Not a "real Nexus?" WTF?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ah poor guy couldn't come up with an explanation for that one. Yep its Google's phone alright. Yet they don't put their name on it any where and they don't sell it themselves. Lol

See you had the phone I own confused with a GSM GALAXY Nexus. You know the Nexus that has "Google" on the back and is actually sold by Google and IS a development device. I know it's confusing.

Cool story, bro. You should tell Google to stop calling their phone a "Nexus".

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Again, It isn't their phone, It is Verizon's lol

Cool story, bro. You should tell Google to sue anyone that calls the Galaxy Nexus a Nexus phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Circles.

I don't think the "not a real Nexus" people are ever going to change.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't fit anyone's personal definition. None of the advantages of owning a Nexus are there except the removal of OEM skins. Lol Nexus used to mean the best of the best. Like Bold, You buy a Bold and you know it's the best BB available at the time. Didn't matter which carrier you bought it from. Now Nexus means Meh unless you are on GSM.

Does it fit your personal definition? If they had named a jitterbug a Nexus would you still like it? I guess so since it would be a Nexus right?

When people asked for a Nexus on VZW they wanted the benefits seen from the other GSM Nexus devices. Not just a name.

Yes sir it does 100% fit my definition, which you can find here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...297-what-does-nexus-mean-you.html#post1756914

Not going to argue further because anything else is just subjectivity.. If you define it differently then I'm not going to change your mind.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
So it's a development phone now? I just checked the list of officially supported Google development phones and there strangely is no mention of the CDMA devices any more.

Does this ean that the term nexus now applies to non development devices also? Lol This device is completely destroying what nexus used to mean.

No. It's a true Nexus. If you read instead of glanced at my aforementioned post, you wouldn't be asking that question.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Two Verizon apps. Can they not be disabled (forgive my ignorance, I haven't been stock in months)?

Let's face it, with carriers and their dominance it's hard for ANY phone to be a true Nexus device if it first goes through a carrier. Hence the GSM > LTE argument.

On top of that, the legal issues with licensing, signing off, and general intellectual property rights are highly complex in this area, mainly because the law is simply outdated, archaic, and generally inapplicable to the changing technological landscape. Hence the CDMA debacle that Jerry explained very nicely.
Yes they can,its been awhile since stock too but I remember that.This is the only vzw that I know you can do that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2.1.0

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes they can,its been awhile since stock too but I remember that.This is the only vzw that I know you can do that.

Just like most of the personalized definitions for what a Nexus is, for any of us to state as a fact that this phone is not a Nexus simply because it has VZW's account app and back up app is nothing more opinion.

Here is what is fact... Google has this phone classified as a Nexus. No matter anyone's opinion is on the matter, that is really all that it is... An opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree this phone is a Nexus.
I remember also before this phone was yet released people where asking about how and when it would obtain root and it was clearly explained here in AC that all Nexus phones can be unlocked by just a few commands.(also this fact was already mentioned in this thread by others)
What other vzw phone can you do that with?:)

and for those who think its not a Nexus well this video is "my opinion" as a response to them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkodTydUR0E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
Reactions: oxymoron

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
No. It's a true Nexus. If you read instead of glanced at my aforementioned post, you wouldn't be asking that question.

Ok so you agree it isn't a development phone? Read. What I put. The CDMA is:

1. Not a development phone (Google has flat out said it isn't)
2. Not a Google phone, not sold by them and it has carrier branding - unlike the GSM Nexus
3. True Nexus! By name only

LOL I remember people saying Ios fans would buy a brick with an Apple logo on it and love it. You all buy an everyday Android phone with Nexus on it and your in love. None of those differences are opinions. They are undeniable facts. The CDMA Nexus isn't the same as a GSM Nexus. Yet some how people keep calling it a true Nexus. :confused:

It cracks me up, I used to lie to myself so I would feel better about buying this phone also.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok so you agree it isn't a development phone? Read. What I put. The CDMA is:

1. Not a development phone (Google has flat out said it isn't)
2. Not a Google phone, not sold by them and it has carrier branding - unlike the GSM Nexus
3. True Nexus! By name only

LOL I remember people saying Ios fans would buy a brick with an Apple logo on it and love it. You all buy an everyday Android phone with Nexus on it and your in love. None of those differences are opinions. They are undeniable facts. The CDMA Nexus isn't the same as a GSM Nexus. Yet some how people keep calling it a true Nexus. :confused:

It cracks me up, I used to lie to myself so I would feel better about buying this phone also.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/android-contrib/phz3S5ZdveU

Key phrases from this post:
First, just to be clear this change is only related to AOSP support for these devices -- that is, personal custom builds. These are obviously still officially-supported Nexus devices for everyday use, they will receive official software updates, and so on. Similarly, these are still fully-supported development devices for app developers.

Second, as I noted at the top of the thread, Nexus devices will still have unlocked bootloaders, and we’ll continue to make available as many of the closed-source binaries as we can. CDMA support in AOSP has always been more challenging than GSM, and this change is a reflection of that reality.

On that topic, here’s a quick clarification on the core issue. Every device has a number of closed-source software packages included on it. Though Google distributes some of these binaries for Nexus devices for use with AOSP, Google does not own the software. Rather, this software is variously owned by the device manufacturer, the carrier, and their suppliers. We try to get distribution rights for as many of these binaries as possible, but in some cases it is difficult or impossible to obtain these rights. (CDMA specifically has a tricky history of intellectual property.) Combined with the technical issues of needing to sign the apks correctly, this has prevented us from obtaining the distribution rights we need to support these devices in AOSP.

So I ask this: which phone on Verizon and Sprint should one get if they are app developers and/or wanna work on the AOSP...with the least amount of obstacles...

In a few G Nex threads I and a few other ppl have always mentioned AOSP...and... app developers. I think some of us are defining what makes a Nexus a Nexus from our own perspective...and not the folks that work hard to bring us the Android goodness that we choose. Thats fine....our own perspective does define what we want, like, etc. But think about the bigger picture... app developers and ppl that wanna work on the AOSP, that also wanna use Verizon or Sprint as their carrier.

Last edited:
Reactions: oxymoron and Ry

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/android-contrib/phz3S5ZdveU

So I ask this: which phone on Verizon and Sprint should one get if they are app developers and/or wanna work on the AOSP...with the least amount of obstacles...

The Galaxy Nexus would be the best option I'm sure.

That doesn't change anything I said though. Which phone on Verizon and Sprint does Google list as an officially supported development device? Which phone does Google sell that will work on Verizon and Sprint? None of them.

I never said that the CDMA Nexus wasn't the best option on CDMA for developers. I'm just saying it isn't the same as owning the other real Nexus and it isn't what I and others wanted when we said we wanted a Nexus.

For one when I bought a Nexus I didn't think I would go nearly 6 months without a update on a buggy os with a ton of issues. Give it some more time and it may actually reach the 6 month mark. I also didn't expect to get ugly carrier branding that is impossible to remove by design. Seriously did they have to make 2 versions of the battery door just to make sure we couldn't switch it to the "Google" branded one.

In the end it is what it is and I'm just going in circles with it. A lot of people are convinced it is a real Nexus and a lot are convinced it isn't. All I know is the next time I buy a Nexus (if there is a next time) it will be GSM.

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Sez it in a pretty important place, on the splash screen.

So the OS is Google's. What does the OS have to do with whose phone it is? The Google phones usually have Google on the phone. Not exactly the same as a splash screen that is visible for all of 30 seconds.

Actually maybe that is why mine reboots so much. Maybe it's Google's way of reminding me that they had something to do with my phone. Lol

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So the OS is Google's. What does the OS have to do with whose phone it is? The Google phones usually have Google on the phone. Not exactly the same as a splash screen that is visible for all of 30 seconds.

Actually maybe that is why mine reboots so much. Maybe it's Google's way of reminding me that they had something to do with my phone. Lol

Mine only rebooted once the first week I had it.(bad app)I had it since launch day.
It hasnt rebooted since on its own.
Guess Google doesnt have to remind me :D

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Crazy... My Nexus doesn't say Google on it any where, yet It says Verizon.

I know it's a sexy device and all..... but if you really wanna see the "Google", you have to actually turn it on.

McSlappy

HINT: It's the first thing you see on the screen!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz