Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts

Default Re: Not a "real Nexus?" WTF?

I will also add...

What Google calls a Nexus for retail purposes and and whats listed for development....combine that and the CDMA Nexus is still and always gonna be a Nexus. App developers is never listed, but a Nexus is a development phone if you want a device for that purpose.

We kinda got away from what they advertize to the general public. Cant forget that.

Like Ry mentioned a few pages back.....does this mean the Nexus One is no longer a Nexus? Or that the ADP 1 and 2 are no longer development phones?

Building for devices | Android Open Source

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    So no one thinks it's weird that the GSM Nexus is sold by Google and actually says Google on the phone, yet the CDMA versions aren't sold by Google and have carrier branding instead of Google's?

That isn't odd to anyone besides me? Lol erm ok.
    CDMA issues, licenses is the reason....I think this has been explained already..... even by a couple of Google folks, folks that work at Google, on Android. Jean-Baptiste Queru and Dan Morrill explained this aready.

Yea...this is gonna be one of those agree to disagree moments...lol.
    Last edited by jroc; 05-13-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Johnly likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,745 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Yea...this is gonna be one of those agree to disagree moments...lol.
    This is one of those "one group is totally right, while the other group is totally wrong" -moments.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts

Just realized something...the XOOM is ....never...listed.....as ....or ...advertized as....a Nexus....tablet.

Yet its there listed as a supported device in AOSP.

The ADP One and Two....never listed as Nexus devices. But are listed as development phones.

S E M A N T I C S.......
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,745 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Pi View Post
    I'm sure the group that's totally right is the group of posters that don't use a Nexus, but come in here to stir the pot. There's only two groups here. Outside trolls, and Nexus users who want to argue about whose expectations were/are more realistic. People are trying to bring facts into it, but all of these arguments are about expectations.
    Cool. Let's all call people trolls because opinions differ.

You don't have to own a Nexus to know what a Nexus phone is.

"People are trying to bring in facts." lol.

Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Ry

Global Posts
    8,745 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Pi View Post
    If you have no real reason to be in an internet forum, but go there simply to argue your different opinion over opinions of the rightful inhabitants of the group, what are you generally called?

And Ry? Don't use quotations marks unless you get the quote correct.
    lol.

Everyone that doesn't have a Nexus - stop posting here. Apparently we're not allowed to have opinions and post facts.

I know that the Galaxy Nexus for Verizon is real Nexus device.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    lol.

Everyone that doesn't have a Nexus - stop posting here. Apparently we're not allowed to have opinions and post facts.

More like-we don't care about them, especially since more than a few of you seem hell bent on tearing down the Nexus every chance you get.

I'll just quote the following for all to ponder... Those in question can make up their own minds on what could happen if any of the following continues...

Taken from our Forum Rules page.

We may send you a warning, an infraction, or ban your account depending on your length of membership, severity of the violation, and previous violations:
    • Personal Attacks - Constructive discussions, debates and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to neither criticize nor insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If your are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic; you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move along to another thread.
    • Trolling - Do not post inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages to provoke users into responding in a negative way. Calling another member a troll is also a form of trolling.
    • Taking Threads Off Topic (aka Thread Crapping) - While the interplay of a conversation in the forums will naturally wander; members must not intentionally derail a thread from its original topic.

That is all... Enjoy the rest of your evening.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by 5:

ROM
    Eclipse

I think we've become a little spoiled when it comes to the definition of "Nexus". It's great to term a phone with every ideal feature of a power user, but that's just not it.

Would you consider a Nexus One a Nexus phone? I would, regardless of what current version of Android it's running.

A Nexus phone is simply one with the "Google Experience". Meaning AOSP (nevermind which version), and no additional carrier addons.

But then LG goes along and releases a vanilla Android phone, wouldn't that be considered a "Nexus"? Not if it doesn't have Google's blessing. "Nexus" is after all, just marketing.

These Nexus phones are aimed at developers and those who like to tinker. I'm really shocked that people expect Google to release the "nightly" updates to their Nexus phone. They use their reference Nexus phone for the next build, release the code, and then it's up to the one that maintains updates on your phone to push them out ...whether that be a carrier, the phone manufacturer, or simply developers.

If you want 4.0.4 on the Nexus S, go build it, and flash away. Nobody is stopping you. Who seriously wants cutting edge, only to wait a year later for it to be "officially" released.

ROM
    AOKP JB Build 3

Nexus=Core, or Center.

Clearly it is a "Nexus" because it happens to be at the core, or center of the Android Universe by being the best, most well rounded phone on the market currently.
    Unlock, Root, Unleash.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymoon View Post
    I think we've become a little spoiled when it comes to the definition of "Nexus". It's great to term a phone with every ideal feature of a power user, but that's just not it.

Would you consider a Nexus One a Nexus phone? I would, regardless of what current version of Android it's running.

A Nexus phone is simply one with the "Google Experience". Meaning AOSP (nevermind which version), and no additional carrier addons.
    Is that Google's definition of the Nexus? If not, then the above is simply your opinion and personal definition of what you'd like a Nexus phone to be.
    But then LG goes along and releases a vanilla Android phone, wouldn't that be considered a "Nexus"? Not if it doesn't have Google's blessing. "Nexus" is after all, just marketing.
    Only if Google branded that phone as being a Nexus. The Motorola Xoom was vanilla Honeycomb, but it was never branded a Nexus device.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    Is that Google's definition of the Nexus? If not, then the above is simply your opinion and personal definition of what you'd like a Nexus phone to be.

Only if Google branded that phone as being a Nexus. The Motorola Xoom was vanilla Honeycomb, but it was never branded a Nexus device.
    And the Xoom was, oddly enough, a Google Experience device. It just didn't have the nexus name attached to it.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    And the Xoom was, oddly enough, a Google Experience device. It just didn't have the nexus name attached to it.
    That's pretty much what I said.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    That's pretty much what I said.

Well, I mean, a device can be stock without being a Google Experience device.

Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Also the original droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

I think the Verizon Galaxy WAS INTENDED to be a Nexus device...but...Perhaps Andy Rubin, the founder of Android, put it best. Google consciously chose to make Nexus 4 a device without LTE. They did so because, in their own words, they wanted to be free from carrier controls.

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GimbalLocker View Post
    I think the Verizon Galaxy WAS INTENDED to be a Nexus device...but...Perhaps Andy Rubin, the founder of Android, put it best. Google consciously chose to make Nexus 4 a device without LTE. They did so because, in their own words, they wanted to be free from carrier controls.
    Way to resurrect a dead thread.

Besides, this debate was put to pasture a long time ago. As everyone should know by now, the Verizon Wireless Galaxy Nexus is indeed a real Nexus. It just doesn't get updates unless you're rooted, it shipped with big and ugly carrier branding, It features carrier apps and carrier modifications - such as the removal of Google Wallet, and Android Central stuck this forum in the "other Samsung devices" section instead of the Google Nexus section.

But besides those things I listed - It's a real Nexus. After all, it's right there in the name. I mean what more proof do you really need? It's a real Nexus, just like all of us Verizon customers wanted, but it helps to ignore all of the things I listed above and don't pay attention to the experience other Nexus devices offer.
    Ry, Topgonzo and Laineyc like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Bottom line its not the phone or the fact we have lte. Its vzw fault plain and simple.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    AOKP

It bothers me such much that you have to go on a manhunt to find this forum now
    nothing nothing nothing
    cabiggs152 likes this.

Way to resurrect a dead thread.

Besides, this debate was put to pasture a long time ago. As everyone should know by now, the Verizon Wireless Galaxy Nexus is indeed a real Nexus. It just doesn't get updates unless you're rooted, it shipped with big and ugly carrier branding, It features carrier apps and carrier modifications - such as the removal of Google Wallet, and Android Central stuck this forum in the "other Samsung devices" section instead of the Google Nexus section.

But besides those things I listed - It's a real Nexus. After all, it's right there in the name. I mean what more proof do you really need? It's a real Nexus, just like all of us Verizon customers wanted, but it helps to ignore all of the things I listed above and don't pay attention to the experience other Nexus devices offer.
    A more succinct way to put it would be:
    Yes it's a real Nexus, but not all Nexi are created equally.

This phone has been over for a long long time. That's why we have to resurrect dead threads, just to talk about it.

When I was doing research on phones, all the reviews of the Galaxy Nexus focused on the "pure Google experience" of the Nexus. Not that I knew WTF that meant, but if I did, and got a GNex from Verizon with all the modifications, I'd feel jipped. It would be like if Ford started selling Prius but removed the hybrid battery, and also put in a Ford radio and that strange drive system they have in the Focus. Yeah, its not a real Prius at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollster View Post
    A more succinct way to put it would be:
    Yes it's a real Nexus, but not all Nexi are created equally.
    But, you could go with the "it is a Nexus, but not all Nexi are created equal" argument by looking at Calphalon and saying well, the Calphalon you get at Target or on Amazon is not the same as you'd get at a department or home goods store. Doesn't make it not Calphalon, just not the same quality.

Though I think the Prius analogy is more suitable to this situation.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    Though I think the Prius analogy is more suitable to this situation.
    The Prius analogy is more accurate if you consider Fast Upgrades to be the Battery of the Nexus Experience. As a developer, I consider Stock Android as the battery, with fast upgrades being the backup camera at best. If a decent pool of devices gets a higher API level than I have, then I may start to agree with you, but it hasn't happened yet.

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

The Prius analogy is more accurate if you consider Fast Upgrades to be the Battery of the Nexus Experience. As a developer, I consider Stock Android as the battery, with fast upgrades being the backup camera at best. If a decent pool of devices gets a higher API level than I have, then I may start to agree with you, but it hasn't happened yet.
    Don't you have to root to have stock Android on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus? I am pretty sure that my Verizon would be considered a carrier modification. Can't be stock Android when you have carrier modifications and the verizon nexus has a few of them. Unless your definition of stock now includes modifications, which doesn't really work does it? I always thought the word stock meant free of modifications.

But then again, the Verizon Wireless Galaxy Nexus is a device that is all about creating new meanings to old words.

I think I would consider the hybrid battery to be the equivalent of the "pure android experience". People get a Prius because they want a hybrid (certainly not cause it is cool and stylish). People get the GNex because it isn't supposed to be modified. If the hybrid battery is removed, then it isn't a hybrid, and therefore, not a real Prius. If the carrier made modifications, then it isn't a pure Google product and therefore...

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    I think I would consider the hybrid battery to be the equivalent of the "pure android experience". People get a Prius because they want a hybrid (certainly not cause it is cool and stylish). People get the GNex because it isn't supposed to be modified. If the hybrid battery is removed, then it isn't a hybrid, and therefore, not a real Prius. If the carrier made modifications, then it isn't a pure Google product and therefore...
    True, but using the hybrid car and battery analogy, one could argue that the battery was not removed (as the Galaxy Nexus is running at the very least a close to stock experience), but rather altered slightly. Perhaps it's a Prius with a slightly smaller battery and reduced range (as Tesla has done with the two versions of the Model S). I would argue that this makes it a different kind of hybrid, but a hybrid nonetheless. Based on that logic, I would accept arguments for the Galaxy Nexus being a Nexus, but just a "different variety" of the Nexus. Perhaps it is alright to be a Nexus device, but just less of one?

Edit: by "pure android experience," are you referring to the "with Google" devices, or Nexus devices? (end edit)

I wanted to point that out. My personal opinion, however, is this:

The Galaxy Nexus runs a close-to-stock version of Android. It does not run TouchWiz, the overlay almost always included by the manufacturer who produced this device. Its updates are not pushed from Google directly and suffer from delays as a result of the Google/Verizon/Samsung interaction process. After comparing the Galaxy Nexus to the current Nexus 4, 7, and 10, as well as the current overall "image" of the Nexus line, I don't think the VZW Galaxy Nexus is a "true" Nexus device.

I do, however, think the GSM Galaxy Nexus is a "true" Nexus device. I don't think many people here are questioning that, but it's important to realize where the distinction lies between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumenii View Post
    True, but using the hybrid car and battery analogy, one could argue that the battery was not removed (as the Galaxy Nexus is running at the very least a close to stock experience), but rather altered slightly. Perhaps it's a Prius with a slightly smaller battery and reduced range (as Tesla has done with the two versions of the Model S). I would argue that this makes it a different kind of hybrid, but a hybrid nonetheless. Based on that logic, I would accept arguments for the Galaxy Nexus being a Nexus, but just a "different variety" of the Nexus. Perhaps it is alright to be a Nexus device, but just less of one?
    I can accept that logic. As for the "pure Google experience", that's how the reviews described it so I assume it meant completely stock Android with no modifications.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast