Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree30Likes
    Would-be Doc

ROM
    Friggin' Jelly Bean

Default Re: Verizon holding up our update

The next Nexus I buy is going to come from Google directly. I'll deal with AT&T if I must, but being off contract is sounding more and more enticing every year.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
    Whether it is Samsung or Verizon, you should still be entitled to a working device which you are paying for. No one is asking for new features, we are asking them to fix radio issues...

For everything else we have root.
    There's a difference, however, between intermittent working for X amount of users and completely not working for all users. For a lot of people, the device is doing as expected, so these types of "complaints" don't resonate loudly with those "in charge."
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

Quote Originally Posted by MRW1215 View Post
    Not to "defend" Verizon, or anything, but I can't imagine they purposely hold back updates, or anything like that. I don't deny that it's frustrating how long it can take for updates to release, but I doubt any of us really know what, exactly, is going on at Verizon that is causing them to be held up. It could be any number of things. But it doesn't mean Verizon is sitting on updates, trying to annoy their customers, or worse, trying to push their customers to other phones.
    Well speculation was the original release was delayed because vzw had to suppress Google wallet. seems to me they're a big sensor board. Remember when we couldn't get gps on Google maps on the first smart phones? they probably refused the original iphone because of youtube interfering with vzw flicks (forgot what out was called back then)
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by yosteve View Post
    Well speculation was the original release was delayed because vzw had to suppress Google wallet. seems to me they're a big sensor board. Remember when we couldn't get gps on Google maps on the first smart phones? they probably refused the original iphone because of youtube interfering with vzw flicks (forgot what out was called back then)
    VZW Navigator. Such a terrible thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    There's a difference, however, between intermittent working for X amount of users and completely not working for all users. For a lot of people, the device is doing as expected, so these types of "complaints" don't resonate loudly with those "in charge."
    Agreed... I find it funny though that I just saw an article saying that some people have been having data issues on Sprint's version and Sprint and Samsung are already working on a fix.

Curious to see how long that update takes.
    toll likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    I'll write more about this in my column this week. But the short version is this: Verizon has ALWAYS been ... shall we say ... thorough in its network testing. This is not new, and it'd be awesome if blogs weren't so quick to slap bad headlines on things.
    I agree that this is hardly new, but I don't agree that news sites shouldn't call Verizon on it. Publicity is about the only thing that large corporations react to these days, so I'd rather see more coverage rather than less. The fact of the matter is that Verizon is taking too long, and they should very much feel pressure to speed up the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Pi View Post
    I'll be ready to accept that it's Verizon alone as soon as ATT or some other carrier starts passing them by with ICS upgrades for their LTE phones. Shouldn't take long at this particular stage. The whole argument that it would be a disaster to brick someones phone and prevent an emergency call is also negated by the LTE Xoom. What reason does Verizon have to hold back the Xoom update unless Motorola and Samsung both have trouble updating ICS for LTE.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-vi...-help-it-along

ICS updated, no hack nor rom
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Yup. I also think that what Paul said is equally applicable; like anything in life, those who have used it more usually have more expertise. I presume the sales persons know a decent amount, but probably not nearly the amount some/most of us do.
    In my experience, most times, the in store VZW reps that I have dealt with know just what they have been told to know about the phones they sell. There have been a few VZW reps that clearly were "Android Enthusiasts". I say this based off of my interactions with them. There have been times in which I'll mention something about a phone that we have discussed ad nauseum in the forums here and the typical response is usually somewhere along the lines, oh... I've never heard about that.

I think that to be able to identify a rooted, a rep would have to know what to look for. I'm not sure that is something that is necessarily covered in their training on each specific device.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Global Posts
    455 Global Posts

Well, I wouldn't be willing to be wrong if I wasn't willing to admit I was wrong.
    I can't believe Google lets the Nexus brand get killed like that.
    Apple doesn't wait for VZW. They roll their updates whenever/whichever carrier.

Why can't Google do that again?
    Yeah I don't get it. Verizon spends more on each iPhone with their bigger subsidies, too. So they pay a higher price to Apple and let them do their own updates. Any idea why they would give these perks to Apple and not Google? Even if it was 50/50 Android/Apple sales Verizon would be making more money from the Android phones.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Well, I wouldn't be willing to be wrong if I wasn't willing to admit I was wrong.
    I can't believe Google lets the Nexus brand get killed like that.
    Apple doesn't wait for VZW. They roll their updates whenever/whichever carrier.

Why can't Google do that again?
    Maybe Google isn't in quite the same position financially as Apple so they are unable to do that.

I also wonder if it has something to do with Apple having the ability to push updates through without VZW.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
    Whether it is Samsung or Verizon, you should still be entitled to a working device which you are paying for. No one is asking for new features, we are asking them to fix radio issues...
    There is a difference between what we "should" or would like to have and what VZW, or the manufacturers are required to do. Unless something is specifically spelled out in our contract that we are to receive updates, we are not.

Hey guys I have some good news, my brother is a senior tech advisor at Verizon and he informed me that 4.0.5 will be pushed to the Galaxy Nexus on May 17th.. barring any complicatons..have a good day guys

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate muffins View Post
    Hey guys I have some good news, my brother is a senior tech advisor at Verizon and he informed me that 4.0.5 will be pushed to the Galaxy Nexus on May 17th.. barring any complicatons..have a good day guys
    shenanigans
    pauldroidr2d2 likes this.

Well then, I guess I will look forward to May 17th!
    GS5 any day now
    Asus Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate muffins View Post
    Yeah buddy, we all believe you.

2013? :rolleyes:

Doesn't Google push updates to the Nexus?
    Yes and no. The GSM version, at least yakju and takju variants, are directly updated by Google without carrier interference. The CDMA versions must go through their respective carrier test cycles before being pushed. Even some GSM variants are updated by Samsung and other carriers. Unfortunately, not all Nexus are equal.

Google could theoretically make the update available while circumventing Verizon but then they don't want to ruffle the feathers of an important business partner. Given the heavy proprietary nature of CDMA technology, I don't think Google would be bothered with pushing the matter. After all, the ultimate goal is to get Android on many handsets in any way, shape, or form as long as it's using Google services and they have arguably accomplished that. Apple can do as they please because they are a powerful force to be reckoned with and it benefits Verizon to retain subscribers they may hemorrhage from lacking the iPhone on their network. It also wouldn't surprise me if their were some give and take from their iPhone deal such as Apple giving up some sales revenue in order to retain control of the update process(my own pure speculation).
    Thanked by:

I really don't care much since my GN is working pretty good on 4.02. Sure there are some issues, but you go on ANY forum here for ANY phone and you will read almost the same exact posts there but just about a different phone. It's almost comical. It's a huge gripefest.

I do find it suspect that the Sprint Galaxy Nexus, which is almost identical to the Verizon Galaxy Nexus (both are CDMA and LTE), is shipping with Android 4.0.4 hot out the box. So there goes the whole "CDMA/LTE is the problem" theory. It's also sad that the GSM version was updated over a month ago.

But is the lack of 4.04 really making my life less enjoyable? No. I also am not willing to root because then I loose Google Wallet because I don't think it can be used on rooted devices. So I'm not willing to give up Wallet just to have a shiny "4" at the ed of my version number.

But who knows... maybe Google is still trying to broker a deal with Verizon over Wallet....Maybe that's the holdup.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel611 View Post
    I really don't care much since my GN is working pretty good on 4.02. Sure there are some issues, but you go on ANY forum here for ANY phone and you will read almost the same exact posts there but just about a different phone. It's almost comical. It's a huge gripefest.

I do find it suspect that the Sprint Galaxy Nexus, which is almost identical to the Verizon Galaxy Nexus (both are CDMA and LTE), is shipping with Android 4.0.4 hot out the box. So there goes the whole "CDMA/LTE is the problem" theory. It's also sad that the GSM version was updated over a month ago.

But is the lack of 4.04 really making my life less enjoyable? No. I also am not willing to root because then I loose Google Wallet because I don't think it can be used on rooted devices. So I'm not willing to give up Wallet just to have a shiny "4" at the ed of my version number.

But who knows... maybe Google is still trying to broker a deal with Verizon over Wallet....Maybe that's the holdup.
    Google Wallet works 100% on rooted devices. I use it once a week or so. If you are rooted, you just get a warning at the top saying its an unsupported device, which is Google's way of covering themselves in case you lose your phone and someone breaks into your wallet, lol... but regardless it works perfectly.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Doesn't Google push updates to the Nexus?
    Different carriers, different contracts and arrangements.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Google is huge now. They should have some sort of leverage or tell VZW "no Nexus."
    Yes, Google is huge. But, VZW is bigger.
    With all the phones Samsung pushes through Verizon, I'm surprised the two companies can't get an update fast-tracked this isn't a major black eye, but with people viewing the Nexus as too buggy to buy and irrational people like me crying the death of the Nexus brand, it is indeed a black eye
    Yes, I'm sure it is. Especially given what an influential person you are in the world of Android and Google. Apparently you think because you throw a tantrum it should some how make Google, Samsung, and VZW quake in their boots. Thanks for the big laugh this morning. I needed that.
    2defmouze likes this.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Maybe. I'm not sure what doesn't add up, but it doesn't, at least as far as what we've been told. The Xoom is the buster of most theories in this one, as Verizon really has nothing to lose in letting it update.
    What theory is that regarding the Xoom?

Well it seems like a roll out *might* be happening?

Check for updates on your phones.
    dmmarck likes this.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Careful. I think your belly laugh woke up some of your coworkers in the Verizon store break room.
    Funny and probably true.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123