1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default 4G Speeds?

Hey all I am just wondering what everyone is getting for 4G speeds lately. I am based out of Fargo, ND and I am running what feels extremely slow. Youtube never used to buffer but as of late its buffering like crazy. Now from what I know Verizon does not throttle 4G. I will admit my data usage is high around 5GB+ this month from constant streaming. I am averaging 3 MB down and around 1.5 MB up and I used to average 13 MB+. Any insight is appreciated.

Default Re: 4G Speeds?

6 down 1 up on good day. Bad day < 1 and maybe .2 up. ATT UGLC radio and 4.04.

24 Down 9 Up

ROM
    stock

In the middle of the night I've seen as high as 26 down. Most of the time it hovers around 10 down. I'm in L.A.

11 down and 6-7 up....Pittsburgh PA

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

Highest that I've had is 32 down in Manchester NH, In Boston I tend to get 3G speeds. I suspect that the Boston makes it hard for Verizon to site it's cell towers.

I find that speeds are really dependent on the time of day.
    Middle of the day speed is around 10 mbps and like 4 or 5 am it goes to over 30 in my area.

24 down, 12 up
    North-east of Philadelphia

Not bad here in ABQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4G Speeds?-uploadfromtaptalk1336594485937.jpg  

This is from the Target parking lot near my house (Minneapolis). My previous ATT phone would only get phantom connection here under the main TV broadcast towers. VZ on the other hand...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4G Speeds?-screenshot_2012-04-04-21-38-56.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bigguy_132 View Post
    Hey all I am just wondering what everyone is getting for 4G speeds lately. I am based out of Fargo, ND and I am running what feels extremely slow. Youtube never used to buffer but as of late its buffering like crazy. Now from what I know Verizon does not throttle 4G. I will admit my data usage is high around 5GB+ this month from constant streaming. I am averaging 3 MB down and around 1.5 MB up and I used to average 13 MB+. Any insight is appreciated.
    If your experiencing slow youtube with speeds like that there are other problems. I agree its slow for 4G but if your on the old "unlimited plan" then they can throttle down to 3G over 5gb.
    Last edited by zedorda; 05-10-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    If your experiencing slow youtube with speeds like that there are other problems. I agree its slow for 4G but if your on the old "unlimited plan" then they do throttle down to 3G over 5gb.
    Verizon does not throttle down like that. I use and average of 20+ gigs a month. The only way Verizon slows you down is if there is a lot of users on the tower.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Just saying because I worked for the big red monster until last month.

Why do my posts keep getting deleted?

All I said Verizon doesn't throttle based on usage ...

ROM
    stock

I use 30 or 40 gigs a month and I don't get throttled.

I have seen speeds of 51 down and 21 up. Only in a special spot by a tower, i assume.. I average anywhere in kansas city at like 18-21 down and like 9-ish up.
    I also average about 7 gigs a month (up to 12 gigs when i use it to tether and play starcraft2) and i have never been throttled either.

ROM
    You Jelly Huh 2.1

I've been on the Verizon unlimited data plan for as long as I can remember. They don't throttle you. I average about 6-7gbs of data (looking at my last 5 billing cycles and average usage). My recent LTE Speed test just showed me 21mbps down and about 15.5mbps up. San Antonio, TX here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    My Galaxy Note 2 tells me to have a beer! Okay!!!

Sorry I edited my post to reflect what the contract states. They are completely allowed to throttle speeds over 5gb+. Just because it doesn't happen to everyone doesn't mean it can't. So it is still a perfectly reasonable possibility.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Sorry I edited my post to reflect what the contract states. They are completely allowed to throttle speeds over 5gb+. Just because it doesn't happen to everyone doesn't mean it can't. So it is still a perfectly reasonable possibility.
    It only applies to 3G. And you have to be taxing the tower at that given moment. 4G users don't get throttled.

This is slightly above average for me in the Phoenix area, even for this time of day. Usually it's ~4.50/1 Mbps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4G Speeds?-screenshot_2012-05-11-04-32-53-1-.jpg  

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Harrisburg Pa speeds.

Download 13972 kbps
    Upload 11606 kbps

Omaha, NE
    Not bad, if only 4G was stable around here. Has been out a couple times in last few days.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

ROM
    Stock

Thanks for the input all. I talked with another Nexus owner at my workplace and it seems we are both averaging around 3 MB or so. I am thinking it may be an issue with 4G in Fargo. Although today running speed tests it seems to have gotten better so maybe the issue here has been corrected.

Seems like things in ROCKFORD Illinois are up and down the last few days. Had to ask my son if he had problems on his bionic just to make sure it wasn't my nexus.lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums