Best Buy no longer taking Google Wallet?

entendu

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience to what I had this past weekend.

The free $15 Prepaid Card from Google has been burning a hole in my pocket, so I decided to go and buy a new pair of headphones at Best Buy with it.

I followed directions on using Wallet, and the Paypass and my GNex communicated as they should, however, the Kiosk at Best Buy popped up with a message saying something along the lines of "Contactless payment not being accepted."

So i asked the cashier if I could try it again, and his response was "Well you can, but it just hasn't been working lately."

I went online today and searched on Google's Wallet website and Best Buy is no longer listed as a place that accepts Wallet.

Anyone know why? It's got me curious because you would think that a store that deals mainly in tech would accept Wallet payments.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
It's never worked for me at BB either. Same error. Tried three times at two different BB's. I don't even attempt to use it there anymore.

*customized tapatalk signature*

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've never used it at BB, but I've probably used it 500 times at all random stores I see with the NFC debit/credit machines without a hitch. Definitely love the "wow factor" of GW , but I'm sure I'd feel like a big dbag if it was ever rejected because people already tend to look at you like "wtf are you doing?!"

Reactions: dslayton

entendu

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
It seems as though it's something on Best Buy's end. The cashier seemed familiar with Google Wallet and didn't look at me like I was an alien when I put my phone up to the reader.

To me his response almost made it seem as though Best Buy put a stop to accepting it.

I've had the phone since release day, and the money's just been sitting there. Was pumped to finally use it on something. Oh well...guess i'll find somewhere else to blow my $15.

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Was your total purchase $15 our under? It only works for me if my purchase is exact or less then the money I have in my Google wallet.

slayer91790

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Where did you guys get the .apk at? My came with the rom and it says unsupported device which I don't think it works.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I tried to buy my headphones using wallet and that's when I found out :mad:

sent from a Android device :)
I'm always on!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience to what I had this past weekend.

The free $15 Prepaid Card from Google has been burning a hole in my pocket, so I decided to go and buy a new pair of headphones at Best Buy with it.

I followed directions on using Wallet, and the Paypass and my GNex communicated as they should, however, the Kiosk at Best Buy popped up with a message saying something along the lines of "Contactless payment not being accepted."

So i asked the cashier if I could try it again, and his response was "Well you can, but it just hasn't been working lately."

I went online today and searched on Google's Wallet website and Best Buy is no longer listed as a place that accepts Wallet.

Anyone know why? It's got me curious because you would think that a store that deals mainly in tech would accept Wallet payments.
I tried using it a couple of months ago at one of the local Best Buy's out here. I was told pretty much the same thing you were told too. I don't think Best Buy has accepted Google Wallet for a while. Or at least that is the feeling I got when I was there.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Worked for me. i had to open the app and enter my pin and tap it to the block. My total purchase was 44 bucks or so.
Screenshot_2012-04-24-23-25-23.png

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Where did you guys get the .apk at? My came with the rom and it says unsupported device which I don't think it works.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That's just because you're rooted. It works fine. There is a security exploit for rooted devices, but to take advantage of it a person has to actually have your device in their possession... know the exploit exists... and know how to execute. Chances are slim. Google just puts that there to cover their metaphorical heinys in the event that it does happen. As far as I know, to date it has not.

@Andrew, I forgot about opening the app prior to using it. That's the only way I can get it to work at Sunoco sometimes, and completely forgot about it while at BB... or I figured it out after. Either way, thanks for the reminder!

*customized tapatalk signature*

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I have used it numerous times at BB, spending a couple hundred dollars at least... granted I have not used it in the past say 2 months though.

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The difference between Best Buy and Walgreens (examples) would be that Walgreens is a Single Tap merchant. You probably don't even have to open the app. Best Buy is not listed as a Single Tap merchant, but Google does say it will work anywhere MasterCard PayPass works. Best Buy is listed as a PayPass merchant (however, my closest BestBuy didn't show up, but a best buy mobile did). Could be store dependent. Worked for me in Asheville, NC

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I bought my gaming headset at Best Buy using Wallet. Everything went fine. That was also back in January when Wallet was working for me. Maybe they just recently stopped allowing the use of Wallet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463