Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hkklife
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Keep the Nexus or take the free razr Maxx?

So I have been on the VZW Nexus since its release date, and while it was a huge learning curve, I cant say I really dislike it for any reason other than battery.
    I have already bought the extended life NFC battery and Im using juice defender ultimate and still killing a battery in way less than a day doing normal stuff. no WIFI or hotspot.

I have an offer on the table to take a brand new razr maxx (with blank sim card) and just sell my G-NEX on the open market. and give my friend the profit from the nex.

what would you do?

Im not rooted, but love ICS. I know its only about 3 weeks away on the razr.

Default Re: Keep the Nexus or take the free razr Maxx?

I would rather not have a phone I can't do a battery pull on. I also prefer to have 2 batteries one always on a charger ready for use. I can't stand being tethered to an outlet or external battery.

I am hoping this case will fix my battery issues:

ROM
    JellyBeans

If you friend will let you......use the Maxx for a week before you decide, then you know what phone best suits you. That way no blind decisions.
    Sent Via..Raven from Kings Landing
    BB Storm 1 > Samsung Droid Charge > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Samsung Galaxy Note II & LG G Pad 8.3

Global Posts
    630 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I would rather not have a phone I can't do a battery pull on. I also prefer to have 2 batteries one always on a charger ready for use. I can't stand being tethered to an outlet or external battery.

If I'm not mistaken, the razr maxx has a removable battery. It's the original razr that doesn't.
    Sony Xperia Z1s
    Nexus 7 2012 (16GB)

Global Posts
    11,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by luke31 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the razr maxx has a removable battery. It's the original razr that doesn't.
    Both have non-removeable batteries.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by luke31 View Post
    No, you are mistaken. They are both identical and have fixed, sealed batteries. Well, it IS technically possible to dismantle the phone and remove the battery but it is designed to be a sealed, non-user-accessible item.

I would personally do the swap for a Maxx if the RF performance, battery life, and build quality of the Gznex bother or disturb you. Otherwise, might as well stick with the newer OS and the bigger 720p screen of the GNex.
    Thanked by:
    quikric likes this.

I would LOVE to trade my nexus for the maxx, seriously. I am jealous.

My fiance switched to the Maxx after a few months of replacing her GNex constantly. She absolutely loves it. I have played with it quite a bit over the last month, so i've had a whole lot of time to compare the two.

What I personally took from my experiences are:

Pros:
    -The more minimal power consumption (and smart actions) make the already big battery a beast, she has yet to run it all the way down in a day. (she's a very big texter and game player)
    -Signal is amazing. In certain areas she/I had little or no signal with a GNex, she has mainly has four bars now with her Razr.
    -Noise cancelling is outstanding.
    -Build Quality, it just feels solid.

Cons:
    -Bloatware
    -Bloatware (the size is so nice, I listed it twice)
    -Motoblur
    -The phone feels more choppy.
    -The screen isn't quite up to the GNex quality
    -Non-removable battery, although there is a button-combo reset.
    -Gingerbread
    -Slow charge time, as one would expect from that big of a battery.

Notes:
    I haven't had a chance to try out Webtop or any of the mounts, so I have no opinion there.
    I also don't live within 200 miles of 4g so that could be relevant to my findings.

Keep in mind, this is just my experience and opinions alone. I'm sure others can/will argue several points.
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ScottiePP7 View Post
    I would LOVE to trade my nexus for the maxx, seriously. I am jealous.
    craigslist is your friend.

I like the idea about usign it for a week and seeing if you can deal. i would have a hard time going back to a gingerbread phone after using ICS.

as for the razr ICS update in 3 weeks...dont hold your breath. i have dealt with the Motorola update and i have learned to just overlook anything in the forums and believe it when the update happens. (see Droid X GB update)

and i would say just get another battery. swap it in when you need to. would take like 30 seconds from start to finish.
    juice defender may be doing more harm than good.
    root and ROM. i easily got though an entire day with my stock battery. (entire day for me = 7am-12pm)

This really interests me. If it does work well, I may just buy one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sock-Monkey Pete View Post
    This really interests me. If it does work well, I may just buy one myself.
    I won't get it till around May 20th but these are supposed to have an on/off switch so you can decide when to start charging the internal battery.

After I get it I will post pics and a review of my findings.
    Thanked by:

I own both and the RAZR MAXX is a much better experience than the GN. I highly recommend the RAZR MAXX over the GN. Now the GN may be a better phone once there is an update and the current bugs are fixed.

What the heck is that, a battery built into the case? If it is, would your phone use both batteries? Is that even for the Verizon GN? A little confused here.

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

What the heck is that? It looks like it would make the phone huge

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5
    Always remember to wipe your Davlik!!!

It adds less thickness than the 3800mAh extended battery does without a case and nets u over 4000mAh. On paper is seems great IMO but we will see how the real world experience is.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    So I have been on the VZW Nexus since its release date, and while it was a huge learning curve, I cant say I really dislike it for any reason other than battery.
    I have already bought the extended life NFC battery and Im using juice defender ultimate and still killing a battery in way less than a day doing normal stuff. no WIFI or hotspot.

I have an offer on the table to take a brand new razr maxx (with blank sim card) and just sell my G-NEX on the open market. and give my friend the profit from the nex.

what would you do?

Im not rooted, but love ICS. I know its only about 3 weeks away on the razr.
    Keep the GN. If you are a forum addict, this forum is the best. Lotsa new threads and posts. Really entertaining.
    Seen the maxx forum? Its dead in there. Can see some tumbleweeds rolling around. A new thread every other day and new posts every 12 hours? Nah.

Take the Maxx, I promise you'll never look back

Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    ROM

I vote for keep the Nexus

Played around with a MAXX for a week and was not impressed (with the interface or the screen, loved the battery)

I also dislike the way Motorola handles its business (Razr to Razr MAXX to Razr Developer's Edition to Razr HD, even a moron like me could guess a Razr MAXX HD is en route)
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'd take the MAXX in a heartbeat if it had a better screen and better design. Mostly better screen. The battery life on that thing makes me so jealous.
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,602 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    Keep the GN. If you are a forum addict, this forum is the best. Lotsa new threads and posts. Really entertaining.
    Seen the maxx forum? Its dead in there. Can see some tumbleweeds rolling around. A new thread every other day and new posts every 12 hours? Nah.
    Development and support is way better for the nexus. It gets great battery life once you take the unlock/root plunge.

Dropped from LiquidNexus1.35 via Xparent Tapatalk2
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

I was offered the same, except through Verizon direct.

I chose the Nexus. The development is phenomenal, I like the device itself, and I haven't had any big, repeated issues.

If it's something you don't want, swap. It's just a phone, not a matter of life or death .