4G vs Wifi and its effect on battery while idle-my test

dannyro77

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I have wondered in reading many posts exactly what the effect on your battery is when it is on wi-fi as opposed to when it is on 4G. Most of the posts I read stated that while your phone is idle, it drains less battery while on 4G, but Wi-fi is more effective when you are actively using it. I ran some tests that challenge one part of this theory with my Verizon G-Nex.

I wanted to test the 4G vs Wifi effect on the battery while the phone was idle. So all day yesterday while I was watching the Flyers crush the Penguins (Go Flyers) I tested the effect on the batter in 1 hour increments: I.E 12pm -1pm wifi, 1-2 4G, 2-3 wifi, and so on until about 11pm that night. I typically found that leaving the phone idle with Wifi on always either used less battery or tied 4G in battery usage. Typically over 1 hour, wifi would only consume 1 point of battery I.E. 95-94 (and sometimes no points at all) while 4G typically used between 1-4 points of the battery-it varied through the day). I know this is not too much of a difference but it could matter over the span of a full day, and I just wanted to know which was better. Result - wifi drains less of the battery while the phone is idle than 4G for sure. Not sure about active usage results.

Anyhow for others that have tested- did you have the same results? Also, has anyone tested this effect on battery while actively using the phone? Any thoughts, comments, etc. are welcome.

nasellok

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If i leave my wifi on while at work, with moderate usage throughout the day, i get home with 30-40% battery left. With 4g, and i am barely making it home with any battery life. I have unlimited data, so i like to stick it to Verizon wherever possible, but due to the battery life savings on wifi, its sort of preventing me from sticking it to the man
:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech