Messaging App Icon Opens Last Used App Instead!

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Wow.. I remember seeing this problem back on G1... and it's stipp happening in Android 4.02? :eek:

Sometimes, when pressing the green stock Messaging icon, it will open the browser instead, or Rhapsody, or a game, or whatever other app I had recently been using. I cannot literally not access the Messaging app. The only way I can resolve this is by:

1. Press the Recent Apps button and swipe all the apps off the screen, or
  2. Go into a Contact directly and send an SMS from there.

Anyone know a fix for this other than using another messaging app. I prefer the stock app but I hate that this glitch is still occurring 4 years later!!!

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Yep - same problem here - STOCK Nexus and it happens with my GO SMS Icon... I read that it seemed to be a caching program.... By chance, is the messaging icon the most frequently used icon for you?

Thanks,

Matt!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Wow.. I remember seeing this problem back on G1... and it's stipp happening in Android 4.02? :eek:

Sometimes, when pressing the green stock Messaging icon, it will open the browser instead, or Rhapsody, or a game, or whatever other app I had recently been using. I cannot literally not access the Messaging app. The only way I can resolve this is by:

1. Press the Recent Apps button and swipe all the apps off the screen, or
  2. Go into a Contact directly and send an SMS from there.

Anyone know a fix for this other than using another messaging app. I prefer the stock app but I hate that this glitch is still occurring 4 years later!!!

I haven't experienced that problem on my phone.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
The problem is that I don't know what sequence of my actions causes it. I have tried to replicate it but can't. But then suddenly boom, it will happen when I least need it to happen. And if I keep clicking the Back button, I will cycle through all of my history of apps that I have used. I'm not sure how back the history goes, but I have actually backed into up to 20 previous apps, and the Messenger app is nowhere to be found.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that I don't know what sequence of my actions causes it. I have tried to replicate it but can't. But then suddenly boom, it will happen when I least need it to happen. And if I keep clicking the Back button, I will cycle through all of my history of apps that I have used. I'm not sure how back the history goes, but I have actually backed into up to 20 previous apps, and the Messenger app is nowhere to be found.

Good call on on the back history observation. I have noticed that as well.

Strange problem, indeed.

I am assuming that you are talking about the STOCK messaging app, correct?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

When you check the back history is the messenger app the active window?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but it shows a screen shot of the imposter app, although it says "Messenger".

Yes this is the stock Messenger app...

I might be wrong, but from what I can tell, the active window that is open doesn't show up in the recent history.

Have you tried doing a factory reset?

jansenma

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I've had this happen a couple of times on Galaxy Nexus using GoSMS. If you first click on the icon and are persistent with hitting the back button, eventually GoSMS will show up again. I'm assuming this will work for default messaging app too. Definitely needs a fix !

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me until I started using Nova Launcher and Apex Launcher (I'm currently using Nova). It does appear to be an issue with the history stack.

All I can recommend is switching launchers, although I was able to fix the issue myself by uninstalling the affected apps, then rebooting and re-installing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12