Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wyseguy77
  • 1 Post By TabGuy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

Default Bought a Nexus. Wow, what a phone!

In my previous thread you guys gave me great feedback. So i decided what the hell. ICS definitely has a learning curve. I downloaded Nemus Launcher. Any better launcher to suggest? Also, I expected a bigger and better keyboard. Any replacement suggestions?

I really liked my Rezound but this Nexus is friggin sweet. Im glad i upgraded. Smooth, clean, and filled with cool options im sure ill be learning over the next week. Suggestions and tips are welcome!
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP b38

I made the same move as well. Welcome! I haven't experienced any problems, and I love the taste of vanilla!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Welcome and congrats! If you plan on ever unlocking your phone I suggest you do it now while it's fresh and empty, the process will delete everything. As for a launcher, I'm using Nova and love it! Swype works great for me I highly suggest it if you like that type of keyboard. Enjoy your phone.
    dmmarck likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Bought a Nexus. Wow, what a phone!

Quote Originally Posted by wyseguy77 View Post
    Welcome and congrats! If you plan on ever unlocking your phone I suggest you do it now while it's fresh and empty, the process will delete everything. As for a launcher, I'm using Nova and love it! Swype works great for me I highly suggest it if you like that type of keyboard. Enjoy your phone.
    Jerry's backup utility will backup and restore everything from a non-rooted nexus. Not so much of a concern anymore if you do it before hand.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Yup. Backup frequently, and if you unlock/root, shoot us a hello in the Rom/Flashing subforum!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    Jerry's backup utility will backup and restore everything from a non-rooted nexus. Not so much of a concern anymore if you do it before hand.
    Lol wish I knew this 2 weeks ago oh well.

ROM
    Stock

Lol wish I knew this 2 weeks ago oh well.

I just found out about it the other day! I love the idea if I ever decide to root my nexus. Right now, I'm pretty happy on 4.0.4. I unlocked my phone on day 1, so no big issue for me.

Here's a link for those who come across this:

[BETA] Backup Wonder Machine (no root, ICS only)
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    676 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

^ this about unlocking. Seeing as you arent a roooter/ROMmer you probably wont ever have the need to unlock, but its good to know that its fairly easy with this phone and it DOES erase all data when you do it.

I will also second NOVA launcher, in my opinion its the best launcher for the Gnex right now, you can use launcher pro themes with it (I THINK, at least is what I was told, you may have to research that yourself.)

Congrats on your purchase! I hope you enjoy the phone just as much as I have

Refreshing perspective, it's usually the other way around.

Most of the time its..."I'm gonna trade my POS nexus and get me a Rezound."

This post courtesy of Tapatalk2
    Last edited by davey11; 04-25-2012 at 12:44 AM.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

Thanks for the tips. I will give Nova a try after work!

Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    Jerry's backup utility will backup and restore everything from a non-rooted nexus.
    Where can this be found?

Quote Originally Posted by bob61 View Post
    Where can this be found?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=1607822

Quote Originally Posted by Murph5150 View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I will give Nova a try after work!
    Murph,

Also give Apex a try. Both Nova and Apex are built on the ICS launcher code base. The difference is that Apex offers features that Nova doesn't and it also offers features for free that Nova charges for.

I like the ability of having the home button launch a program of my choice. Something Nova doesn't do.
    Droid (2009 original stock) --> Incredible --> Thunderbolt (Rooted/ROMed) --> Galaxy Nexus (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 2 (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 3 (Stock)
    dmmarck likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    Murph,

Also give Apex a try. Both Nova and Apex are built on the ICS launcher code base. The difference is that Apex offers features that Nova doesn't and it also offers features for free that Nova charges for.

I like the ability of having the home button launch a program of my choice. Something Nova doesn't do.
    If I didn't pay for prime I'd still be on Apex. The only other difference that I've had is that unless you tweak the transition times, Apex is generally slower/laggier than Nova.

Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts

Thanks

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    If I didn't pay for prime I'd still be on Apex. The only other difference that I've had is that unless you tweak the transition times, Apex is generally slower/laggier than Nova.

Lol flame me, please.

But yeah apex when you set the transitions to 20 is wicked fast

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    Murph,

I tried them both and went with Apex. Great launcher. Reminds me of Launcher Pro but with more customization abilities. Thanks for the recommendation! Now I need a better keyboard. Not too impressed with the stock keyboard and I don't care for Swype.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

I tried them both and went with Apex. Great launcher. Reminds me of Launcher Pro but with more customization abilities. Thanks for the recommendation! Now I need a better keyboard. Not too impressed with the stock keyboard and I don't care for Swype.
    SwiftKey X ftw.

Here's a freebie: http://db.tt/QsolGEx3

Set it up right and give it some time to learn your typing style and you will be in love

Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

In my previous thread you guys gave me great feedback. So i decided what the hell. ICS definitely has a learning curve. I downloaded Nemus Launcher. Any better launcher to suggest? Also, I expected a bigger and better keyboard. Any replacement suggestions?

I really liked my Rezound but this Nexus is friggin sweet. Im glad i upgraded. Smooth, clean, and filled with cool options im sure ill be learning over the next week. Suggestions and tips are welcome!
    Congrats on the phone. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Regarding launchers, I prefer Nova. I tried Apex, but ended up going back to Nova.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    SwiftKey X ftw.

Here's a freebie: http://db.tt/QsolGEx3

Set it up right and give it some time to learn your typing style and you will be in love

Already an improvement. Thanks for the link!
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    Congrats on the phone. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Regarding launchers, I prefer Nova. I tried Apex, but ended up going back to Nova.
    Tried Nova, wasn't bad. Using Apex right now. Definitely enjoying it thanks!

Spend some time Swyping and it'll grow on you quick

I'm always torn on keyboards. I like Swype because I can be sloppy but that means I have to swype the whole word. I also like Swiftkey 3 beta because I often have to type only one letter (often zero letters) because the prediction is so good.

In the end I figured out how to change the setting in Swiftkey 3 beta to let me be sloppy also. Winner!
    Droid (2009 original stock) --> Incredible --> Thunderbolt (Rooted/ROMed) --> Galaxy Nexus (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 2 (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 3 (Stock)
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

Quote Originally Posted by yosteve View Post
    Spend some time Swyping and it'll grow on you quick
    My big fingers never never got along with Swype Swiftkey has been great.