Didn't want to be the one, but Sprint GN has 4.0.4....

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Lets try and get things back on topic here. Lets also try and keep good forum etiquette and discuss things in proper manor as we all know how to do :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Thanks everyone.

I believe the point of this thread was to point out that the Sprint Nexus has 4.0.4. Then people chimed in saying it got 4.0.4 before the Verizon one... which technically isn't true. Its been available for Verizon branded Nexus before any other phone back in February. Its a build from Google, not something a sole developer or team put together. Just because Verizon either hasn't finished testing it or didn't approve it for some unknown reason (works great!) is besides the point since I'm pretty sure its been pointed out in the millions of "Where is my 4.0.4/5 update?"

For someone to think that you need to root or install a custom ROM or void your warranty to get it is ignorance.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Bottom line: Google develops the OS. Carriers have responsibility not only to their users, but to the FCC and their own policies regarding testing and such before releasing any software updates. Verizon isn't sitting on any update just for the fun of it and to make people squirm. It will be pushed when they determine it is ready. That's it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: oxymoron

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
OK as far as Sprint having the update first, must we go through this every time? You guys that defend Verizon, they are always,always the last ones to get updates on there phones. Verizon is the hold up and if Samsung has anything to do with the radio then there part of the reason as well.

Rooting and flashing roms sure it can be fun, every time I do the phone is buggier than before or the battery life is terrible. Or I have to wipe date or cache or all of a sudden my phone doesn't work and I have to flash a new rom. Not every one has time for that. So not a solution to the problems this phone has.

When I bought this phone it was me giving android one more shot, I said this time will be different its pure Android. I will get fast updates, I told my friends its the iPhone of Android. Man was I wrong. Google has messed up android beyond repair with this phone. The nexus line is now a joke. I have had five Android phones and I'm always waiting for updates. Google really needs to change the way they handle Android and carriers. [DELETED]. What good is 4g if I can't keep a signal? I am thinking hard about going to sprint. Not for this phone but because I hate Verizon so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
OK as far as Sprint having the update first, must we go through this every time? You guys that defend Verizon, they are always,always the last ones to get updates on there phones. Verizon is the hold up and if Samsung has anything to do with the radio then there part of the reason as well.

Rooting and flashing roms sure it can be fun, every time I do the phone is buggier than before or the battery life is terrible. Or I have to wipe date or cache or all of a sudden my phone doesn't work and I have to flash a new rom. Not every one has time for that. So not a solution to the problems this phone has.

When I bought this phone it was me giving android one more shot, I said this time will be different its pure Android. I will get fast updates, I told my friends its the iPhone of Android. Man was I wrong. Google has messed up android beyond repair with this phone. The nexus line is now a joke. I have had five Android phones and I'm always waiting for updates. Google really needs to change the way they handle Android and carriers. [DELETED]. What good is 4g if I can't keep a signal? I am thinking hard about going to sprint. Not for this phone but because I hate Verizon so much.

The way I see it, an update is an update, whether it comes OTA or a ROM.
There is no guarantee that an OTA update will fix any of the problems some Nexus owners are experiencing.
Lots of people hated the OTA gingerbread update.

Before I installed Paradigm, I was concerned that an OTA update would give me problems that I didn't have.
I never had signal issues, dropped calls, wifi bootloops, etc.

The only reason I installed a new ROM was to fix the JavaScript problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Why does the Sprint Gnex have 4.0.4 and we don't? Could this have something to do with Verizon? Personally i think it's BS but who am I? I'm running 4.0.4 already but it's the principal that angers me. I feel Verizon is screwing the pooch.

Does the Sprint version have LTE?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I believe the point of this thread was to point out that the Sprint Nexus has 4.0.4. Then people chimed in saying it got 4.0.4 before the Verizon one... which technically isn't true. Its been available for Verizon branded Nexus before any other phone back in February. Its a build from Google, not something a sole developer or team put together. Just because Verizon either hasn't finished testing it or didn't approve it for some unknown reason (works great!) is besides the point since I'm pretty sure its been pointed out in the millions of "Where is my 4.0.4/5 update?"

For someone to think that you need to root or install a custom ROM or void your warranty to get it is ignorance.

He knows that.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
As I posted a thread on this in sprint nexus. Sprint nexus isn't true asop device just like vzw nexus.
Jean-Baptiste Queru 1 hour ago · Desktop · Public Sprint Galaxy Nexus: not supported in AOSP

I've been getting a few questions about AOSP support for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus.

The short answer is: the Sprint Galaxy Nexus is not supported in the Android Open Source Project.

The long answer: the release process for the Spring Galaxy Nexus is similar to that of the non-yakju variants of the GSM Galaxy Nexus (e.g. yakjuxw, yakjuux, yakjudv...), which makes that device similarly impossible to support in AOSP. There are no source files, no proprietary hardware-related binaries and no factory images available for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus. In addition, since it's a CDMA device, it would probably be limited by the usual CDMA licensing issues that have been affecting the other CDMA devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Reactions: oxymoron

slave2theaxe

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
All you people pissing and moaning about the lack of an update to "fix" your phones are going to be SORELY disappointed when it finally does drop and your phones are still jacked. This isn't a software issue people...its a hardware (your phone). If it was software, it would affect EVERY SINGLE GNex out there. It doesn't. If your phone has issues...its your phone. My phone doesn't have ANY of the issues that people complain about...nor does my wife's, and we are both running pure stock 4.0.2. I would venture a guess to say the majority of the owners of this phone don't have issues either.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...odds are that 4.0.4 or 4.0.5 or whatever update comes out, will not fix your issues.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
All you people pissing and moaning about the lack of an update to "fix" your phones are going to be SORELY disappointed when it finally does drop and your phones are still jacked. This isn't a software issue people...its a hardware (your phone). If it was software, it would affect EVERY SINGLE GNex out there. It doesn't. If your phone has issues...its your phone. My phone doesn't have ANY of the issues that people complain about...nor does my wife's, and we are both running pure stock 4.0.2. I would venture a guess to say the majority of the owners of this phone don't have issues either.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...odds are that 4.0.4 or 4.0.5 or whatever update comes out, will not fix your issues.

While hardware is the most likely possibility, the PHONE being the problem isnt. In a thread I did way back I narrowed down one specific issue (mic cutouts) to a location-based problem, with 90% (9 out of ten) of the people claiming to have issues living in bigger cities with LTE towers.

Problems could just as well be caused by the towers this phone connects to, depending on the problem, and it is also likely that a software Radio update could fix issues like the one above. So while in a way I will agree with you, I am also gonna respectfully disagree.

PS: Its late, so if that sounds like a ramble just let it slide. im tired.

Reactions: takehull

flybass

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
While hardware is the most likely possibility, the PHONE being the problem isnt. In a thread I did way back I narrowed down one specific issue (mic cutouts) to a location-based problem, with 90% (9 out of ten) of the people claiming to have issues living in bigger cities with LTE towers.

Problems could just as well be caused by the towers this phone connects to, depending on the problem, and it is also likely that a software Radio update could fix issues like the one above. So while in a way I will agree with you, I am also gonna respectfully disagree.

what he said. i've complained about signal drop, but in a different location for two weeks my signal was rock solid. it is just ty radios for everyone and some are in good areas

slave2theaxe

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

I've used my phone in several different cities with widely varying LTE signal. From Florida which had no LTE, to Atlanta which was pretty strong, to home here in PHX which has differing strength depending on where in town you are...it runs from great to crappy. Today I'm typing this from down in Tucson. I have never had any of the issues people complain about in any of these places, yet other people I know with the GNex have... How can software be a problem in this case?

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Wonder how to narrow down the difference? There must be either batches that are bad, or poor quality control. Do we all have the same hardware versions, place of manufacture, etc? The fact that some are definitely good and some are definitely bad... There must be something common in both sides... Someone is going to have to go class-action against Samsung if there are so many phones out there that simply do not work. I know mine was definitely defective. My new one arrives Monday. I will report in with what I find........

wyseguy77

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry to see the turn that this thread has taken, but am glad to see that it is getting back on track. I meant for it simply to be a rant, not a boxing ring. I didn't mean to cry about not having an update (I'm using custom roms) I just want to point out the obvious (Sprint has 4.0.4 and Verizon doesn't) and how it kinda upsets me. On the bright side I've learned a thing or two from you guys so thanks.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Something funnier to think about, VZW techs think our phones get their updates from Samsung. They have no idea about their products at all.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
during my initial setup I had to agree to receive updates from Google, and so maybe that's why the reps think updates come from Google. THE CDMA binaries come from Verizon...who probably send them to Google for inclusion in the build so Verizon and Sprint phones will never be running the exact same version.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Agree I think the network has a lot to do with many issues the phones have. It seems like every new lte phone has the same issues( to an extent) and it is more on verizon's end. They are constantly working to improve the towers and I know the bionic was worse than the nexus at first with data issues and radio problems and now after a few updates it is like a completely different phone. If the nexus was the only one with these problems I would say it's hardware but it is across the board with lte devices.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Agree I think the network has a lot to do with many issues the phones have. It seems like every new lte phone has the same issues( to an extent) and it is more on verizon's end. They are constantly working to improve the towers and I know the bionic was worse than the nexus at first with data issues and radio problems and now after a few updates it is like a completely different phone. If the nexus was the only one with these problems I would say it's hardware but it is across the board with lte devices.

Yeah this I disagree with this but you have to actually have another phone to see how bad it really is. My daughter's mom has a razr and she had 2bars of lte while my phone could not even pick up lte and only had 1 bar of 3g. Its definitely something specifically with this phone. Not sure if its software or hardware but Samsung is known to make crappy radios.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12