Not a "real Nexus?" WTF?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've read many threads, most of them flaming one phone or another, but I've read many people writing that the Galaxy Nexus isn't a "real Nexus." Why the hell would people say that? This phone, which I recently upgraded to from a Rezound, is the best performing phone I've ever owned. Thoughts?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It's just a metaphysical viewpoint on stuff, usually coming down to an individual's subjective belief of what a Nexus may or may not be.

Reactions: 2defmouze

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It's just a metaphysical viewpoint on stuff, usually coming down to an individual's subjective belief of what a Nexus may or may not be.

This.

In perhaps less abstract terms, different users have different viewpoints about what levels of carrier (Verizon) integration/interference (update vetting, data usage restrictions, pre-installed apps) disqualify a "Nexus"-branded phone from retaining the 'authentic' (again, open to interpretation) "Nexus" (Google) experience.

Last edited:

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
My short list definition of a nexus as follows.
Easily unlocked and rooted
Vanilla android
No manufacturer skins
No carrier bloatware(city I.D, Let's Golf, etc. I don't consider My Verizon bloatware. VZW backup assistant, toss up on that one.)
People get all up in arms because the updates don't come right from Google. There is something about the keys to connect to the CDMA network that the carriers won't release. So Sprint and Verizon have to test and approve each update which will slow down the process compared to GSM phones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
This.

In perhaps less abstract terms, different users have different viewpoints about what levels of carrier (Verizon) integration/interference (update vetting, data usage restrictions, pre-installed apps) disqualify a "Nexus"-branded phone from retaining the 'authentic' (again, open to interpretation) "Nexus" (Google) experience.

I think it is pretty safe to say this phone delivers a true Google experience sans the late 4.0.4 update.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been on this forum in quite awhile. I remember I once spent almost all my time on the internet here, waiting on the Gnex release LOL.

The Verizon Nexus never really felt like a pure Google phone as I have experienced it in the past but, I don't dispute that it's a real nexus phone.

Now that I've learned how to Root and am comfortable installing custom roms, having a pure Google device on any particular network is not as important to me as it once was. When the next nexus device is released, if there is any carrier interference, I can now make the phone I purchased my own the way I want it.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
How many threads do we need on this subject? Its even been talked about on the podcast.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been on this forum in quite awhile. I remember I once spent almost all my time on the internet here, waiting on the Gnex release LOL.

The Verizon Nexus never really felt like a pure Google phone as I have experienced it in the past but, I don't dispute that it's a real nexus phone.

Now that I've learned how to Root and am comfortable installing custom roms, having a pure Google device on any particular network is not as important to me as it once was. When the next nexus device is released, if there is any carrier interference, I can now make the phone I purchased my own the way I want it.
Which is one of the nicest things about a phone like this.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've been (impatiently) waiting for the Nexus to get updated to fix the issues that made me stray from it in the first place, and I'm not too pleased that Verizon has such a heavy hand in the update process. I'll be the first to admit I don't fully understand how all that works. But why would Verizon "have" to have a hand in the update process because of CDMA radios when Apple releases their update to the masses for CDMA and GSM phones and it doesn't seem to have any effect on the radios whatsoever.

I'm definitely not bashing Android and singing the praises of Apple. I just don't understand why Samsung has to run it through Verizon when Apple doesn't. I want the Nexus to work like it should. It's such an awesome phone.

I agree with what others have said about what makes a Nexus. And Verizon's overly aggressive hand is the only thing I see that would make it "not be a Nexus."

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Google is the one that sends the updates. Verizon is the one that has to give the thumbs up.

I would guess the update isn't too far off. I'm happy with it right now so I'm not very upset.

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I've read many threads, most of them flaming one phone or another, but I've read many people writing that the Galaxy Nexus isn't a "real Nexus." Why the hell would people say that? This phone, which I recently upgraded to from a Rezound, is the best performing phone I've ever owned. Thoughts?

You may be referring to the difficulties Google has run into working with CDMA carries and devices. Its true that a few months back Google made the decision to stop releasing or pushing official development ICS versions to Galaxy Nexus CDMA phones. It has something to do with legalities and problems inherent within CDMA technology and licenses. I'm no lawyer so i don't completely understand the whole problem but I do know enough that until CDMA carriers change some things, having a Nexus device on their services makes it difficult for Google to develope on.

This could be what you've stumbled upon in certain threads.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
An update can consist of 4 parts:
system image
boot image
recovery image
radio image

Google builds the system image, boot image, recovery image from their source code.

Samsung and Verizon build the radio image.

In the system image, there are a handful of files that need changed because the Nexus is on a CDMA network. Google does not have the required licenses to re-distribute these files, they must come from Samsung and Verizon.

Google has a penta-band unlocked reference device. They build a version of Android for it, and test on it. When it passes their testing, the update is ready as far as Google is concerned. Verizon and Samsung then take that update (probably in the form of source code, not zip files) and make the required changes to allow the Nexus to work on a CDMA network. When finished, they give the green light for the update to be distributed from Google's servers.

Take everything above, and apply it to LTE as well, since it's a very closed and proprietary standard.

Because these versions are different when built, they need a different version number. This is why the GSM Nexus and CDMA Nexus will never be on the same version.

4.0.4 is the current version of Android. Any fixes special or specific to the CDMA Nexus are not included -- because Google does not have license to include them.

4.0.5 (maybe) will be the version for CDMA. It will never be in AOSP, because it uses code that is not open source.

Now is the time to ask any other questions. I'll try to answer if I know the answer.

Last edited:

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Wait a sec. I'm not getting in on the real vs fake Nexus argument right now, but just because its the best performing phone you've ever used doesn't make it a Nexus...

The phone can be great and not a Nexus at the same time. Those things aren't mutually exclusive. I think people take it the wrong way when some say that the Verizon model is a "fake", assuming that that means its not a capable device.

Reactions: jroc

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Wait a sec. I'm not getting in on the real vs fake Nexus argument right now, but just because its the best performing phone you've ever used doesn't make it a Nexus...

Don't get me started Andrew. :p

The people who make the phone, write the software, and coined the term Nexus decided it was. Anyone else can crow all they like, but their definition has little bearing

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me started Andrew. :p

The people who make the phone, write the software, and coined the term Nexus decided it was. Anyone else can crow all they like, but their definition has little bearing

Hah okay Jerry, just thought I'd throw it out there. I think your previous post was quite informative and gets people to ask the right (technical) questions about the subject.

And yes I agree, what some random people say has little bearing to what "Nexus" really means. Google (who make the device and distribute the software) are the first and last authority on what device is a Nexus.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Hah okay Jerry, just thought I'd throw it out there. I think your previous post was quite informative and gets people to ask the right (technical) questions about the subject.

And yes I agree, what some random people say has little bearing to what "Nexus" really means. Google (who make the device and distribute the software) are the first and last authority on what device is a Nexus.

Which brings forth the real question:

What is a Nexus?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Which brings forth the real question:

What is a Nexus?

Think you'd be hard pressed to get an on the record statement from someone at Google telling you what they define it as, if only to not start an amazing flame war (even worse than what's going on now!) from every single Galaxy Nexus owner.

I'd assume that the "purists" would say that a Nexus is a device which can get its fully functioning software compiled directly from AOSP/Google with no strings attached.

It of course hits a grey area because I'm sure Google would love to be able to freely distribute the CDMA/LTE radios if they could, but they simply aren't allowed to. Which then brings another, deeper grey area as to why they decided to try and make a "Nexus" on Verizon in the first place if they knew ahead of time that they wouldn't be able to distribute the radios.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance