Didn't want to be the one, but Sprint GN has 4.0.4....

wyseguy77

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Why does the Sprint Gnex have 4.0.4 and we don't? Could this have something to do with Verizon? Personally i think it's BS but who am I? I'm running 4.0.4 already but it's the principal that angers me. I feel Verizon is screwing the pooch.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
We're all to stupid to even realize that they at least had preorders. We're always like, it's not late if they don't have a release date!

dimsdale

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

wyseguy77

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
If you buy a SGN and then fail to root it and install a custom ROM (a la Cyanogen), you need to sell your SGN and get an iPhone 4S.
Even if you want to run straight Google, there is the craiggomez rom which will get you 4.0.4, the new radios, and even the real google kernel. See [ROM]IMM30B 4.0.4 Stock,rooted,deodexed,zipaligned,busybox,insecure boot + mods zips - xda-developers
No more whining about this.
Seriously.

First, that's just idiotic way of thinking. I understand that this is a "developer device" but just because you buy it doesn't mean you have to root and flash. If only people who were going to do that bought the phone no one would carry it because very few of us would buy it compared to people who are buying a phone because they think it's cool. Yes we are out numbered.

Second, I did say I'm running 4.0.4. I've flashed Patient Zero too

Third, I'm simply saying that it seems that Verizon has ruined what I thought was a device they couldn't ruin. Sprint had 4.0.4, Sprint also has Google Wallet. Remember when Verizon said that it's not their fault Wallet isn't on the Gnex? So if you don't like my rant just hit the back button and I'll respectably do the same in your thread.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: I didn't want to be the one that did this but...

If you buy a SGN and then fail to root it and install a custom ROM (a la Cyanogen), you need to sell your SGN and get an iPhone 4S.
Even if you want to run straight Google, there is the craiggomez rom which will get you 4.0.4, the new radios, and even the real google kernel. See [ROM]IMM30B 4.0.4 Stock,rooted,deodexed,zipaligned,busybox,insecure boot + mods zips - xda-developers
No more whining about this.
Seriously.

Seriously, some people want the pure google experience without rooting their phone, for whatever reason, be it the fear of bricking their phone, the fear of voiding their contract, or being incapable to diving that deep into software tech. Dont make the mistake of thinking everyone who gets a gnex NEEDS to root and ROM, that's like saying everyone who gets an iPhone need to accept it for what it is and forget about jailbreaking it because apple looks down on it (aka color inside the lines, not over them).

PS: I too think these threads are monotonous. But as long as theres no updates there will be these threads, its just the facts of life. I just dont think people should HAVE to root and rom to be happy with it.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

I wish people would quit calling it a developer device at all. From what I can see on Verizon's website... it doesn't say anything about it being a developer phone or anything like that. It is shown in the same way every other smart phone is shown.

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I wish people would quit calling it at developer device at all. From what I can see on Verizon's website... it doesn't say anything about it being a developer phone or anything like that. It is shown in the same way every other smart phone is shown.

They call it that because that's what it is.

KrispyKrink

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

They call it that because that's what it is.

It's a consumer level device, sold at Verizon stores as one of the top level Android devices to the average Joe Blow and Grandmas as an alternative to the iPhone. If it were purely a "developer" phone it would not be sold in such a manner, maybe if it were sold only to registered developers direct from Google, you argument would hold water.

Reactions: veloslave#AC

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

It's a consumer level device, sold at Verizon stores as one of the top level Android devices to the average Joe Blow and Grandmas as an alternative to the iPhone. If it were purely a "developer" phone it would not be sold in such a manner, maybe if it were sold only to registered developers direct from Google, you argument would hold water.

Who said it was a pure developer device? You think things can't have more than one purpose?

Maybe if it had a highly-locked bootloader and no developer options your argument would hold water.

You can believe what you want. You can have the pope selling it along with holy water, and the presence of (1) the easy bootloader, (2) developer options, and (3) Google or Android themselves launching it as a reference platform (i.e. the debut of stock ICS, soft keys, etc etc) gives plenty of circumstantial evidence to show that at least one purpose of the phone was to develop applications and ICS.

It's kind of shocking when people buy a device like this and are shocked when customization is at least a highly implied purpose--or one of such purposes. Please, we can agree to disagree--rooting is its own thing and I'm not rehashing an argument that people (on both sides) have tried and failed with time and time again here.

No one holds a gun to your head to tell you to root. But acting with naivety does nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

Its a foolish statement. I have a Gnex. Its my first Android. Will I flash/root? Yes, eventually... maybe. Right now, the only reason I have for doing so is to improve the radios. Not to tweak/mod/hack it, because for me (for now) it does what I need and like.

Yes I'm thinking about flashing to 4.0.4, maybe this weekend even. But if I hadn't been reading A.C. and other sites I'd know nothing about flashing. I'd just think Andoid was a more customizeable OS then iOS. I bet many people will buy a Gnex and not even know they CAN flash/hack/ROM their device. And if those many many people DIDN'T buy Android developer devices -- they'd be rare as hen's teeth, and extremely overpriced.

So instead of telling us to get an iPhone -- rather THANK us for keeping YOUR hobby affordable.

Reactions: veloslave#AC

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Verizon has had how many months to provide an update? Sprint instantly has a more advanced version. They don't have LTE yet, but to have a GNex without the problems that plague Verizon users might be worth it to some. My buddy just received his Sprint version and he doesn't have the signal, bluetooth, mic, reboots and sound issues that many Verizon users have. There is no excuse for Verizon still being on 4.02!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has had how many months to provide an update? Sprint instantly has a more advanced version. They don't have LTE yet, but to have a GNex without the problems that plague Verizon users might be worth it to some. My buddy just received his Sprint version and he doesn't have the signal, bluetooth, mic, reboots and sound issues that many Verizon users have. There is no excuse for Verizon still being on 4.02!

Blame Google.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is a piece of **** when it comes to things like this. It pisses me off because I was finally able to get a Nexus. Who knows if Verizon will even get the next Nexus after this failure with updates. I don't like bloat or anyone's overlay. That being said I will only go with 2 phones. A Nexus or an iPhone. No one should have to root inorder to have no bloat and a pure OS. No one should have to root to have a newer software, its bull .

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
VZW is to blame. We all know this. We who are long time VZW customers have always known this.

This is the first device I held out rooting as soon as I got it, because I had the hope that since it was a Google device, Google would have more control over when we get updates. Obviously, that's not the case.

I have NEVER relied on VZW for updates to my devices, and it looks like I never will. I tried. I'm okay with that though.

Should I have to be responsible for my own updates? Probably not, but those are the facts. I do. Especially if I want the most up to date software from Google... which I do.

What are my choices?
1- wait for updates, and always be frustrated and let down
2- do it myself and move on with my life happily with a badass device

I choose 2. Always. Is it for everyone? No.

I just think those of us that have been VZW customers for a long time know better than to rely on them for timely updates.

I feel bad for you guys/gals that don't want to root, because I know it can be intimidating. Don't feel pressured to do anything you aren't comfortable with. But also (and please don't take this the wrong way), it IS the quickest, most satisfying, effective solution.

Apologies. I had too much coffee this morning.

*customized tapatalk signature*

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon