Does 4.0.4 Improve Camera?

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Would like to know if the update fixes the awful indoor quality when taking pictures. What about focusing when recording videos? Does it do it automatically or can you tap the screen to focus at will?
I'm hoping its the latter.

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I havent noticed a huge difference when upgrading to 4.0.4

I do notice with the HDR app that image quality is significantly boosted

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Would like to know if the update fixes the awful indoor quality when taking pictures. What about focusing when recording videos? Does it do it automatically or can you tap the screen to focus at will?
I'm hoping its the latter.

Software can't fix substandard optics or sensors.

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Software can't fix substandard optics or sensors.

My Bionic no longer auto focuses on its own after the update. I tap to focus and I prefer it that way.
As for quality, it handled darker settings better.
So it looked like an update DID make a difference.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The biggest issue I have seen with the camera is terrible white balance when flash is used. That is fixable in software.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
My Bionic no longer auto focuses on its own after the update. I tap to focus and I prefer it that way.
As for quality, it handled darker settings better.
So it looked like an update DID make a difference.

We know that Motorola's phones have generally poor camera software and drivers. The reason the bionic got better was because they incorporated the razr's software, which was much much better.

We also know that the nexus has a subpar sensor and optics. Those cannot be fixed with an update.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Well at least to me, focusing seems to be improved. That being said I've always been able to get some rather decent indoor and night shots, but it's still a hit and miss.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I understand this doesn't fix the stock camera issue but there are many camera apps available on Google play. I think one of the best is HDR camera+ its on ive seen recommended the most.

Dropped from LiquidNexus1.35 via Xparent Tapatalk2

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
IMO, 4.0.4 DID imporve quality a little....sure software cant fix mediocre lens/optics but it can help quality. i always thought prior to the update, the pics came out a little "soft". using the stock image editor to sharpen the images about 15% helped the image quite a bit.

as for the video tap to focus, that is a no go. taping the screen during a video only takes a picture. i dont take many videos with the nexus, so i cannot comment on video quality

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, guys. I do use HDR Camera and its great but still doesn't look up to par when shooting indoors. Both stock and HDR seem to have a problem capturing clear, sharp images in normal light.
Looks like it will be an issue I have to live with.