to a location-based problem, with 90% (9 out of ten) of the people claiming to have issues living in bigger cities with LTE towers.

Problems could just as well be caused by the towers this phone connects to, depending on the problem, and it is also likely that a software Radio update could fix issues like the one above. So while in a way I will agree with you, I am also gonna respectfully disagree.

PS: Its late, so if that sounds like a ramble just let it slide. im tired.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Poseign View Post
    While hardware is the most likely possibility, the PHONE being the problem isnt. In a thread I did way back I narrowed down one specific issue (mic cutouts) to a location-based problem, with 90% (9 out of ten) of the people claiming to have issues living in bigger cities with LTE towers.

Problems could just as well be caused by the towers this phone connects to, depending on the problem, and it is also likely that a software Radio update could fix issues like the one above. So while in a way I will agree with you, I am also gonna respectfully disagree.

what he said. i've complained about signal drop, but in a different location for two weeks my signal was rock solid. it is just ty radios for everyone and some are in good areas

ROM
    MMuzzy's Jelly Bean 4.2.1

I've used my phone in several different cities with widely varying LTE signal. From Florida which had no LTE, to Atlanta which was pretty strong, to home here in PHX which has differing strength depending on where in town you are...it runs from great to crappy. Today I'm typing this from down in Tucson. I have never had any of the issues people complain about in any of these places, yet other people I know with the GNex have... How can software be a problem in this case?

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious JellyBean 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by slave2theaxe View Post

Wonder how to narrow down the difference? There must be either batches that are bad, or poor quality control. Do we all have the same hardware versions, place of manufacture, etc? The fact that some are definitely good and some are definitely bad... There must be something common in both sides... Someone is going to have to go class-action against Samsung if there are so many phones out there that simply do not work. I know mine was definitely defective. My new one arrives Monday. I will report in with what I find........
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  

I'm sorry to see the turn that this thread has taken, but am glad to see that it is getting back on track. I meant for it simply to be a rant, not a boxing ring. I didn't mean to cry about not having an update (I'm using custom roms) I just want to point out the obvious (Sprint has 4.0.4 and Verizon doesn't) and how it kinda upsets me. On the bright side I've learned a thing or two from you guys so thanks.

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

Something funnier to think about, VZW techs think our phones get their updates from Samsung. They have no idea about their products at all.

during my initial setup I had to agree to receive updates from Google, and so maybe that's why the reps think updates come from Google. THE CDMA binaries come from Verizon...who probably send them to Google for inclusion in the build so Verizon and Sprint phones will never be running the exact same version.

Agree I think the network has a lot to do with many issues the phones have. It seems like every new lte phone has the same issues( to an extent) and it is more on verizon's end. They are constantly working to improve the towers and I know the bionic was worse than the nexus at first with data issues and radio problems and now after a few updates it is like a completely different phone. If the nexus was the only one with these problems I would say it's hardware but it is across the board with lte devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    Agree I think the network has a lot to do with many issues the phones have. It seems like every new lte phone has the same issues( to an extent) and it is more on verizon's end. They are constantly working to improve the towers and I know the bionic was worse than the nexus at first with data issues and radio problems and now after a few updates it is like a completely different phone. If the nexus was the only one with these problems I would say it's hardware but it is across the board with lte devices.
    Yeah this I disagree with this but you have to actually have another phone to see how bad it really is. My daughter's mom has a razr and she had 2bars of lte while my phone could not even pick up lte and only had 1 bar of 3g. Its definitely something specifically with this phone. Not sure if its software or hardware but Samsung is known to make crappy radios.

Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    Yeah this I disagree with this but you have to actually have another phone to see how bad it really is. My daughter's mom has a razr and she had 2bars of lte while my phone could not even pick up lte and only had 1 bar of 3g. Its definitely something specifically with this phone. Not sure if its software or hardware but Samsung is known to make crappy radios.

I had a thunderbolt and signal was pretty even between the two. I think 4g just isn't as strong signal wise as 3g was because it seems once you stick it on 3g only the signal is strong. Also I am in strong 4g area so it isn't like I am on the fringe or anything.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post

If it was something that was phone specific most everyone would be having the same experience.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

It may not really be just the radio itself. It could be the antenna. If the antenna itself is poorly made it wont have the ability to pick up the signal as good as the next one. Honestly though it could be any of the three or a combination of them between the antenna, radio and software. The odd thing about VZW LTE is the fact they are using a lower freq. With the signal generally being reported lower by most users it seems they arent putting out as much power with the LTE bands as they are with 3G. We technically should have better and stronger signal with LTE being broadcast at the same power as 3G
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    If it was something that was phone specific most everyone would be having the same experience.
    Yeah I can't speak for everyone but all of the nexus phones I have had just are not up to the rezound or razr as far as signal. Not that I don't like it its just not one of its strong points and that's probably why some are taking a big battery hit. If some people stay in one area they won't notice but travel a bit with someone with a razr or rezound then you will see its signal is just not as strong.

Quote Originally Posted by byrds8 View Post
    It may not really be just the radio itself. It could be the antenna. If the antenna itself is poorly made it wont have the ability to pick up the signal as good as the next one. Honestly though it could be any of the three or a combination of them between the antenna, radio and software. The odd thing about VZW LTE is the fact they are using a lower freq. With the signal generally being reported lower by most users it seems they arent putting out as much power with the LTE bands as they are with 3G. We technically should have better and stronger signal with LTE being broadcast at the same power as 3G
    I agree with everything you said.. Maybe its the antenna but I definitely believe its something with this phone. And as I said Samsung isn't the best when it comes to that too. The epic 4g touch on sprint also suffered from signal issues. What I really want is for HTC to make another nexus. I loved the nexus one and I like HTC phones. I'm just over sense. My personal opinion.

Banned

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

I've had the OG Droid for 2 years, then the Bionic for 3 months and now the GN.

The GN is by far the best phone I've had. And after going through all of the update soap opera for years I simply dont care anymore as long as the phone works.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123