Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Default Re: Not a "real Nexus?" WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by martonikaj View Post
    Think you'd be hard pressed to get an on the record statement from someone at Google telling you what they define it as, if only to not start an amazing flame war (even worse than what's going on now!) from every single Galaxy Nexus owner.

I'd assume that the "purists" would say that a Nexus is a device which can get its fully functioning software compiled directly from AOSP/Google with no strings attached.

It of course hits a grey area because I'm sure Google would love to be able to freely distribute the CDMA/LTE radios if they could, but they simply aren't allowed to. Which then brings another, deeper grey area as to why they decided to try and make a "Nexus" on Verizon in the first place if they knew ahead of time that they wouldn't be able to distribute the radios.
    Actually, I believe there was a post by Jean-Baptiste Queru (actually a reply to a comment on one of this posts) on Google+ that there was an expectation that they would be able to freely distribute those proprietary radios but for whatever reason that deal was reneged on. Trying to find the comment but I'm fairly certain he said something to that effect. But it explains why they were able to release factory images and supported AOSP on CDMA devices before pulling it altogether.

EDIT: Actually it was a Google Group posting...

I'd been told that there wouldn't be any license issues, and I did all the ICS AOSP preparation work and testing based on that. Once there turned out to be license issues after all, after all the technical work had been done, I turned to investigating technical workarounds for the lack of licenses. That's when I started to bump into those CDMA-specific issues. Those issues mean that without the appropriate licenses the CDMA devices in AOSP are stuck in their current state, which is clearly not good enough to be realistically considered "supported".

JBQ
    Last edited by Mooem; 05-01-2012 at 04:04 AM.
    Thanked by:
    Droosh 

Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post

I'm definitely not bashing Android and singing the praises of Apple. I just don't understand why Samsung has to run it through Verizon when Apple doesn't.
    I have been thinking about this lately, Anyone have an idea why this is? Is it LTE causing the delay? The iPhone on Verizon has CDMA radios too... I know that supporting one version of the iPhone is alot easier than what has to be done with Android....just curious if anyone knows...or did I answer my own question..lol.

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    My short list definition of a nexus as follows.
    Easily unlocked and rooted
    Vanilla android
    No manufacturer skins
    No carrier bloatware(city I.D, Let's Golf, etc. I don't consider My Verizon bloatware. VZW backup assistant, toss up on that one.)
    People get all up in arms because the updates don't come right from Google. There is something about the keys to connect to the CDMA network that the carriers won't release. So Sprint and Verizon have to test and approve each update which will slow down the process compared to GSM phones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I would still add faster updates to the Android OS than other phones still tho to your list. And usually a Nexus has the latest, newest version of Android on it at launch.

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    An update can consist of 4 parts:
    system image
    boot image
    recovery image
    radio image

Google builds the system image, boot image, recovery image from their source code.

Samsung and Verizon build the radio image.

In the system image, there are a handful of files that need changed because the Nexus is on a CDMA network. Google does not have the required licenses to re-distribute these files, they must come from Samsung and Verizon.

Google has a penta-band unlocked reference device. They build a version of Android for it, and test on it. When it passes their testing, the update is ready as far as Google is concerned. Verizon and Samsung then take that update (probably in the form of source code, not zip files) and make the required changes to allow the Nexus to work on a CDMA network. When finished, they give the green light for the update to be distributed from Google's servers.

Take everything above, and apply it to LTE as well, since it's a very closed and proprietary standard.

Because these versions are different when built, they need a different version number. This is why the GSM Nexus and CDMA Nexus will never be on the same version.

4.0.4 is the current version of Android. Any fixes special or specific to the CDMA Nexus are not included -- because Google does not have license to include them.

4.0.5 (maybe) will be the version for CDMA. It will never be in AOSP, because it uses code that is not open source.

Now is the time to ask any other questions. I'll try to answer if I know the answer.

Thanks Jerry great explanation. I have to ask what that means for the Sprint Nexus as it's on 4.04?
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,517 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Well its hard to avoid when folks feel like posting same Ol crud over and over with out doing a search.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    How many members do we have? Nobody is forcing you to read these threads I hope.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

The truest form of the nexus experience can only be done through a non carrier branded GSM unit.

Wait a minute - someone brought this up earlier and I didn't see an answer... How does Apple work around this? Or doesn't it? I never recalled hearing about VZW/Sprint having any hands in the update process for iOS.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garment69 View Post
    The truest form of the nexus experience can only be done through a non carrier branded GSM unit.
    Agreed. I work in the business, and I sell enough GSM handsets vs CDMA handsets to operators and carriers to understand how much easier it is dealing with GSM. I own a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, but sell GSM Galaxy Nexus' all day. I don't really consider my Nexus to be a true Nexus since I still have to wait for Verizon's extremely long approval periods in order to get my updates (which is why I rooted and run Gummy), yet the GSM version gets their updates directly from Google, which was one of the main points of an unlocked true Nexus handset in the first place.

It sure doesn't "feel" like a Nexus. The fact that the Verizon version is plagued with a number of bugs and that they just refuse to release an update is enough for me to not believe it is a true Nexus device.

According to Jerry (great info there thanks!), all Verizon and Samsung have to take care of is the radio image. Which they haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph5150 View Post
    I've read many threads, most of them flaming one phone or another, but I've read many people writing that the Galaxy Nexus isn't a "real Nexus." Why the hell would people say that? This phone, which I recently upgraded to from a Rezound, is the best performing phone I've ever owned. Thoughts?
    Downgrade from the rezound and not a nexus. No aosp, not a nexus. It's quite simple, really.

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    ROM
    liquidsmooth

I love this phone it has problems yes (bad reception,bad speakers,bad camera,)but the community support on this device is amazing.I'm running 4.0.4 on it now if you root you can easely get this update so why all the fuss on the update?

Please tell me why the nexus from Google Store only has 16gb of storage while the verizon version had 32gb of storage? Also what else is different about the two phone that I should know about?
    rlb

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Still wondering why Apple doesn't have this problem with the iphone. Jerry, anyone?

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

So Jerry,
    if 4.0.5 gets pushed to our Nexus' that doesn't necessarily mean 4.0.5 WONT get pushed to AOSP correct?
    google could have a build with a couple extra features and bug fixes and label it 4.0.5 and get it into AOSP, but this 4.0.5 would obviously be different than verizons 4.0.5 update.

that is some good info though Jerry, hopefully people will start to understand why verizon it taking so long.

also, to the guy talking about getting iOS updates straight from apple. i am guessing it is because apple is closed source so the CDMA crap is not available to the public, where as with android, everything is available to the public...and verizon doesn't want that to get into the hands of the public. i am guessing this is the case, someone correct me if i am wrong.

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

Quote Originally Posted by rlb View Post
    Still wondering why Apple doesn't have this problem with the iphone. Jerry, anyone?
    see the last paragraph of the post above. it may be completely wrong, but that is my take and makes sense i my twisted mind

ROM
    AOSP 4.2.1

What I don't understand is why, if the radio image is what makes the rom proprietary, they don't just open source the rest of it??? I understand they can't just hand out the source to their CDMA img....if they did, people would hack their way into the network and get free voice, data, text, and god knows what else. But Honestly, if it's that big of a deal, then they should have aosp set up to download two things: android source code and a PRE-COMPILED radio img....you choose either gsm or cdma. If they don't want us building it, fine.....but I'm just getting sick & tired of all this fragmentation!!!! It's killing android, and it's killing the ideology of open source projects. It needs to be standardized, and the first thing carriers should be doing is not working on a total, complete rom....they should be working on the baseband first, and when it's done, upload the img to googe's aosp servers. This way we would all be able to work on aosp asap.....not wait 5 months for sprint to get off their lazy arses to update us "when they get around to it".....sorry...went on a tangent there. But I think I've made my point plenty clear. The easiest way to stop fragmebntation in this case would be to just give us that pre-built radio img as soon as it can be done so we can build the rest ourselves around it Honestly, we don't even need the rest of their rom....90% of the people who download it any way other than OTA directly on their phone will only be ripping the radio.img from the rom anyway to include with whatever other rom they are using at the time.
    Last edited by lightyear420; 05-01-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tailsthecat View Post
    Downgrade from the rezound and not a nexus. No aosp, not a nexus. It's quite simple, really.
    isn't it still built from AOSP though....just with the CDMA radios instead of GSM ones. makes it a nexus to me.
    rlb

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

So Verizon gives Apple their secret code? Couldn't the iphone be hacked to get that code?

Jerry, question on the LTE:

I had thought LTE was the next generation GSM? If it's locked/proprietary/licensed, then it would mean the days of unlocked phones are numbered?

This makes me sad

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

Quote Originally Posted by rlb View Post
    So Verizon gives Apple their secret code? Couldn't the iphone be hacked to get that code?
    honestly i have no clue...but my guess is NO. without Source code, you cannot get that code just from a radio image. again, i am no coding genius, it is just my understanding of how things work...it may be totally correct, it may be completely untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear420 View Post
    What I don't understand is why, if the radio image is what makes the rom proprietary, they don't just open source the rest of it??? I understand they can't just hand out the source to their CDMA img....if they did, people would hack their way into the network and get free voice, data, text, and god knows what else. But Honestly, if it's that big of a deal, then they should have aosp set up to download two things: android source code and a PRE-COMPILED radio img....you choose either gsm or cdma. If they don't want us building it, fine.....but I'm just getting sick & tired of all this fragmentation!!!! It's killing android, and it's killing the ideology of open source projects.
    If I follow what Jerry explained along with what JQB has commented on in his various Google postings, when it comes to the CDMA/LTE specific's its more than just the radio.img that gets changed up. I believe there are even edits that are made to the system image to support the custom (proprietary) radio.img.

If that is correct then that cancels out the possibility of AOSP supporting even the system image for the CDMA/LTE versions.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

The purpose or definition "if you will", of a Google Nexus phone is an Android smartphone produced by Google (in cooperation with hardware companies) and is meant to give the user the most "purest" or "fullfilling" android experience. The Google Nexus One, and the Nexus S did just that. Did the Galaxy Nexus? I have a Samsung Galaxy (epic 4g touch) phone and this is the fastest and most responsive phone I have ever owned. But seriously, who get's to decide if the phone is really a Nexus or not? In my opinion it's more of a Nexus then anything.
    Regards,

Steve A. Lea

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    If I follow what Jerry explained along with what JQB has commented on in his various Google postings, when it comes to the CDMA/LTE specific's its more than just the radio.img that gets changed up. I believe there are even edits that are made to the system image to support the custom (proprietary) radio.img.
    Google can't do it, but CM, AOKP, etc all can?

My impression has been that there are portions (beyond the radio image and RIL) that google can't distro source for (because of signing issues?) and so they've basically just dropped support for CDMA. While Apple says "we control it all, or it's nothing", Google is basically doing the same thing on the opposite extreme: "we distribute it all, or it's nothing."

BTW, 4.0.4 is a CDMA image (For sprint)

Why does Google have issues updating CDMA devices when Apple doesn't?
    LG Optimus V - CM 9.1 BobZ
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    I *think* the Nexus phones were designed solely to have a reference for application developers. A series of devices that all use the same, and most current, API level. The point release numbers just don't matter. What matters (to Google) is that software developers can buy a phone to use to build apps, so more people buy Android phones, and more people use Google search and GMail.
    Because of how they launched the Google Nexus One, I believe the Nexus line of devices were not just meant for developers but also for everyday consumers who preferred Google's definition of what the Android experience should be.

Google tried to market the device online and disrupt the way we buy phones.

By everyday experience, I don't mean the promise of (quick) updates. I'm referring to the everyday use of the device.

I see the Nexus brand as Google's Android user experience, in the same way I see MOTOBLUR as Motorola's, Sense as HTC's, and TouchWiz as Samsung's.

The Galaxy Nexus for Verizon will always be a Nexus device.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
    Google can't do it, but CM, AOKP, etc all can?
    Custom ROM makers just pull the radio images from the phone and incorporate it into their ROM. They don't write, compile or do anything new.

Google still does provide the binaries it can, like graphics and wifi, just not the radio.
    (bottom)
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast