1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Swapping Sims.. Lost Phone Issue

Well yesterday was miserable rainy day on which my pregnant wife managed to completely lose track of her Galaxy Nexus while we stopped in CVS and Whole Foods.

Because I am an ***** I never got around to adding insurance on the phone (or Google+ for photo backup or Lookout for locating grrrrrr), and the lucky yet unintelligent and non-Good Samaritan finders won't answer the phone to allow me to tell them I am willing to give them a $100.00 reward. Now they are going to be stuck with a paperweight that cannot (hopefully) be activated on Verizon because I had Verizon block the ESN. The phone had a lock screen and such so I'm not too concerned, but she will lose all her pics.

Anyway, my only option is to add a line through Amazon. They have the phone for $49.99. The Verizon rep I could get a dumb flip phone from someone, and put the new number on that and then swap my wife's old number to the new Galaxy Nexus, and put the new number on the dumb phone. Total cost will be the $49.99 + $9.99 per month for the added line for 24 months, plus activation. Still a heck of a lot cheaper than the $649 Verizon wants to charge me for a new GN.

My question is, my GN has a small scratch on the screen that drives me a bit crazy but won't bother her. I was thinking of putting my SIM in the new GN after activation and putting her new SIM in my GN. So I would get the GN with the fresh screen, and she would get mine (which is in perfect condition otherwise). I am guessing I will need to wait for the entire number swap to be completed.

Is it possible to swap sims like his easily with Verizon? I came from T-Mobile and it was pretty painless on GSM. I am definitely getting insurance and I am definitely installing Lookout and Google+ on her new phone.

I dont have an answer on swapping sims, but i do have a suggestion to find it. I lost my galaxy nexus one time and didnt have any gps locator software on it. What i did to find it is you can goto the market online that download applications to your phone (was market.android.com but can be found on google.com with the play tab). I found a program called "where's my droid". As long as you use your main gmail account it should download that program. From there after it installs, you can text your wifes phone "gps my droid" and the program will text you back that it recieved your command, then turn on the gps, then send you a link where the phone is at.

That should give you an idea where the phone is at as long as the phone is still on and working. There is no promise it will work but it did find my phone. Good luck with the whole process what ever way you take!
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Swapping Sims.. Lost Phone Issue

Well I spent around 5 hours calling. No answer. So I figured it was too risky to leave it out of our possession that long just in case calls were able to be made or the sim was swapped.
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,118 Global Posts

Keep in mind buying from amazon means you cannot change anything on that line for 181 days. They can and will charge you full retail if you move that nexus to another line
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I read the Terms before purchasing and it said I just have to maintain the line in good standing for 181 days. Says nothing about data. I will email them to confirm.

If not then I can probably work around it by call forwarding her old number to the new number for a couple months right?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Here is the policy:

When you purchase your device with service from AmazonWireless.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount from the carrier to you. This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, AmazonWireless.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes.

You can just swap sim cards on the phones, like a GSM model. Why is the fact she is pregnant relevant? Unless you feel guilty because you should be buying her a brand new phone instead of giving her the old one lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I only mentioned the fact that she is pregnant to add something personable to it, and since I have heard some old wives tale that pregnant women tend to be forgetful. Not sure of that's true but getting insurance just in case.

On a side note, what is up with swiftkey and this crazy cursor. Driving me insane.

May I recommend a cloud service like dropbox that let's you sync your pictures as soon as they are taken...that way she won't have to worry about losing them in the future

Sent from my Stratosphere using Tapatalk

Not sure if it applies in your situation, but in your verizon acct., there's a "Manage My Devices" section, where, for each line you have, you can enter the SIM and phone ID number for the line you want it to work on. Might be an alternative to consider. But switching SIMs between phones also works. Some reps will tell you that you also have to call in if you do that, but I haven't had to.