Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pauldroidr2d2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Leaked Verzon update schedule..

Sorry guys... Nothing with the galaxy nexus in site... Just thought id post this for those desperately waiting because they are experiencing problems... You might as well root and try to fix it that way or go for a razr maxx through verizon if you just cant take it anymore.. Does make me wonder why they have been testing the GN update for so long. The others look to be waaaay shorter... GN update must have some serious issues..

Verizon Android update schedule leaked

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: Leaked Verzon update schedule..

Keep in mind please that page is only showing
    1. Scheduled updates for devices going from Gingerbread -> ICS
    2. Bug fix patches type updates for some other devices.

The Nexus' update does not fit either of these categories... before people start screaming bloody hell, lol....
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious Jelly Bean

Yeah we wait STILL
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Keep in mind please that page is only showing
    1. Scheduled updates for devices going from Gingerbread -> ICS
    2. Bug fix patches type updates for some other devices.

The Nexus' update does not fit either of these categories... before people start screaming bloody hell, lol....
    You dont think the update to the gnex is going to be a Bug Fix patch?

Look, I know that stuff like this should always be taken with a grain of salt, but given Verizon's track record with this phone so far, I would be inclined to believe they dont have an OTA planned.

We had someone post that Verizon was delaying an OTA until early May. I'm going to give it that long and after that if we dont get anything I am rooting and flashing a ROM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Poseign View Post

Look, I know that stuff like this should always be taken with a grain of salt, but given Verizon's track record with this phone so far, I would be inclined to believe they dont have an OTA planned.

We had someone post that Verizon was delaying an OTA until early May. I'm going to give it that long and after that if we dont get anything I am rooting and flashing a ROM.
    Yeah thats what I did.. This is out of hand, almost 5 months and not one update to address any fixes or anything and the razr has had 4 or 5.. Rooted and not looking back... Good think I unlocked my bootloader cuz I knew this would probably happen..

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

Typical Verizon. A friend of mine went to VZW to look at the GNEX as I told him what an awesome phone this is. He was redirected towards the DROID line of phones. When I purchased my GNEX on the day it came out they tried to push me into the RAZR. They even went as far as to call the GNEX a "turd phone" and laugh. After speaking with a friend that works there, the verizon associates receive a greated amount of commission for selling a DROID branded device. Verizon will never support the GNEX like they do the DROID line. This much is very apparent to me and now everyone.

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

I think I will unlock again and flash a ROM. Sick and tired of crappy battery life.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

I'm going to record myself screaming bloody hell and attach it to one of my posts and there's nothing you can do about it. LOL
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
    2defmouze likes this.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Of course it doesn't.. Any OTA the Nexus ever receives is going to be an updated android version. No "bug fix" OTA's. Verizon does not plan or write or contribute to the the Nexus' updates in any way. Other phones can get bug fix updates that don't change their android version, Nexus updates are going to be updated android versions.. its a very specific difference. Google and Samsung write the update.

And for the 900 millionth time.... Verizon hasn't purposefully shelved or delayed or postponed any update to this device. They have been testing it (and not for as long as some people would have you believe, probably since March) and it will get pushed as soon as it passes testing. It is not being held back for any other reason. Yes they are freaking slow with their testing, I will give you that, but they didn't "accidentally" become the biggest, most reliable carrier with the biggest network and most monies in their pockets. They have a system, it works, its slow, but hey, deal with it. Or unlock and root your phone and don't wait.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Of course it doesn't.. Any OTA the Nexus ever receives is going to be an updated android version. No "bug fix" OTA's. Verizon does not plan or write or contribute to the the Nexus' updates in any way. Other phones can get bug fix updates that don't change their android version, Nexus updates are going to be updated android versions.. its a very specific difference. Google and Samsung write the update.

And for the 900 millionth time.... Verizon hasn't purposefully shelved or delayed or postponed any update to this device. They have been testing it (and not for as long as some people would have you believe, probably since March) and it will get pushed as soon as it passes testing. It is not being held back for any other reason. Yes they are freaking slow with their testing, I will give you that, but they didn't "accidentally" become the biggest, most reliable carrier with the biggest network and most monies in their pockets. They have a system, it works, its slow, but hey, deal with it. Or unlock and root your phone and don't wait.
    Unfortunately, I think some view the whole testing process as nothing more than a delay tactic.

Maybe they found something that actually needed fixin'. Surely some bugs are actual show-stoppers and need an extra run through engineering, which creates a whole 'nother round of testing with a new kernel settled on and etc. etc.

Or it could be that east-coast Verizon, being a massive corporate behemoth, probably has a huge corporate environment that moves and turns slowly like a big dinosaur.

Do we have a 4.0.5 feature list yet?
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

Quote Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
    Maybe they found something that actually needed fixin'. Surely some bugs are actual show-stoppers and need an extra run through engineering, which creates a whole 'nother round of testing with a new kernel settled on and etc. etc.

Or it could be that east-coast Verizon, being a massive corporate behemoth, probably has a huge corporate environment that moves and turns slowly like a big dinosaur.

Do we have a 4.0.5 feature list yet?
    We dont even have an official announcement afaik. And from what I've read it seems the next ota is going to be 4.0.4 (yeah the one that was leaked in Feb.), not 4.0.5.

I get this, however this is a 4.0.x patch, not a 4.x.x patch, and those patches are essentially bug fixes for android. So yes, it is a bug fix patch, just not a Verizon one. And if Verizon has indeed had this package since February, then (and no disrespect meant here) I could care less what you nor anyone else has to say about Verizon, they are slow boating this update. 3 months is an eternity in the digital age, especially the cell phone age. The absolute least they could do is release some information on why their QoS testing is taking 3 months for an update they didn't write, and dont even have to push.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

We dont even have an official announcement afaik. And from what I've read it seems the next ota is going to be 4.0.4 (yeah the one that was leaked in Feb.), not 4.0.5.

I get this, however this is a 4.0.x patch, not a 4.x.x patch, and those patches are essentially bug fixes for android. So yes, it is a bug fix patch, just not a Verizon one. And if Verizon has indeed had this package since February, then (and no disrespect meant here) I could care less what you nor anyone else has to say about Verizon, they are slow boating this update. 3 months is an eternity in the digital age, especially the cell phone age. The absolute least they could do is release some information on why their QoS testing is taking 3 months for an update they didn't write, and dont even have to push.
    No offense taken (thanks for clarifying)...

We do not know whether our next update will be 4.0.4 or 4.0.5, anyone claiming one thing or the other without offering you some pretty convincing proof (and 'My buddy who knows a guy who delivers mail for a dude whose cousin works at Verizon said...' is NOT convincing, lol) is just wasting everyone's time

I get what your saying regarding patches and the like, but that's not exactly what it is. When Google does work on the source code it alters the OS and creates, essentially, a new OS. They don't do work in patches, they create updated versions of the system. The version number whether is 4.x.x or 4.0.x shouldn't be seen as the big factor. 4.0.3 contained many of the OS improvements over 4.0.2. In comparison, 4.0.4 is a relatively smaller update, and current rumors (again, just rumors, who knows?) suggest that 4.0.5 will similarly be a smallish type upgrade over 4.0.4... though obviously it ought to seem great for anyone still running 4.0.2, lol. Radio improvements along the way are obviously an important aspect, and again, have to be tested thoroughly by Verizon's policies.

I fully agree it sucks how long Verizon takes with their testing process... but that's how they operate and its always been that way, and its the price you pay for running a Nexus on their network.

And just because some other phone might ship with or update to say 4.0.3 before our Nexii get it pushed does not signify the death of the Nexus line as some out here are claiming. 1 year from now your Nexus will be further along than any other phones available now and it will still have updates on the horizon while those other phones are considered EOL.

Quote Originally Posted by svfd757 View Post
    Typical Verizon. A friend of mine went to VZW to look at the GNEX as I told him what an awesome phone this is. He was redirected towards the DROID line of phones. When I purchased my GNEX on the day it came out they tried to push me into the RAZR. They even went as far as to call the GNEX a "turd phone" and laugh. After speaking with a friend that works there, the verizon associates receive a greated amount of commission for selling a DROID branded device. Verizon will never support the GNEX like they do the DROID line. This much is very apparent to me and now everyone.
    I had a similar thing happen when I called to upgrade my phone. The rep kept asking my why I wanted the Nexus and tried to get me to go with a Razr MAXX instead. Even though I was persistent in stating I wanted the Nexus he kept going on and on about how much better the MAXX was. I finally told him to shut up and work with me on getting the phone I wanted or I would hang up, call back in and speak with a manager to get what I wanted and file a complaint about him.

True . When I got my nexus the sales rep bent over backwards pushing the razr. Finally told her I want the nexus. No real problems here except with the signal. Oh yeah went back to get my extended battery and was talking to the manager and he stated that I made the right choice.lol

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by only1canoli View Post
    True . When I got my nexus the sales rep bent over backwards pushing the razr. Finally told her I want the nexus. No real problems here except with the signal. Oh yeah went back to get my extended battery and was talking to the manager and he stated that I made the right choice.lol
    Fortunately, I didn't have to deal with that type of attitude. The sales guy that I purchased mine from what excited for the Nexus too. He was just disappointed that the management at his store had forbid the employees from purchasing it the first month that it was out.
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

No offense taken (thanks for clarifying)...

We do not know whether our next update will be 4.0.4 or 4.0.5, anyone claiming one thing or the other without offering you some pretty convincing proof (and 'My buddy who knows a guy who delivers mail for a dude whose cousin works at Verizon said...' is NOT convincing, lol) is just wasting everyone's time

I get what your saying regarding patches and the like, but that's not exactly what it is. When Google does work on the source code it alters the OS and creates, essentially, a new OS. They don't do work in patches, they create updated versions of the system. The version number whether is 4.x.x or 4.0.x shouldn't be seen as the big factor. 4.0.3 contained many of the OS improvements over 4.0.2. In comparison, 4.0.4 is a relatively smaller update, and current rumors (again, just rumors, who knows?) suggest that 4.0.5 will similarly be a smallish type upgrade over 4.0.4... though obviously it ought to seem great for anyone still running 4.0.2, lol. Radio improvements along the way are obviously an important aspect, and again, have to be tested thoroughly by Verizon's policies.

I fully agree it sucks how long Verizon takes with their testing process... but that's how they operate and its always been that way, and its the price you pay for running a Nexus on their network.

And just because some other phone might ship with or update to say 4.0.3 before our Nexii get it pushed does not signify the death of the Nexus line as some out here are claiming. 1 year from now your Nexus will be further along than any other phones available now and it will still have updates on the horizon while those other phones are considered EOL.

Okay, I see what you are saying here, thanks for making it more clear.

I still see the small updates as "bug fixes" only because there's essentially no major changes other than just that in most of the 0.0.x builds, but I see what you're saying.

Regardless, the nexus has been waiting a long time for an update for some pretty glaring bugs. I still see no excuse for the amount of time they have been "testing" the update. How many updates has the Razr gotten again? Sure, different phone by a different company, but they need to go through the same testing routine as any other phone.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

I still see the small updates as "bug fixes" only because there's essentially no major changes other than just that in most of the 0.0.x builds, but I see what you're saying.

Regardless, the nexus has been waiting a long time for an update for some pretty glaring bugs. I still see no excuse for the amount of time they have been "testing" the update. How many updates has the Razr gotten again? Sure, different phone by a different company, but they need to go through the same testing routine as any other phone.
    Right, and therein lies the rub: the razr may have gotten a couple bug fix patches, but it is still running the same version of android (2.3.6 right? Not important..) as when it shipped. The bug fix patches may be somewhat quicker to approve as well. Any update to the nexus will be an upgraded android version.. So it's (hopefully) easier to understand why these updates are different, and perhaps why the approval process may be more time-consuming.

Verizon also theoretically works more closely with the manufacturers on bug fix patches.. Simply because it can, and that involvement can favor quicker approval of those patches for pushing. While on the flip side, they have pretty much no say in what goes into a nexus update. That's handled almost 100% by Google and Samsung... Which is nice for us for a lot of reasons.. But crappy because it means Verizon will require longer to test the updates before pushing them out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I to love to have the latest and greatest, but haven't had any major problems with this phone. Yes I would love a louder speaker, but i worked around that. Yeah it sucks to have to download an app or root to "fix" what some think should come right out of the box, but for me thats part of the advantages of android. I would rather wait for an update that takes some time rather than pushed fast and pay later situation. I have not rooted, my GPS doesn't lock quick but I don't really use it. I'm sure Verizon is aware that most people are using smartphones and there is a reason why we buy them, after all they are a business and I'm sure they know there are forums like this one and others with many enthusiasts, fans or what not that buy a certain phone for some reason. I love this phone, I have great service and I have had a great experience with Verizon. Years back I was given a brand new iPhone on att, but there was no service in my house. I had a Verizon phone next to that iPhone on att and i had full bars. that is what is important for me. In most situations when I see a concern or a complaint about a device on here, people r more than happy to help and in most situations the problem(s) r fixed. Countless times on every android forum I have read comments the minute a new device comes out it is almost posted that day "when is the next update coming out?" I'm sure there is legit reasons on the wait but wouldn't it suck so early in android development that they ran out of desserts to send? Anything massed produced is never infallable.if you're not happy with Verizon or the gnex switch devices or carriers, I'm sure with in a week you'll be posting in another forum........ this is my two cents if it matters.... not attacking just sharing. We all have our opinions.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

You're talking about a phone that has an OS that's over a year old. Any updates that it receives have been out, at minimum, since September 2011 or earlier. The likelihood of any show-stopping bugs in those updates are slim to none. If anything, the only thing to be tested with them is any updated radios. The situations are not remotely comparable.

Seems this thread should have been posted somewhere else.