[ICS][4.0.4][4/2] Official IMM76K Update Thread for the VZW GNex

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
[WARN]First, flashing anything is at your own risk. I will be updating this thread once I can get a screenshot. Regardless of method used, this is an update from the official 4.0.2 build, so you must be on that build with those radios until an alternative method is developed.[/WARN]

screenshot2012050200381.png

[INFO]For Unlocked, Rooted, Stock 4.0.2 Rom Folks:
  1. To install this update, you must be on the stock 4.0.2 rom with the stock 4.0.2 radios. The stock 4.0.2 rom build # is "ICL53F," while the stock 4.0.2 radios are "EK02/EK05." If you are unsure, check under "About Phone" in settings. You must be rooted and unlocked to apply this update through this method (alternative methods will be added).
  2. Download the NEW IMM76K PACKAGE here. Mirrors (of the "old" package) are available here and here.
  3. Rename the file to "update.zip" (this may not be necessary, but it doesn't hurt).
  4. Place the file on your SDcard.
  5. Reboot into recovery (ClockworkMod, etc.), and make a nandroid. If you have ROM Manager, simply open ROM Manager and select "Reboot into Recovery." If you do not, turn your phone off, then hold down "Volume Up" "Volume Down" and "Power." This gets you to the bootloader. Use the volume keys to select "Recovery," then press power to actually select it. That will put you into CWM Recovery.
  6. Flash the update.zip file by selecting "Install .zip from sdcard" and navigating to where you placed the update.zip file and applying that .zip.
  7. Reboot. Note that you will lose root unless you have an app like RootKeeper or re-root. Please reference posts in this thread and the note below regarding what has worked for maintaining root/re-rooting.

For Unlocked but NOT Rooted Stock 4.0.2 Folks:

1. This alternative method requires some familiarity with fastboot. If you have no idea what that is, or if you are barely acquainted with it, I suggest reading the guides linked in here or using the method above.
  2. Download ClockworkMod Recovery (touch or non-touch, your preference) from here. Please make sure you're downloading it for the Verizon model! Place this file in the same folder where "fastboot.exe" resides.
  3. Place the rom on your SDcard, renamed just like above. (Remember where you put it ;)).
  4. Boot into fastboot with USB debugging checked (Developer Options), and whatever you do, do not disconnect the USB that runs between your phone and your computer.
  5. Open up the command prompt or terminal window, navigate to where your fastboot folder is, and type the following:
    fastboot boot recovery name-of-recovery-file.img
    Obviously, the "name-of-recovery-file.img" will be what recovery file you download and place in the folder.
  6. What this does is it boots you--temporarily, if you will--into CWM recovery. Make a nandroid (a backup) and then install the zip like you would above.
  7. Reboot into victory.

[/INFO]

[NOTE]
  • If you have a stock device and want to unlock and root your device, then go here if you have a Windows PC (or Mac) and here if you want a Mac-specific guide. If you have a Windows PC and prefer a "one-click" method to unlocking and rooting, please download and use Wug's Toolkit. For guides to rooting, flashing, etc., please see CyberWarrior's amazing guide here and my own Don't Panic guide here for an overview of the basic concepts involved with customizing your Galaxy Nexus.
  • If you are on a custom rom and wish to flash the OTA, then at this point I advise backing everything up and using the above guides/toolkit to revert to stock. After that, unlock/root as normal, install CWM per the guides, and go from there using the instructions in the box supra.
  • If you want to keep root, RootKeeper has worked but for some it has not--perhaps because a wipe was performed out of habit. If using RootKeeper--do not wipe! Also, user sbtxxl had success with using a modified SuperUser binary. Please consult his post here on what he did to maintain root after updating. In a nutshell, you flash the modified binary in CWM after you update. To keep CWM (so you can use it to flash), you either use it temporarily (ala fastboot/toolkit) or by deleting the "recovery" folder from within the zip, rezipping without compression, and using that update.zip sans recovery so CWM maintains its place as rightful king of the recoverers.
[/NOTE]

As always, if you have any questions please feel free to ask them here. If the questions pertain to unlocking/rooting, etc., it might be better to ask them in the linked guides/threads so they get a bit more traction.

Last but not least, a big thanks to everyone who's helped, particularly whomever tracked down the link via LogCat, may they be on XDA or Droid-Life, Cyber Warrior, zero neck, Xfanatic (for the screenshot), Paul627g (for the mirror), sbtxxl, and spun2u for the second dropbox mirror!

UPDATE 5/29 - It is official. Visit Software Update: Galaxy Nexus by Samsung - Coming Soon! for instructions, features, etc. etc. This is the same update as posted here, mind you. Hat tip to everyone involved, and the awesome AC.com news article here.

UPDATE 4/2 - It appears that the massive roll out is occurring. Some rooted users, however, have had the unfortunate pleasure of not being able to update while rooted, most likely because of the existence of a custom recovery like CWM. Therefore, if you choose to automatically update, I suggest making sure that you have a stock recovery. Please use the guides available in our development/rom subforum to get to that point ;).

Godspeed and Merry Flashing :).

Last edited:

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind, intrepid AC'rs ==> this is not the leaked OTA seen above, but a custom rom with the radios from this build. :)

Oh yeah... I forgot I wasn't in the crackflashers lair.

But hey, if you like what you see in my screenies there, just ask away and we'd be glad to help you get there... or somewhere else too for that matter.

Have fun guys, and make sure to thank all the guys here that create threads like this for us all to reap the benefits. Good peeps here, let them know you appreciate them.

A big thanks to droidth3ory for putting this in a flashable zip for us. The devs working on this device are incredible!

*customized tapatalk signature*

Reactions: dmmarck

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ICS][4.0.4] Official IMM76K Update Thread for the VZW GNex

Oh yeah... I forgot I wasn't in the crackflashers lair.

But hey, if you like what you see in my screenies there, just ask away and we'd be glad to help you get there... or somewhere else too for that matter.

Have fun guys, and make sure to thank all the guys here that create threads like this for us all to reap the benefits. Good peeps here, let them know you appreciate them.

A big thanks to droidth3ory for putting this in a flashable zip for us. The devs working on this device are incredible!

That reminds me--if you're on a custom rom, regardless of the radios you are running, go to zero necks guide with the brand new leaked radios from this build. A developer, DroidTh3ory, has put together a nice package that patches the LTE radio and flashes the new CDMA radio and bootloader.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

hey oxy... im running AOKP M5, but am still completely noob to this (pretty much following instructions for unlock/root/flash via cwm, but not really fully understanding anything beyond that), so hoping you can help!!

my radios are still from 4.0.2 - EK05/EK02

1. how do i tell if i have the 4.0.2 bootloader?

2. can i flash the new radios without losing root/having to reapply AOKP (have all my settings, etc juuuust so)

3. what do i need to do? i checked rootz and AC, and i see the flashable zips for the new radios are around.

(1) Check zero's radio guide. He answers most of this.

(2) I believe you have the 4.0.2 bootloader unless you purposefully flash over it with the leaked 4.0.4 one. The new leaked radio package includes the new bootloader and is automated. Put it on your SDcard and flash it (wipe cache/dalvik too) and you're good to go.

ekinnyc

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

thanks!
does wiping cache/dalvik affect the rom, etc? so far ive just been doing:

nandroid
full wipe
flash aokp
flash gapps
restore apps via appextractor.

the only custom thing i did beyond flashing aokp is a diff boot animation.

as an aside... besides scouring multiple threads on AC, rootz, and xda, is there a one-destination guide for learning more about rooting, etc? i dont want to develop or anything, but at least want to get good in-depth knowledge of all ths stuff

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

thanks!

nandroid
full wipe
flash aokp
flash gapps

as an aside... besides scouring multiple threads on AC, rootz, and xda, is there a one-destination guide for learning more about rooting, etc? i dont want to develop or anything, but at least want to get good in-depth knowledge of all ths stuff

Check the guides I linked to above. CyberWarriors stuff is amazing. My Don't Panic guide is sort of like a guide for the everyman, so you might be interested in that as well.

Also, for roms that's generally how you do it (although that's off topic in this thread ;)). I suggest going to the AOKP thread for more direct support there :).

ekinnyc

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

hmm... mine actually got worse.

402 radios:
signal - 83dBm
3g: 112kb/113kb
4g: 1294.2kb/88.9kb

404 radios:
signal -83dBm
3g: 51kb/76kb
4g: 837kb/502

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
thanks!

nandroid
full wipe
flash aokp
flash gapps

Like DM said, let's take this into the root/rom/hack section. See you there!

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Appears that Google has removed the link to the latest 4.0.4 in the OP.

xeroslash

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

Yep, no dice on the link. Man, I thought I got in quick too :(

Waiting excitedly :p

Reactions: dmmarck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20