Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best Buy no longer taking Google Wallet?

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience to what I had this past weekend.

The free $15 Prepaid Card from Google has been burning a hole in my pocket, so I decided to go and buy a new pair of headphones at Best Buy with it.

I followed directions on using Wallet, and the Paypass and my GNex communicated as they should, however, the Kiosk at Best Buy popped up with a message saying something along the lines of "Contactless payment not being accepted."

So i asked the cashier if I could try it again, and his response was "Well you can, but it just hasn't been working lately."

I went online today and searched on Google's Wallet website and Best Buy is no longer listed as a place that accepts Wallet.

Anyone know why? It's got me curious because you would think that a store that deals mainly in tech would accept Wallet payments.
    It's been real...

It's never worked for me at BB either. Same error. Tried three times at two different BB's. I don't even attempt to use it there anymore.

*customized tapatalk signature*
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

Default Re: Best Buy no longer taking Google Wallet?

It should work. As long as you see the panel to tap your phone, their shouldn't be a problem.
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

I've never used it at BB, but I've probably used it 500 times at all random stores I see with the NFC debit/credit machines without a hitch. Definitely love the "wow factor" of GW , but I'm sure I'd feel like a big dbag if it was ever rejected because people already tend to look at you like "wtf are you doing?!"
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It seems as though it's something on Best Buy's end. The cashier seemed familiar with Google Wallet and didn't look at me like I was an alien when I put my phone up to the reader.

To me his response almost made it seem as though Best Buy put a stop to accepting it.

I've had the phone since release day, and the money's just been sitting there. Was pumped to finally use it on something. Oh well...guess i'll find somewhere else to blow my $15.

Meh. Best Buy sucks anyway.

Global Posts
    6,684 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

15 ? I only ever had 10

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone buy at Best Buy? I thought they were just Amazon show rooms.
    Droid (2009 original stock) --> Incredible --> Thunderbolt (Rooted/ROMed) --> Galaxy Nexus (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 2 (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 3 (Stock)
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

Quote Originally Posted by jephanie View Post
    Meh. Best Buy sucks anyway.
    Hey Hey! lol we're not that bad. IF you seen the training they put us through, i think at least consumers would appreciate us as people.
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays
    Darth Spock likes this.

Was your total purchase $15 our under? It only works for me if my purchase is exact or less then the money I have in my Google wallet.

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy-TORO

Where did you guys get the .apk at? My came with the rom and it says unsupported device which I don't think it works.

I tried to buy my headphones using wallet and that's when I found out

sent from a Android device
    I'm always on!

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by entendu View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience to what I had this past weekend.

The free $15 Prepaid Card from Google has been burning a hole in my pocket, so I decided to go and buy a new pair of headphones at Best Buy with it.

I followed directions on using Wallet, and the Paypass and my GNex communicated as they should, however, the Kiosk at Best Buy popped up with a message saying something along the lines of "Contactless payment not being accepted."

So i asked the cashier if I could try it again, and his response was "Well you can, but it just hasn't been working lately."

I went online today and searched on Google's Wallet website and Best Buy is no longer listed as a place that accepts Wallet.

Anyone know why? It's got me curious because you would think that a store that deals mainly in tech would accept Wallet payments.
    I tried using it a couple of months ago at one of the local Best Buy's out here. I was told pretty much the same thing you were told too. I don't think Best Buy has accepted Google Wallet for a while. Or at least that is the feeling I got when I was there.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Worked for me. i had to open the app and enter my pin and tap it to the block. My total purchase was 44 bucks or so.
    It's been real...

Quote Originally Posted by slayer91790 View Post
    Where did you guys get the .apk at? My came with the rom and it says unsupported device which I don't think it works.

That's just because you're rooted. It works fine. There is a security exploit for rooted devices, but to take advantage of it a person has to actually have your device in their possession... know the exploit exists... and know how to execute. Chances are slim. Google just puts that there to cover their metaphorical heinys in the event that it does happen. As far as I know, to date it has not.

@Andrew, I forgot about opening the app prior to using it. That's the only way I can get it to work at Sunoco sometimes, and completely forgot about it while at BB... or I figured it out after. Either way, thanks for the reminder!

*customized tapatalk signature*

ROM
    4.0.3 Codename 1.5.0

I have used it numerous times at BB, spending a couple hundred dollars at least... granted I have not used it in the past say 2 months though.
    DaPoets
    ~ Galaxy Nexus LTE Codename Android ROM 1.6 (ICS 4.0.3)
    ~ Motorola Xoom LTE Codename Android ROM 1.5.5 (ICS 4.0.3)
    ~ Droid Charge as 24/7 4G Unlimited Tether Bot on Stock
    G1000 -> PPC6600 -> PPC6700 -> OG Droid -> Galaxy S Fascinate -> Pure Bliss

sent from a Android device
    I'm always on!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    Worked for me. i had to open the app and enter my pin and tap it to the block. My total purchase was 44 bucks or so.
    Seems like maybe they just stopped accepting it now, because I have seen some people say they've had success at Best Buy, but not recently.
    Banned

The difference between Best Buy and Walgreens (examples) would be that Walgreens is a Single Tap merchant. You probably don't even have to open the app. Best Buy is not listed as a Single Tap merchant, but Google does say it will work anywhere MasterCard PayPass works. Best Buy is listed as a PayPass merchant (however, my closest BestBuy didn't show up, but a best buy mobile did). Could be store dependent. Worked for me in Asheville, NC

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

I bought my gaming headset at Best Buy using Wallet. Everything went fine. That was also back in January when Wallet was working for me. Maybe they just recently stopped allowing the use of Wallet.

Best buy isn't gonna take anybody's wallet soon

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by yosteve View Post
    Best buy isn't gonna take anybody's wallet soon
    You know they are in trouble when...

You search for something on their mobile app and it refers you to buy.com for pricing and purchasing.

this doesn't have anything to do with google wallet. my chase visa has nfc built in as well and of the 4 or so best buys i go to regularly, the nfc has not worked once ever in those stores. works everywhere else, just like google wallet
    Nexus 5!
    The path to enlightenment begins with an unlocked bootloader...

twitter.com/indianajonze
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

They may have neglected to renew their license for the contactless payment software, so it isn't working. From experience, the software is incredibly expensive, so they may have just decided to stop offering it. Or they could be in the middle of POS upgrades and nfc is a temporary casualty.

Quote Originally Posted by TitansJonne View Post
    Hey Hey! lol we're not that bad. IF you seen the training they put us through, i think at least consumers would appreciate us as people.
    Dude, you work at BB? Whoa...no offense, but here in the NYC area, with the exception of the one off Northern Blvd. and Union Square, they provide a truly unpleasant shopping experience. The employees in the Mobile Dept. at the BB at the Atlantic Mall act like gangsta's.

Not hating, just saying...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast