Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By asmallchild
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wifi Tether Problems on 4.0.4

So I was been running stock 4.0.2 rooted & unlocked for a while and I used wifi tether all the time with no issues but I just flashed that update that came out a couple days ago and can't get wifi tether to work anymore. I'm still rooted & unlocked and I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling but still no luck. Anyone else having/had this problem and know of a solution?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Wifi Tether Problems on 4.0.4

Hotspot's still working for me after flashing the latest 4.0.4 update.

I would have thought Verizon would have patched this.. guess not lol.

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts

Have your tried FoxFI? It does tethering without rooting. It's working fine on 4.0.4

I also have issues with tethering on my Galaxy nexus...
    When using the USB tethering, it never works. a few seconds after my laptop finds and connects to the mobile network it turns off the USB tethering on my device. go figure...
    When using Wifi hotspot - I can actually connect my laptop and from the laptop side this seems like it should work but whenever I try to access any website it just fails, while at the same time I have internet connection on my device and can easily access different websites, sync my email etc.

Any ideas ?

Global Posts
    1,565 Global Posts
    ROM

What is the deal with tethering?

I noticed that it works splendidly after I rooted and flashed the AOKP M5 ROM

but isn't this the same feature that VZW is trying to sell to us? Mobile hotspot?

Isn't there some way for them to track that people are utilizing this feature somehow?
    drathos likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

It's saying wifi tether started with errors a day to check the show log but when I open the show log it says something like doesn't exist. I tried taking away root access to see if it would ask for it again but it isn't even asking for the permission. Help?

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Bump

Does the SwitchPro Widget method (here) still work in 4.0.4?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

When I need to I use the standard wifi tether app.. Away from comp and can't link now but if you Google "wifi tether" it's like the first thing that comes up. Works like charm for me.

ROM
    Stock

I use a wifi tether widget and elixer and both still work

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I also have issues with tethering on my Galaxy nexus...
    When using the USB tethering, it never works. a few seconds after my laptop finds and connects to the mobile network it turns off the USB tethering on my device. go figure...
    When using Wifi hotspot - I can actually connect my laptop and from the laptop side this seems like it should work but whenever I try to access any website it just fails, while at the same time I have internet connection on my device and can easily access different websites, sync my email etc.

Any ideas ?
    ========================

I have the same problem..;it connect but still not working....

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ace8707 View Post
    It's saying wifi tether started with errors a day to check the show log but when I open the show log it says something like doesn't exist. I tried taking away root access to see if it would ask for it again but it isn't even asking for the permission. Help?

You need to update the SU binary. You can do it in the settings of SU.

Updated the SU binaries (twice) and still no luck. Somebody on another forum said something about a hotspot app that's 2.99 but I can't find it. I need my wi-fi tethering, the only real reason for me to be rooted.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I lost it when I flashed the Verizon 4.04 update despite have root keeper, re rooting etc. When I flashed over to AOKP it worked fine. I'm not sure if it was a problem with the SU or the flash or what but that's what eventually fixed it for me.