Google Maps/Navigation no longer speaking street names

ByteMaster0

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was using Navigation today, and noticed that it no longer speaks street names; just "go straight, turn left, turn right." Did Google mess up their app with the latest update? I have not changed *any* of my TTS systems, which I know can cause problems. Stock 4.0.2, no root, thinking of clearing data/cache for the app itself, but wanted to see if I'm the only one with this issue before I do so. Anyone else have this problem? Connectivity, etc., are all good.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was using Navigation today, and noticed that it no longer speaks street names; just "go straight, turn left, turn right." Did Google mess up their app with the latest update? I have not changed *any* of my TTS systems, which I know can cause problems. Stock 4.0.2, no root, thinking of clearing data/cache for the app itself, but wanted to see if I'm the only one with this issue before I do so. Anyone else have this problem? Connectivity, etc., are all good.

My Navigation App does still speak the street name
For example it says "Turn left onto Jones Road "
Have you tried reseting data and cache in your Navigation App yet ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2.0.2

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me at night, out was in a different voice as well, I thought it was a new update. And instead of "turn left" or whatever, it have a series of beeps telling me when to turn. It was scary because it was so quiet. :what:

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

srfoot

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
This started today when I used navigation. It would say Turn left, turn right, etc. but would not give street names,etc.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
You may have temporarily lost data, therefore it wouldn't be able to announce the street names, I have had this happen before.

But it doesn't just not announce names, it is like it's a different version of it. The voice is even different.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

ntamez

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I have this same issue after the latest google maps update. It just said, turn left, turn right etc. When I uninstalled the app (which really just downgraded the app) it went back to saying the street names. I never messed with any TTS stuff either.

Anyone have any ideas?

ByteMaster0

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Those of you who also have this problem, does wiping cache and data fix it? I haven't had a chance to try this yet. If it doesn't fix it, we need to bug Google about it. Any updates?

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, I flash roms alot, so my stuff gets wiped alot sometimes. It's a random thing that happens, one second its normal navigation, next it's like TomTom, quiet and with a semi-European voice. I don't think wiping has anything to do with it, I think it's something with the app.

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
It's not just on the Galaxy Nexus the same thing happened on my Galaxy Tab also.

You guys need to download an app from Google, clear data on maps and navigation and when you use it again it will promp you to download it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

nailzUK

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Had this on my sgs2, most of the time it's the terrible tts voice, then occasionally an American sounding male voice. Strange.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me this weekend. Vaguely ambiguous "Turn Right/Left" commands in a different voice. I have SVOX classic installed with the English Victoria voice and it wasn't being used. I changed my settings to use the standard TTS voice and still no street names. Hope this gets some attention.

TJH

Cherylgrrl

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I noticed this topic on the forum a couple of days ago, and this morning it happened to me too! I know it was working correctly last week when I was on a long trip and I really relied on those turn by turn instructions. If anyone investigates this further, it would be good to hear what is going on. I'm a little afraid to start messing around without understanding the problem.