Galaxy Nexus Problems

MagicMountainMan

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Long story short, I just bought a gnex off Ebay and noticed that it was running a little hot. I proceeded to put AOKP on the phone with Franco's kernel and under-volted and all that jazz. Forever it didn't seem to do much as the thing still cooks at about 55c (checked temps in the Franco updater app) every time I have the screen on for more than a minute. It's weird to me, but to all of you more experienced owners, is this normal?

Also, there seems to be some screen burn in on the middle left of the screen that is especially noticeable when displaying brighter shades. Also, even on the highest brightness there still seems to be an underlying papery pattern that doesn't go away.

Overall, are these typical problems or should I try to contact the seller and Paypal to give me a refund?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It can get a bit warm or hot after extended usage, but just after a minute is not normal. Does it remain warm or hot when not in use? How's your coverage in the area? I only ask because mine tends to get hot in my pocket (hah!) when I'm in a building where it struggles to get a signal, e.g. my grocery store. Have you tried running it for a few days on a completely stock ROM to see if it remains hot/warm after short usage, especially after performing a factory reset of your phone?

I'm no knowledge expert on the subject, so perhaps someone else can chime in but "screen burn in" can be a typical problem with AMOLED displays like on our GNex. While not necessarily normal, it can certainly happen if you leave the display on for a long period of time with static objects on the screen (such as the navigation and status bar). It's a typical problem with these types of screens that can be mitigated by turning off the screen when not in use and keeping brightness down. If it's really bad then it certainly warrants a refund on those grounds, especially if the seller shipped it to you like that and described the phone as in good condition otherwise. I'm not sure how difficult that would be with Ebay and Paypal, so I can't be of any help there. :(

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried getting an app to "watch" what's going on--like Watchdog or Better Battery Stats? Franco's app may or may not have some temperature panel as well (but don't quote me on it, it's earlier). I suggest monitoring the usage--particularly when it's hot, and finding the app that's doing it.

It may be worthwhile to clear cache/dalvik as well.

MagicMountainMan

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Signal in my area is in the -90 to -100dB range for 4g. And even on wifi the thing still cooks in the 45c range. Also, I did clear both cache partitions when I installed the ROM. I've read about screen burn in around the notification bar area, but not in the middle of the screen.

So should I really bother trying to run this thing stock or should I just try to get my money back?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
depends, how much did you pay for it? With screen burn in and hot temperatures unless you specifically knew about both of those issues before you bought it I would scream foul play and request your money back. Getting hot at idle isnt good, what do you think its going to do if you try to play a game on it?

But if you only paid like 50 buccks for it you may have a hard time getting your money back, in that case youd be best to try to resell it, either way I wouldnt keep it with those issues.

MagicMountainMan

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I paid 300 for it... And the seller said that it was in perfect condition besides a little knick on the bottom left hand side.

They said nothing about running hot or screen burn in.

Edit: I just contacted the seller and told them about the two problems, we shall see what they say.

Last edited:

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I would try to get your money back, you WAY overpaid for that phone in the condition its in.

MagicMountainMan

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
According to the product page, I can't return it to the seller, but it's protected through Ebay Buyer Protection... I'll see how it goes, I'm pretty pissed.

MagicMountainMan

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to double post, but this is kind of important...
I contacted the seller and they told me that their "product descriptions are always accurate" and that it was their daily driver so they know what the condition the phone was in and they haven't responded since.

Does anybody have experience dealing with this through Ebay?

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, if you used Paypal you'll probably be OK. Paypal makes life a pain in the butt for the seller when a complaint is submitted that a product, "is not as advertised". Stick to your guns.
Mine gets somewhat hot, but only after extended GPS / Navigation use. In standby, I don't get any heat. Like it was mentioned above, make sure there is no process running afoul that could cause the processor to run wild. When it gets hot, does your battery die very early?

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Yours is definitely defective. Been browsing the tapatalk app for 15 min on one bar lte and my battery is at 82.4°F. Its barely warm near the top middle of the screen close to the earpeice.

MagicMountainMan

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay good I'm glad to hear Paypal is good to work with.

What are the steps that I should take exactly to make sure it isn't a rouge app? My battery does drain really quickly when the screen is on, but does pretty decent when it's off. When the screen and 4g is on, I'd say it drains about a percent a minute to a minute and a half.

And I have yet to turn the phone on and see temps less then 85F...

bagarwa

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
mine tends to get hot in my pocket (hah!) when I'm in a building where it struggles to get a signal, e.g. my grocery store.

Ohhhh... so that's what it's doing. And I was wondering all these time why all of a sudden I'm having hotpocket (not the food, but literally hot-pocket) :p

And my screen becomes hot pan while playing angry birds. youo touch it and skin burns. Apart from these two, it's alright.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
hell mine gets hot just sitting in my pocket...

I'd say you have a problem. Mine only gets warm in my pocket if app is still running and burning cycles or signal is lost and phone keeps trying to find the signal.

MagicMountainMan

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Well I restored my Nandroid I made when I first rooted and after running a game and using 4g the temps are now down to 35c. Now I'm just confused...

However there's still a darker patch on the screen where it's burned in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis