GMail App...No Group Emailing

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think that this is a needed feature for the GMail app on Android. They have passed the app off as being almost identical to the desktop version, but for mobile. Yet, a feature that screams efficient productivity is left out. No one wants to type out individual email addresses when composing an email to a group. This feature has long been a staple in GMail on desktops. It just makes no sense that this feature is not supported, especially for those of us who have ICS on our phones and have no clue as to why there are groups in our people app yet we can't send anything to the group.

Can anyone answer why the GMail app does not support groups? I think it's time we got down the bottom of this.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to type out the full address if the addresses are in your contacts, all you have to do is start typing the address and you can select the address. I know that isn't exactly what you're looking for but...

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Semantics man. I do know that you dont have to type out the whole address. But it's just as annoying. When sending an email to more than 4 people this is a tedious and unnecessary task. On top of that, it also sometimes becomes a task remembering everyone that needs to be sent that email.

trevorcpa

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I think that this is a needed feature for the GMail app on Android. They have passed the app off as being almost identical to the desktop version, but for mobile. Yet, a feature that screams efficient productivity is left out. No one wants to type out individual email addresses when composing an email to a group. This feature has long been a staple in GMail on desktops. It just makes no sense that this feature is not supported, especially for those of us who have ICS on our phones and have no clue as to why there are groups in our people app yet we can't send anything to the group.

Can anyone answer why the GMail app does not support groups? I think it's time we got down the bottom of this.

I agree with you. I would love to have this feature on the GMail app.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Semantics man. I do know that you dont have to type out the whole address. But it's just as annoying. When sending an email to more than 4 people this is a tedious and unnecessary task. On top of that, it also sometimes becomes a task remembering everyone that needs to be sent that email.

I have no way of knowing what you know or don't know. I've known people who didn't know they could turn off the screen by pressing the power button.
I was just trying to help.
If you read the last line it says "I know that isn't exactly what you're looking for but..."

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Screw that I want mass delete box.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I hear you man, but come on man. Out of a whole paragraph that outlined what I was referring to, you sent me a response telling me that you don't have to type out the whole address. I even summed up that paragraph with the question after, "Can anyone answer why the GMail app does not support groups? I think it's time we got down the bottom of this." And your response didn't address that at all. Then you put that you know that isn't exactly what I'm looking for...so why even post it man?

frhokie

May 9, 2012
Visit site
As a long time gmail and android user I could not agree more about the need to integrate gmail app with groups. One thing that I did realize with new OS (may have been in the older OS too) is that the groups do load to the contact groups... which is only partially helpful. By choosing the group you can send a message to the group, however this still does not allow you to reply to or forward to a group. It definitely is not solution but is better than what I thought was available just a few days ago... which was zero integration...

Unfortunately I am not aware of either a better solution or a reason why this is not core functionality.

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
frhokie,

Selecting a group on my Galaxy Nexus does not give me an option to send a message to the group. I am totally clueless as to what you're referring. I wish I could do at least that.

Iceman0803

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Desktop has it. just not mobile

Really? I could've sworn the desktop will only mark the first 50 or 100 per Page (depending on settings) as read. Didn't think there was a way to select ALL unread mail at once.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Yea that is what I meant. Still better then selecting one at a time
Really? I could've sworn the desktop will only mark the first 50 or 100 per Page (depending on settings) as read. Didn't think there was a way to select ALL unread mail at once.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Kenneth L

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it is very frustrating to not be able to send emails to groups. One the pics people app the group shows up, but there is no way to email the whole group.

Does anyone know a solution for this.

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Having the people app sync my groups just pushes a button for me. In ICS, you can see and click on groups you've created, but beyond that there is little to be done. You click on a group and you can only select one contact, and then you're right back to typing an individual contact name waiting for their icon to show up. I think that's the more frustrating thing for me. They have groups, but groups serves no function except for organization, which is ridiculous for those of us that have become so accustomed to using groups in our everyday tasks in gmail. I shouldn't have to go to a whole other app for this.

Chucky1

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I have my contacts set into groups on my phone. When I want to email a particular group, I go to contacts/choose the group to email/menu/choose email/then select all or just certain ones in that group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

lucindas102

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
This is how I get around not being able to use the group email function. When I do have a chance to be on a computer then I save drafts of emails for my group and title them draft 1, draft 2, etc. THEN if I need to send the group email from my phone I pull up the draft and type and send. It WILL send to the group. A little archaic but I have used that trick for sending to many of my soccer teams. Good luck.

garettMcD

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CbBartley, I couldn't agree with you more and from the sounds of it, its not possible. Bummer. The only reason I can think of is Google is trying to get us away from sending group emails and texts and start using Google+ and the messenger app that comes with it. Or maybe its a crack deal they had to do with the cell carriers. I'm on an unlocked galaxy nexus from the Play store.

garettMcD

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I have my contacts set into groups on my phone. When I want to email a particular group, I go to contacts/choose the group to email/menu/choose email/then select all or just certain ones in that group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Are you using the samsungs skinTouchwiz? Not sure your example works on stock android on a Nexus

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma