Help! Random restarts once or twice a day

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Just want to know why my phone has recently started to restart itself once or twice a day. Maybe even more and I just don't notice. Sometimes I'm using an app and sometimes I'm not. Most recent case today, in a period of 5 hours it has restarted twice. First while it was in my pocket, then 5 hours later while I was using Google navigation. Doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing. I don't know what could be causing it. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Are you rooted/unlocked? If so, I'd try doing a cache/dalvik wipe. You could try a factory wipe if you're not rooted and such, but that'll get rid of everything.

Reboots can be a variety of things; battery heat, the CPU freezing up under load, etc. etc. If you start with a clean slate (i.e. wiping) and it still happens then you know there's something seriously wrong w/ the device.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Yea yea I know you shouldn't have to root and install custom software for the phone to work. But I go to several forums and have read more than once (at least 30 lol) that installing a custom rom completely cured random reboots.

You asked for suggestions, so I offer you one. :)

watchtheflames

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine used to reboot up to 3 times a day before I rooted. Seemed to happen when I was listening to Spotify or sending a text. Since I rooted and upgraded to 4.0.4 I haven't rebooted one time. If you are not rooted and you do a wipe of your device and it continues then consider rooting it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Back then when my phone was on 4.0.2 it would reboot while playing music :(

Mine still does that occasionally (like literally after I posted here). It usually does it when switching networks, e.g. WiFi to 4G, 4G to nothing, etc. etc. Hopefully the new Spotify beta solves that. Play Music does it as well, but Spotify seems to be the main culprit.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Mine has recently started freezing needing a battery pull to restart it. It used to go weeks or longer without a freeze or restart, manual or random. Now it is every other day it seems. I've uninstalled all of my recently downloaded apps and some older ones that I don't use much and hasn't seemed to help. I can live with an occasional freeze but this is getting really annoying. It usually happens while I'm not using it and is just in my pocket.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Mine has recently started freezing needing a battery pull to restart it. It used to go weeks or longer without a freeze or restart, manual or random. Now it is every other day it seems. I've uninstalled all of my recently downloaded apps and some older ones that I don't use much and hasn't seemed to help. I can live with an occasional freeze but this is getting really annoying. It usually happens while I'm not using it and is just in my pocket.

That sounds a lot like cache and memory build up, but I'm no expert in that arena.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Yea yea I know you shouldn't have to root and install custom software for the phone to work. But I go to several forums and have read more than once (at least 30 lol) that installing a custom rom completely cured random reboots.

You asked for suggestions, so I offer you one. :)

That depends on the ROM. When I was trying to decide which one to install I read several posts about freezing and reboots. I chose the one with the fewest negative comments.

wassct

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Root and put on 4.04. My wife's Nexus rebooted constantly until I put 4.4 on hers. That was back in Feb. Not one reboot since. Mine never reboots on 4.04 either.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

maricopa1963

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I suddenly was getting random reboots. They occurred when I gave my phone a little jolt. Like when I dropped it into my pocket. Drop your phone onto a table from about 2 inches and see if it happens to you. I'm getting a replacement phone tomorrow.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
i haven't really installed anything recently. by recently i mean within the last week. and i'm not rooted. are there less or more problems when rooted?

something i did notice is that my ram keeps getting low everyday it's on without shutting down. the thing is that if i add up all the running apps and cached apps, they still don't total up to the amount of ram missing. so every few days i have to restart/shutdown anyway.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
i don't want to have to root, so i'm just trying to figure out what i can do to stop the restarts. i just noticed another one today. all i was doing was flipping through home screens.

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
i started getting reboots when listening to music, too. its been at least 2 weeks now and i have no idea what ive installed since or whats updated. i dont stream much; it mostly happens when using PowerAMP, but i think that's just a coincidence since the only times it reboots are when im driving, which means music is also playing. im almost positive it's the same i had with the thunderbolt - reboots tower handoffs. the reboots happen in roughly the same few places every time, all of which are on the edges of 2 towers or when it's going from 3G to 4G. this just started 2 weeks ago, maybe 3. ive had the phone since Jan and never had a single reboot before.

im running root w/ stock, and have been since day 2 owning the phone. ive had the same core programs installed did since day 1.

WTF is going on? maybe ill flash 4.04 this weekend.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
i started getting reboots when listening to music, too. its been at least 2 weeks now and i have no idea what ive installed since or whats updated. i dont stream much; it mostly happens when using PowerAMP, but i think that's just a coincidence since the only times it reboots are when im driving, which means music is also playing. im almost positive it's the same i had with the thunderbolt - reboots tower handoffs. the reboots happen in roughly the same few places every time, all of which are on the edges of 2 towers or when it's going from 3G to 4G. this just started 2 weeks ago, maybe 3. ive had the phone since Jan and never had a single reboot before.

im running root w/ stock, and have been since day 2 owning the phone. ive had the same core programs installed did since day 1.

WTF is going on? maybe ill flash 4.04 this weekend.

I have the same issue, but on 4.0.4 radios. Here's my 2 cents ==>

When streaming music, you're under a heavy, constant data load that is buffered to only such and such time in the song. So when the network switches and the song is still playing, it will eventually need signal to restore the buffer/play the song, and when it doesn't find it, it reboots to find it. Maybe that's it, maybe it's not--it's the only reason I can think of to explain how I can almost "reboot" my phone on demand w/ Spotify lol