Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Default GMail App...No Group Emailing

I think that this is a needed feature for the GMail app on Android. They have passed the app off as being almost identical to the desktop version, but for mobile. Yet, a feature that screams efficient productivity is left out. No one wants to type out individual email addresses when composing an email to a group. This feature has long been a staple in GMail on desktops. It just makes no sense that this feature is not supported, especially for those of us who have ICS on our phones and have no clue as to why there are groups in our people app yet we can't send anything to the group.

Can anyone answer why the GMail app does not support groups? I think it's time we got down the bottom of this.

Default Re: GMail App...No Group Emailing

You don't have to type out the full address if the addresses are in your contacts, all you have to do is start typing the address and you can select the address. I know that isn't exactly what you're looking for but...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Semantics man. I do know that you dont have to type out the whole address. But it's just as annoying. When sending an email to more than 4 people this is a tedious and unnecessary task. On top of that, it also sometimes becomes a task remembering everyone that needs to be sent that email.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cbbartley View Post
    I think that this is a needed feature for the GMail app on Android. They have passed the app off as being almost identical to the desktop version, but for mobile. Yet, a feature that screams efficient productivity is left out. No one wants to type out individual email addresses when composing an email to a group. This feature has long been a staple in GMail on desktops. It just makes no sense that this feature is not supported, especially for those of us who have ICS on our phones and have no clue as to why there are groups in our people app yet we can't send anything to the group.

Can anyone answer why the GMail app does not support groups? I think it's time we got down the bottom of this.
    I agree with you. I would love to have this feature on the GMail app.

Quote Originally Posted by cbbartley View Post
    Semantics man. I do know that you dont have to type out the whole address. But it's just as annoying. When sending an email to more than 4 people this is a tedious and unnecessary task. On top of that, it also sometimes becomes a task remembering everyone that needs to be sent that email.
    I have no way of knowing what you know or don't know. I've known people who didn't know they could turn off the screen by pressing the power button.
    I was just trying to help.
    If you read the last line it says "I know that isn't exactly what you're looking for but..."
    Thanked by:
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Screw that I want mass delete box.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

I hear you man, but come on man. Out of a whole paragraph that outlined what I was referring to, you sent me a response telling me that you don't have to type out the whole address. I even summed up that paragraph with the question after, "Can anyone answer why the GMail app does not support groups? I think it's time we got down the bottom of this." And your response didn't address that at all. Then you put that you know that isn't exactly what I'm looking for...so why even post it man?

As a long time gmail and android user I could not agree more about the need to integrate gmail app with groups. One thing that I did realize with new OS (may have been in the older OS too) is that the groups do load to the contact groups... which is only partially helpful. By choosing the group you can send a message to the group, however this still does not allow you to reply to or forward to a group. It definitely is not solution but is better than what I thought was available just a few days ago... which was zero integration...

Unfortunately I am not aware of either a better solution or a reason why this is not core functionality.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

frhokie,

Selecting a group on my Galaxy Nexus does not give me an option to send a message to the group. I am totally clueless as to what you're referring. I wish I could do at least that.

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Screw that I want mass delete box.

Mark all unread (on both phone and desktop) would be another nice addition as well. That's one of the few things I miss from my BB days.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Desktop has it. just not mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman0803 View Post
    Mark all unread (on both phone and desktop) would be another nice addition as well. That's one of the few things I miss from my BB days.

Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Desktop has it. just not mobile

Really? I could've sworn the desktop will only mark the first 50 or 100 per Page (depending on settings) as read. Didn't think there was a way to select ALL unread mail at once.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Yea that is what I meant. Still better then selecting one at a time
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman0803 View Post
    Really? I could've sworn the desktop will only mark the first 50 or 100 per Page (depending on settings) as read. Didn't think there was a way to select ALL unread mail at once.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I agree that it is very frustrating to not be able to send emails to groups. One the pics people app the group shows up, but there is no way to email the whole group.

Does anyone know a solution for this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Having the people app sync my groups just pushes a button for me. In ICS, you can see and click on groups you've created, but beyond that there is little to be done. You click on a group and you can only select one contact, and then you're right back to typing an individual contact name waiting for their icon to show up. I think that's the more frustrating thing for me. They have groups, but groups serves no function except for organization, which is ridiculous for those of us that have become so accustomed to using groups in our everyday tasks in gmail. I shouldn't have to go to a whole other app for this.

When I had a need to send emails to a "large group" I use to use Contacts Group U

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...UuYW5kcm9pZCJd

It worked for what I needed. good luck, the more I use the Droid the more I wish it had some of the BB features I was sooo use tooo.

Best of luck.

Xanth
    camanokid likes this.

Global Posts
    534 Global Posts

I have my contacts set into groups on my phone. When I want to email a particular group, I go to contacts/choose the group to email/menu/choose email/then select all or just certain ones in that group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    ScottB18077 likes this.

This is how I get around not being able to use the group email function. When I do have a chance to be on a computer then I save drafts of emails for my group and title them draft 1, draft 2, etc. THEN if I need to send the group email from my phone I pull up the draft and type and send. It WILL send to the group. A little archaic but I have used that trick for sending to many of my soccer teams. Good luck.
    Thanked by 2:
    Eddie Wimberley likes this.

CbBartley, I couldn't agree with you more and from the sounds of it, its not possible. Bummer. The only reason I can think of is Google is trying to get us away from sending group emails and texts and start using Google+ and the messenger app that comes with it. Or maybe its a crack deal they had to do with the cell carriers. I'm on an unlocked galaxy nexus from the Play store.

Quote Originally Posted by Chucky1 View Post
    I have my contacts set into groups on my phone. When I want to email a particular group, I go to contacts/choose the group to email/menu/choose email/then select all or just certain ones in that group.

Are you using the samsungs skinTouchwiz? Not sure your example works on stock android on a Nexus

Global Posts
    534 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garettMcD View Post
    Are you using the samsungs skinTouchwiz? Not sure your example works on stock android on a Nexus
    My phone is completely stock.

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Yeah, it's amazing that with all this talk of innovation, that these companies keep hindering very productive features or leaving them out completely.

You'd think that group emailing would be addressed before mobile/ virtual assistants.
    You are very easily ignored if you easily stay silent!

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Sometimes I wonder about Google. I mean, group sending is such a no brainer! How could they miss that? What else are they missing? Come on Google!

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xanth269 View Post
    When I had a need to send emails to a "large group" I use to use Contacts Group U

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...UuYW5kcm9pZCJd

It worked for what I needed. good luck, the more I use the Droid the more I wish it had some of the BB features I was sooo use tooo.

Best of luck.

Xanth
    I just downloaded this app. It's free, and it seems to do just what we are looking for. I opened the app, and there were all my gmail groups. All I had to do was tap on one and then tap on "email". It seems to have tools for managing groups as well, although I have not tried them yet.

Hey, thanks for this thread! I've needed this feature for years and first now realised I can send to a group through the contacts app. Grrreeaaat!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast